U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:34 AM

6,468 posts, read 11,527,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
How can this happen with the BILLIONS of dollars spent and thousands of government agencies responsible for preventing this from happening?
Because of lobbyists who gutted rules and regulations making them inefficient and useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 AM

27,275 posts, read 17,541,892 times
What does it take to catch a python? Can something like a steel wire and big-azz treble hook baited with say a chicken carcass both attract and hold one? Sort of like a trot-line used for turtles, but on a bigger scale. Or will they only go after live prey? Also, is the meat edible (tastes like chicken???) and can you make a pair of boots (ok, several pairs) with the hide?

Sounds like the basis of a new reality show...

Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,274,872 times
I wonder if I could train one of these Pythons as a guard snake. Imagine the shock a burglar would undergo as he was enveloped by a 20 ft long 150 pound constrictor. It wouldn't even have to kill the intruder. Just restrain him so I could handle the situation. Like sit there and watch the perp turn purple.

Think of the potential of a guard snake market. Wouldn't everyone want a quiet, clean and efficient guard snake? Think of the commercials on late night television. This is a great way of solving the python problem. Just capture them for the guard snake market.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:50 AM

27,275 posts, read 17,541,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder if I could train one of these Pythons as a guard snake. Imagine the shock a burglar would undergo as he was enveloped by a 20 ft long 150 pound constrictor. It wouldn't even have to kill the intruder. Just restrain him so I could handle the situation. Like sit there and watch the perp turn purple.

Think of the potential of a guard snake market. Wouldn't everyone want a quiet, clean and efficient guard snake? Think of the commercials on late night television. This is a great way of solving the python problem. Just capture them for the guard snake market.
Have you seen the commercial with the "guard panther"? A guard python could make for a restless night's sleep!

Now...take the skin of one and and make a "remote control" guard python, now that could be flippin' entertaining!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:37 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,133,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
Are any forum readers here familiar with the issue of invasive Pythons in the Everglades? Apparently it has been going on for decades. For anyone not familiar, here is a recent news story: 'Dumped' Pythons Put Squeeze on Everglades Wildlife | Invasive Species, Burmese Pythons & Everglades National Park | LiveScience

I feel so ashamed for not having been aware of the problem earlier, although since I learned of the situation (I live in PA and actually rarely think about the Everglades) a few weeks ago have written to several government contacts responsible for such oversight asking why they were not taking action years ago, and what they are doing now. This is shameful, and a national disgrace.

Anyone have a close connection to the Everglades, or involved with working on this problem to give any insight into what the future prospects look like? Many animals have already been killed by a non-native, and that is tragic, but is there hope that pythons can be reduced significantly enough to allow native populations to bounce back, or be repopulated?
We've had several threads on this. There is a "search" function.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM

21,289 posts, read 21,803,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
Are any forum readers here familiar with the issue of invasive Pythons in the Everglades? Apparently it has been going on for decades. For anyone not familiar, here is a recent news story: 'Dumped' Pythons Put Squeeze on Everglades Wildlife | Invasive Species, Burmese Pythons & Everglades National Park | LiveScience

I feel so ashamed for not having been aware of the problem earlier, although since I learned of the situation (I live in PA and actually rarely think about the Everglades) a few weeks ago have written to several government contacts responsible for such oversight asking why they were not taking action years ago, and what they are doing now. This is shameful, and a national disgrace.

Anyone have a close connection to the Everglades, or involved with working on this problem to give any insight into what the future prospects look like? Many animals have already been killed by a non-native, and that is tragic, but is there hope that pythons can be reduced significantly enough to allow native populations to bounce back, or be repopulated?
A few hundred giant snakes' destructive traits, pale in comparrison to what we've already accomplished down there.

We've been busy draining, re-directing, burning, poisoning and filling in the everglades from the day we showed up. We've wiped out 90% of the wading birds and pretty much wiped out the manatee, panther and scores of other native species. Most of this distruction is being done to support the sugar cane industry which relies on hundreds of millions of dollars from government farm subsidies to even survive in the first place.

What happened to the Everglades? | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Old 02-22-2012, 01:21 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,783,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Cats are predators, right? So I guess cats should only be in nature too, and their owners are also weird to you.
Ummm, I'd have to say that no one owns a cat.
Cats have staff.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:05 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,232,793 times
Quote:
P.S. What part of HARMLESS are you not understanding? It's not just a matter of statistics either, as anyone with an ounce of knowledge knows that even a fluffy Toy Poodle is more capable of hurting you than a small python. You could put one in every single American (or European) home, and there would still be more dog attacks - probably more cat attacks too, LOL.

I've been bitten by dogs and cats. The last cat
bite required ten days on strong antibiotics.
I've never been bitten by a snake (mine, a friend's or wild).

Old 02-22-2012, 02:32 PM

51,736 posts, read 41,660,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Heh, it would take about 4-5 men to peel that snake off the guy.

I belong to a herpetology forum where the posters are *very* knowledgeable. (Many have been on Natl. geographic and so forth.) Somebody came in asking if it was safe to leave their newly attained 16ft. burmese python alone with their rottwieler because they didn't want the snake to get hurt by the dog. Clearly the person was in wayyyyy over their head in terms of understanding what a snake that size is capable of.

Ever seen pictures of *fluffy*. 25ft nearly 400lb reticulated or burm python (I forget which) looked like a telephone pole.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:29 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,367,336 times
Quote:
Many people are afraid of dogs & cats, and they're MUCH more likely to go roaming into/around your home... any responsible snake owner keeps them caged, and would never let one randomly roam free. Can you say the same about your neighbor's birds & mammals, and why is your irrational phobia their problem? I'm terrified of spiders, but it's not my business if you want a pet tarantula! I'll trust that you know how to keep it, and wouldn't just let it loose to enter my home. If it did get into my place, you'd know from the banshee scream. LOL

Btw, there are infinitely more dog attacks than pet snake attacks annually - and the species I keep have never EVER been responsible for a human death, or even a serious injury. So I don't just think my snakes are harmless, they actually and literally are. We're talking the marijuana of snakes, and nobody has yet been able to prove that pot kills.

Yes I understand and agree to some of what you say. I still think, well, let me put it this way, dog people should rent in dog owner apt. buildings and cat people should rent in cat owner bldgs and snake people should rent in snake owner bldgs. it's all the same or none. That's just how I see it as a best way for all to get along. I always ask if anyone has pets and what kind do they have so I can either move or make them move but I own my bldg.

The snakes I fear most, although I'm not too fond of any, are the large snakes and poisonous snakes. What gets me is how everyone says they are responsible pet owners and many just aren't. Your example of dog bites and deaths by dogs is a good one except dogs can be domesticated and trained but snakes cannot be trained, not that I have ever heard, and I think, although I could be wrong, I'm still learning here so be patient with me, but I think it's just a matter of time as more people own dangerous snakes and live like sardines in apt. bldgs, we will see more deaths and accidents from having snakes as pets.

So many people have pets and then find they can't afford to feed them or get lazy when it comes to taking care of them. When it comes to snakes one just can't afford to get lazy or be in a budget crisis. I am upset that people just abandon their pets regardless of it's an animal or reptile I am not close to or one of my favorites. It's not fair to the pet that was raised being fed by the owner. Also, now I'm not saying this applies to you or anyone here but lets face it there are a lot of people who get snakes just to say hey look at me I'm a big man with a big you know what and feed the snake kittens and puppies just to say look how baddass they think they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies