U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 AM

3,384 posts, read 4,084,859 times

Advertisements

Reagan, Washington, Lincoln

I saw that someone had Lyndon Johnson in there and that is inexcusable. He was a terrible President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 AM

8,388 posts, read 8,326,642 times
Default In your opinion, who are the three greatest American Presidents?

Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson

Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,254 posts, read 13,995,591 times
Truman, Ike, Reagan

Old 02-21-2012, 10:17 AM

9,995 posts, read 11,650,262 times
Obama, Obama, Obama

(just stirring the pot )

Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,600,892 times
Anyone who says Reagan never studied Reagan. Anyone who said Clinton is just giving him credit for the economy that would probably have been good under any president.

It's hard to say who the absolute best of the best were. But I would consider to be the very best to be:

1. Abraham Lincoln. While I know the Founding Fathers get a lot of reverence - much of it deserved - the fact is that they passed the buck on slavery to every president thereafter. Truthfully, they might not have had a choice: no agreement on slavery would have meant no constitutional ratification and probably two very different American nation-states. But nevertheless, every American president had to deal with the legacy of slavery, and it all came to a head in the 1860 election. Lincoln was the one president who had the balls to confront the issue and the people supporting the continuation of a policy of standoff. He surely went into the conflict knowing the costs, and he went into it with eyes wide open. But more than that, we can only wonder what kind of country we would have had if we had adopted his policies of reintegration of confederates. Instead, radical republicans who wanted to punish the south cause southerners to hold out more and rebel, thereby continuing the crisis for another several decades. Lincoln was, in my opinion, the best leader this nation has ever had, and maybe the best one we ever will have. America is united as a single country largely because of his presidency.

2. Franklin D. Roosevelt. For those who actually wish to look at facts and study economic history, FDR's accomplishments stand out by themselves. His policies reversed a depression and confronted and defeated the axis menace. It sickens me that politics is deliberately trying to erase his accomplishments from the history books, all because they simply don't want the truth to conflict with their limited and almost delusional understanding of economics and economic history. If these conservatard "school board" officials in Texas and elsewhere had tried to do this crap in the 1940s, they would have been accused of treason - not by their government but by their contemporaries.

3. Theodore Roosevelt. A progressive, an idealist. Someone who respected and supported American enterprise, but also understood that it needed to be controlled and its abuses needed to be confronted. Roosevelt was also keenly aware of international commerce and saw to America's growing importance on the world stage. Some aspects of his presidency were controversial to say the least, but I think that from an American perspective, he had the interests of the common American in mind.

Other favorites/honorable mentions:

- Harry S. Truman and Dwight Eisenhower.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Obama, Obama, Obama

(just stirring the pot )
If Obama gets tossed out of office at the end of one term, I think he will be an average president. I think history will be relatively kind to him after he leaves office. I think if he gets re-elected, he could go other way. He still has the potential to be known as one of the better presidents, I think.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Reagan, Washington, Lincoln

I saw that someone had Lyndon Johnson in there and that is inexcusable. He was a terrible President.
His decision to escalate in Vietnam was terrible; his presidency overall was okay. But he will be remembered most for that horrible foreign policy decision. In all fairness to Johnson, though, we had been creeping into Vietnam for years. JFK, Ike, and even Truman had set their eyes upon the Vietnam conflict years before LBJ and all kept moving closer and closer to it.

The problem for a democratic president like LBJ was domestic politics. He couldn't let the democrats be seen as being weak with commies. That pressure goaded him into the conflict more and more. LBJ's massive ego did the rest.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 AM

Out of the founding father presidents, I'd say Washington was probably the best president. Also one of the greatest leaders in the history of the nation.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM

12,327 posts, read 7,471,257 times
First, Lincoln, for preserving the Union at the cost of his life.

Second, Washington, for laying the foundation for a true democracy rather than setting himself up as a strongman

Third (tie), FDR and Reagan; my reasoning here is that the safeguards introduced during the New Deal were necessary to the development of a tested democracy, but limits eventually had to be set. In addition, both men put an end to totalitarian ideologies which were a threat to that democracy.

Honorable Mentions; Jefferson, Madison, J Q Adams, Cleveland, Taft, Truman, Eisenhower

Negatives; Jackson, Buchanan, Grant, Wilson, Harding, L B Johnson

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-21-2012 at 11:34 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 AM

4,120 posts, read 3,827,026 times
I can't conceive how anyone would put Reagan on their top 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies