Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:48 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,431,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I think one of the main issues is that many native species are being decimated.
There goes the ecosystem.
ok...then let's get rid of all humans....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:51 AM

1,486 posts, read 2,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ok...then let's get rid of all humans....
We're working on that but they breed too fast so progress is rather slow.

Hey what about other dangerous invasive beasts in Florida?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,473,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I still don't see an issue here. If pythons are the equivalent of rats then you should not need a permit to kill one found in the wild.
Ive seen that show about fla fish and game and they catch them alive. Dont know why. Dosnt realy make sense.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
Do coyotes swim? Not for long if there are pythons in the water.

Give the problem long enough and something besides humans will find pythons tasty. In the meantime anything edible by a python is in real trouble. FWIW ecosystems are rarely stable and are always changing. sometimes human intervention, like cutting the NE forest, can radically change an ecosystem but, if left alone or with thoughtful intervention, can recover to a new equilibrium.

Now, what eats 24 ft aggressive constrictor snakes that can swallow a small pig? Big pigs? Black Bears? Asian Tigers? Bigger snakes?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,915,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I still don't see an issue here. If pythons are the equivalent of rats then you should not need a permit to kill one found in the wild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
It is way too late to play politics or point fingers. The pythons are a wildlife management problem, not a political one. These snakes have almost rendered raccoons to become extinct in the Glades and have taken a huge toll on possums, foxes, and bobcats, as well as rodents, deer, and even small gators. About the only thing big and tough enough to be safe from a big one is a Florida panther or adult gator. Killing as many as possible on the spot and destroying eggs whenever a nest is found is the only practical solution, and even then will never be able to completely eradicate them. Paying a bounty would be a help. More than a few out of work Floridians might then consider being part or full time snake hunters.
All of the above.
As I said, we are seeing them here in Central Florida, really not happy about it.
My farm is a python-free zone.
So far.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:07 AM

78,014 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Do coyotes swim? Not for long if there are pythons in the water.

Give the problem long enough and something besides humans will find pythons tasty. In the meantime anything edible by a python is in real trouble. FWIW ecosystems are rarely stable and are always changing. sometimes human intervention, like cutting the NE forest, can radically change an ecosystem but, if left alone or with thoughtful intervention, can recover to a new equilibrium.

Now, what eats 24 ft aggressive constrictor snakes that can swallow a small pig? Big pigs? Black Bears? Asian Tigers? Bigger snakes?
There is nothing in Florida that is going to match up against a burmese or reticulated python of that size. Even an 18 footer would be too much for all but a very large gator.

I'm a big big snake fan and have been following this problem for a long time. Keep in mind that there have been OTHER documented releases but fortunately they haven't established like pythons have. (venemous exotic snakes like cobras and worse)

Black Bears would possibly die to a 24ft python unless exceptionally large.

P.S. King Cobras would definitely eat the smaller pythons....their latin name Ophiophagus Hannah means "eater of snakes". Let's start releasing them.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There is nothing in Florida that is going to match up against a burmese or reticulated python of that size. Even an 18 footer would be too much for all but a very large gator.

I'm a big big snake fan and have been following this problem for a long time. Keep in mind that there have been OTHER documented releases but fortunately they haven't established like pythons have. (venemous exotic snakes like cobras and worse)

Black Bears would possibly die to a 24ft python unless exceptionally large.

P.S. King Cobras would definitely eat the smaller pythons....their latin name Ophiophagus Hannah means "eater of snakes". Let's start releasing them.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:21 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and that would have NOTHING to do with the ones in the everglades...the ban would be for pets..and pet stores
Oh! I see...these invasive snakes are hopping on planes and ships on their own volition to enter the USA to vacation in Florida.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 02-21-2012 at 11:30 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Oh! I see...these invasive snakes are hopping on planes and ships on their volition to enter the USA to vacation in Florida.
Enough is enough! I have HAD IT with these mother****in' snakes on this mother****in' plane! Everybody strap in! I'm about to open some ****in' windows.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:37 AM

10,582 posts, read 9,765,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Why is this in Politics forum?
Because the usual suspects want government to get involved in this, as they do with everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies