Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Meh. We've had roughly double the unemployment of white people for decades now, and one study after the next has shown that employers discriminate against black job seekers en masse. And we also know that gas prices are far more due to speculation from haedge funds than any pipeline - consumption is down, yet prices are up, just like under Bush in 2008. Why would anyone expect Obama to suddenly fix that, particularly given democratic reluctance, and republican hostility, to correcting the problem?

It has nothing to do with "low expectations", and everything to do with realism. Reactionaries that listen to Beck and Limbaugh are already screaming about how the health care bill or the stimulus plan are "reparations" and "Kenyan anti-colonialism", if they saw Obama actually try to address their racial hangups head-on, most of white America would explode. And that includes congress. So there's not much he can do, outside of changing the perception of black people as the job-stealing, AA hire who's lazy and won't get a job because of welfare (never mind that US racism is incoherent). If you didn't know that before he was elected, then you weren't paying attention to how the US has ever operated.
I am one of the reactionaries you speak of but somehow I haven't used either of your arguments against The One. I just don't like his policies and it is as simple as that. I loved seeing you insert race into your argument, also. I don't care what color his skin is but the fact that he sat in a Black Liberation Theology church for 20 years and didn't know what was going on does bother me a little. Is there a way that you can insert your two accusations against reactionaries into that? If so, have at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
I'm white and hold him accountable.
Does that mean you will be voting against him?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Who would you lefties like to see running against Obama? You all want to go along with the establishment of both parties and get Obama back but why is that? I still think that race is involved.
Hey, I liked Willie Mays better than Mickey Mantle, had NOTHING to do with race. The TEAM you play on can easily trump race. What makes you think politics is any different? And Willie was a better ballplayer besides

Old 02-21-2012, 02:04 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
All American voters will hold him accountable on Tuesday, November 6, 2012.

And it's a pretty good bet at this point that their accounting will elect him to a second term.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:17 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
I'm black and not unemployed, I'm married, not an unwed mother, I haven't gotten any of the Obama stuff either that he is supposed to be handing out to black people.

Also, I am not overly race focused like the OP whe thinks that blacks in particular should hold Obama accountable. We are a small minority in this country and all the things you state about why we should hold him accountable have nothing to do with him - gas prices (not controlled by the president), unemployment (not controlled by the president and is ALWAYS higher amongst black people and has been since this number was created), even abortion was mentioned (not forced by the president and honestly since most of you feel that the black unwed mother is ruining the black community, I would think you would be in support of her decision to get an abortion).

You are just ranting to rant about nothing IMO.

Wanted to also note the person with "black friends" who are ashamed of being black, something is wrong with your friends and you should call them out on it. Not even the most ghetto crazy BoneQuisha named, multi-colored weave and long fake fingernail wearing, Ebonic talking, ignorant black woman will ever make me ashamed of being black. Why should I be ashamed of anything about myself. I don't give a crap what any person thinks, white or otherwise. People will judge what they want to judge and will always find something to judge you about. You should tell your friends they are sick and need some professional help. Them and the guy who said black people are dumb, he/she was the most pitiable post in the lot.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
I am a black Independent, and I voted for Obama in 2008. I even cried when he won the election. But, I will not vote for him in November, because I disagree with many of his policies. Nor will I vote for the Republican nominee. Talk about slim pickins. For the first time in my adult life, I will not participate in a presidential election. Why should I waste my gas driving to the school, or my time, standing in line, when it won't make a bit of difference? Our president, irrespective of party affiliation, is owned by the corporate elite and special interest groups, and will do their bidding, period. Yes, I know, I am indeed cynical. But, I'm being honest. So, include me among the 5% of black folks who will not be voting for Obama.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:23 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
When will the sour grape eaters hold oil speculators responsible for gas prices?
Wasn't that what the democratic party controlled congress said they were going to do back in 2007? I thought one plan was to force the speculators to hold a larger state of interest in the shares they buy. I'm not up to speed on this crap, but i think right now they only risk a 10% stake or liability in the speculation of a commodity, which allows them to play games with the futures market.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:26 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I am a black Independent, and I voted for Obama in 2008. I even cried when he won the election. But, I will not vote for him in November, because I disagree with many of his policies. Nor will I vote for the Republican nominee. Talk about slim pickins. For the first time in my adult life, I will not participate in a presidential election. Why should I waste my gas driving to the school, or my time, standing in line, when it won't make a bit of difference? Our president, irrespective of party affiliation, is owned by the corporate elite and special interest groups, and will do their bidding, period. Yes, I know, I am indeed cynical. But, I'm being honest. So, include me among the 5% of black folks who will not be voting for Obama.
He said all the right things on the campaign trail, so I don't blame some folks who don't normally pay much attention to politics for getting fooled. I hope this opened their eyes to the snake oil some smooth talking politicians sell.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:23 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'm black and not unemployed, I'm married, not an unwed mother, I haven't gotten any of the Obama stuff either that he is supposed to be handing out to black people.

Also, I am not overly race focused like the OP whe thinks that blacks in particular should hold Obama accountable. We are a small minority in this country and all the things you state about why we should hold him accountable have nothing to do with him - gas prices (not controlled by the president), unemployment (not controlled by the president and is ALWAYS higher amongst black people and has been since this number was created), even abortion was mentioned (not forced by the president and honestly since most of you feel that the black unwed mother is ruining the black community, I would think you would be in support of her decision to get an abortion).
I wish I was a fly on your wall during Bush's 8 years! I'm sure you calmly passed off high gas, black unemployment, as beyond ol Georgie's control, Right?? You sure didn't talk about him like a dog did you? How stupid he was and how he had no business being Prez?

Heck, Obama is is more of a killing machine than Bush ever was with those drones. Even killed a U.S. citizen with no trial, in Yemen (which I was ok with)! Bush was war criminal! Remember? We Still got GITMO open with no plans to close it. Rendition (torture) is still in effect! We just let others do it for us. Still got that ol' Patriot act thing going! He took Bush's trillion dollars debt all the way up to 17 and beyond!! And our nation lost it's AAA credit rating on his watch!! He's like Bush Junior in many respects....on steroids!

But if you ask most black folk if Barack is doing a good job?? "He's outstanding!!" And he's doing 85 percent of what Bush was doing!!

So.....if you were pissed at Bush (and you probably were) , why are you so willing to NOT hold Obama accountable so nearly the same record??? So willing to say, "oh well....he can't control anything".

The President CAN create an environment that is business friendly so that companies want to hire and grow. He could have okayed oil drilling!! He would not do that! Then a friend to the north wants to share their oil with us and thus create 20,000 new jobs!!! WE DO HAVE AN UNEMPLOYMENT PROBLEM ....RIGHT?? RIGHT?? I can hear black folks screamin' if Bush shot down chances for them to work, like that.

"Oh no kind sir, I know that I am dehydrated. But I wouldn't think taking water from you"

"sigh"

That's exactly how what Barack did sounds! And yet......95 percent approval from blacks.

With all that I just laid out.....BASED ON WHAT??? Darn near a mirror image of Bush and worse. But a 95 percent supporting block from blacks?? Are you kidding me? LOL!!!!

Trade Obama for a white republican and you know it would be ON!! Marching at the White House and everything.

Oh....by the way Barack's having a "Blues Party" tonight! He can still party like no other!
Quote:
The country's fine!!

Last edited by citizenkane2; 02-21-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I wish I was a fly on your wall during Bush's 8 years! I'm sure you calmly passed off high gas, black unemployment, as beyond ol Georgie's control, Right?? You sure didn't talk about him like a dog did you? How stupid he was and how he had no business being Prez?

Heck, Obama is is more of a killing machine than Bush ever was with those drones. Even killed a U.S. citizen with no trial, in Yemen (which I was ok with)! Bush was war criminal! Remember? We Still got GITMO open with no plans to close it. Rendition (torture) is still in effect! We just let others do it for us. Still got that ol' Patriot act thing going! He took Bush's trillion dollars debt all the way up to 17 and beyond!! And our nation lost it's AAA credit rating on his watch!! He's like Bush Junior in many respects....on steroids!

But if you ask most black folk if Barack is doing a good job?? "He's outstanding!!" And he's doing 85 percent of what Bush was doing!!

So.....if you were pissed at Bush (and you probably were) , why are you so willing to NOT hold Obama accountable so nearly the same record??? So willing to say, "oh well....he can't control anything".

The President CAN create an environment that is business friendly so that companies want to hire and grow. He could have okayed oil drilling!! He would not do that! Then a friend to the north wants to share their oil with us and thus create 20,000 new jobs!!! WE DO HAVE AN UNEMPLOYMENT PROBLEM ....RIGHT?? RIGHT?? I can hear black folks screamin' if Bush shot down chances for them to work, like that.

"Oh no kind sir, I know that I am dehydrated. But I wouldn't think taking water from you"

"sigh"

That's exactly how what Barack did sounds! And yet......95 percent approval from blacks.

With all that I just laid out.....BASED ON WHAT??? Darn near a mirror image of Bush and worse. But a 95 percent supporting block from blacks?? Are you kidding me? LOL!!!!

Trade Obama for a white republican and you know it would be ON!! Marching at the White House and everything.

Oh....by the way Barack's having a "Blues Party" tonight! He can still party like no other!

The country's fine!!

If you were a fly on my wall during the Bush administration you would have heard that I did not think ill of Bush.

I am an independent and honestly I felt Bush was a decent, mediocre president, same as Obama. If it hadn't have been for the Iraq war and the Patriot Act I would have thought him better than Obama. Even though he was more conservative than I am, he was not as crazy as the new crop of Tea Partiers in my eyes who do not understand that compromise is necessary for government to work.

I remember gas prices were higher under Bush than they are now. Where I live they were nearly $5 a gallon in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina, but I did not blame him for that, just as I don't blame Obama for the $3 something gas that I am paying now.

Also black unemployment, especially black male unemployment, has normally always been twice that of white unemployment in this country. I really don't see how the president is involved in that as well, he cannot make people hire other people. Of course he can be more open to the needs of business economically on the federal level, but honestly I don't see evidence of or buy into the stance of staunch conservatives who believe that he is bad for businesses. I'm sure now that I mention it, someone will come on and go list a barrage of things they feel are bad for business that he supports, but I don't agree with them.

Also, though I am not personally for rendition aka to you as torture, I can understand why it is employed and I do feel that both Bush and Obama are doing what they feel are necessary to keep our country safe in this regard (like I said, I am an independent, not a liberal dem). I have no problem with having GITMO still open. I would rather suspected terrorist not be in our country at all. I still do not agree with the Patriot Act though and it is one of the things I am disappointed in Obama about. I also do not like the mandate for healthcare, I feel that if we are going to have a mandate, we might as well have universal healthcare (like I said I am independent, also want to note due to my support of universal healthcare I consider myself a left leaning independent). The bombing in Libya were not all that troubling to and honestly I don't consider it a "war" like what is going on in Afghanistan and what went on in Iraq. I do see it as meddling and I would rather have our president and government spend money here at home versus overseas so I am not in full support of the president doing these things in Africa, but all of these items I disagree with him on, and there are more, have nothing to do with me being a black person or that I need to hold him accountable for something specifically to do with black people.

I have a better job now than I did before the president took office, my family has more income and we get along just fine. I live very close to my work and my kid's schools so I only spend MAYBE $20 a week on gas. Because I know that the price of most everything never goes down, I decided to save money by moving closer to the places I frequently travel to, so the high gas prices do not bother me. If they go up to where I don't want to buy gas anymore, I will get my butt on a bike and bike to work/school. I could use the exercise.

But on a final note. I didn't mind Bush that much at all. I thought he was personable and hilarious actually. I would have loved to meet him. And believe me, many people I know who are staunch democrats used to get angry with me for defending him and making them stop all their hysterical rhetoric (like that in the OP) because of their political dislike of him so that is what you as a fly on my wall would have heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies