U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 PM

30,477 posts, read 20,123,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
How any one could put Reagan before Adams, Jefferson, or Lincoln boggles my mind.

Adams, Jefferson and Lincoln didn't have to clean-up after Carter or dismantle the Soviet Union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 PM

4,375 posts, read 2,757,994 times
1.Barack Obama
2.Barack Obama
3.Barack Obama

I kid, I kid. No doubt there's going to be some Ron Paul supporter or conservative who's going to get upset at that.

Anyway, in no particular order:

1.JFK - Charismatic, liked by many and was exactly what we needed to wash the stink that was that Watergate scandal off the Oval Office. Shame he was taken before his time. He also led us through the Red Scare.

2.FDR - More for the establisment of the 2 term rule, FDR led us through WWII. There has been arguments and evidence that he was corrupt but even then, later on in his presidency it was Eleanor that was practically running things. She was a very powerful woman indeed.

3.George Washington - The first president of the US and the one who mentioned that we ought to not get involved in others affairs, that we ought to not divide ourselves into different factions/political parties (liberals, democrats, conservative, republicans), and that we needed to be one united country.

That's my pick off the top of my head. It's such a shame that this country has veered so far off course of what Washington had in mind for us. That's the fault of EVERYBODY and not just one group in particular.

Liberals, Conservatives, Democrats, and Republicans all have a hand in why we are in the state we are in today. I hope we're proud of ourselves and I applaud everyone.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:57 PM

9,108 posts, read 5,618,729 times
My choices would be Washington, Jefferson and Kennedy. And I am astounded by the number of people who include perhaps the greatest traitor ever to darken the doors of the White House as one of the 3 best. Amazing.

And I'm surprised at how few give JFK the credit he deserves. He's not only my choice for one of the best, but he also represents the last legitimately independent presidents of the United States too, with every one since Kennedy nothing more than frontmen puppets.

Were he not murdered, there is no telling what more he could have accomplished for the nation. As it stands, his wise leadership during the Cuban missile crisis most likely averted nuclear war, and global catastrophe. His efforts to keep in check the military leadership at that point in history is not well known, but for those with accurate historical knowledge, realizes that he faced what could be described as a near psychopathic drive by the military leadership of the day to actually engage a nuclear war with the Soviet Union.

Kennedy's rejection of plans approved by the pentagram, and the Joint Chiefs calling for false flag staged terrorist attacks, including bombing US cities, blowing up commercial aircraft, and even sinking a US Warship to be blamed on Cuba as a pretext for a full US invasion has long been declassified, yet still remains one of the little known secret non-secrets.

His wise refusal to act on the advice from the CIA and the Pentagon to attack those Russian missile sites, and instead set up a naval blockade of Cuba to prevent the completion of the installation, probably averted that much desired World War III, and joint US-Soviet annihilation, resulting in Hundreds of Millions of civilian deaths on both sides.

His firm but rational tactics in dealing with Khrushchev and the nuclear missiles being constructed in Cuba is perhaps the only reason why we are all still here .... and that must go down in the history books as the greatest human tragedies averted, and one of the most profound decisions a US President ever made.

I think rescuing the planet from psychopathic war mongers qualifies JFK for making the list.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 PM

30,477 posts, read 20,123,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
FDR
Washington
Clinton

FDR turned a recession into an self-perpetuating and unending depression.

Clinton set the stage for 9/11 by refusing to do the dirty work he left for "W". Clinton also lobbied for and signed NAFTA and the 2000 China Trade Act, repealed Glass-Steigal and deliberately left CDOs unregulated on advice from his financial working group (Summers, Rubin, Raines). Without Clinton, there is no attack on Americans on 9/11 or financial crisis in 2008.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 PM

3,123 posts, read 2,705,725 times
I take the modern history ones, because we know more about them.
Clinton - He set the country in front of his ideology, improved the economy, reduced the deficits and brought sanity back in congress.

Ronald Reagan - For defending conservative principles, and attracting new groups from society. However, he did increase the debt, and didn't focus enough on income inequality.

John F. Kennedy - He was an uniter, and built up confidence. He avoided a nuclear war, stood up against USSR and made great speaches about going to the moon. Also, he had good values.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 PM

1,231 posts, read 893,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
FDR, Lincoln, then Washington/Jefferson/Wilson in no order for 3rd
Wilson?! You mean the guy who sold us down the river- an event we suffer from to this day?

Quote:
In exchange for financial support for his presidential campaign, Woodrow Wilson agreed that if elected, he would sign the Federal Reserve Act. In December 1913, while many members of Congress were home for Christmas, the Federal Reserve Act was rammed through Congress and signed by President Wilson.

Untitled Document
This is just one of the many, many mistakes Wilson made. Please explain "what's to like" about him in your view.

My favorites are:

1) Jefferson, because he said:

Quote:
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies"

"the principle of spending money to be paid by prosperity under the name of funding is but swindling futurity on a large scale

"If the American people ever allow the banks to control the issuance of their currency.. the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property, until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.”

Untitled Document
Prophetic words indeed.

The next 2 are choices about how I was personally affected by potuses in my life time. I am not a Presidential scholar, so other than liking Jefferson's thinking on the ONE BIG ISSUE, I really don't have the creds to evaluate all these men. So they may well not be the greatest according to scholars, but for me the other two are:

Eisenhower~ because he united the country post war and was a figure that people had confidence in. Also, because he warned us in this great speech:

Military-Industrial Complex Speech, Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

Quote:
Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
And finally, Bubba~ only because life was good during the prosperous Clinton years, both personally and nationally. He was a puppet for the same old ongoing agenda, but lucked into the "good cop" role- and he played it well.

He spoke these immortal words :

Quote:
Poor Darrell Hammond. What's he going to do when I leave office?
William J. Clinton
William J. Clinton Quotes - Page 2 - BrainyQuote

Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,157,066 times
Granted, I grew up in California, not Dixieland, but I can't believe that some on here are anti-Lincoln. Lincoln is arguably the best president of them all. He's both the American Moses (who lead us to the promised land of Union now and forever) and Jesus (who died for our collective sins of bigotry and intolerance). God bless him. Peace be upon him. I'm overdoing it (just by a smidge), but I honestly can't think of praise high enough to suit him. You rebs need to bury the hatchet and recognize Lincoln for the great man that he was.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 PM

6,722 posts, read 4,433,604 times
Should have made it a poll

Lincoln
FDR
Jefferson
Washington
Teddy
Jackson
Clinton
JFK
Reagun

and the bottom of my list:

Nixon
Bush I
Harding
Carter
Grant
Bush II

Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 PM

443 posts, read 774,210 times
I would say

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Andrew Jackson

Honorable mention would go to (no order) Teddy Roosevelt, and James Madison, Abraham Lincoln, and James K. Polk

Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,157,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
I would say

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Andrew Jackson

Honorable mention would go to (no order) Teddy Roosevelt, and James Madison, Abraham Lincoln, and James K. Polk
I like that you picked Jackson. I think Jackson doesn't get his due often enough. He was the one that made America a nation for all to prosper (well, all white men, but he was moving things along in the right direction).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies