Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:12 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I didn't say I had a problem with it, I only said it makes me sad... I'm sad thinking about eating deer too, which is probably why I've never personally tried one. I'm just a bleeding heart when it comes to certain (most) animals, but that doesn't mean I'd stop you from eating them.
Do you eat meat at all?

Believe me, if you knew how cows, chicken, and pigs are treated in the farming process most of the time, you'd understand that those free animals are having a much better life, and a much nicer death.

We are animals, we eat other animals, thats just the way of the world.

I don't feel bad for these snakes, they are going to kill out hundreds of other species, not lower their population, not co-exist, but kill them off, make them go extinct. If humans are the only animal that is smart enough or with the ability to control the population, release the hounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,889 times
Quote:
Many popular pets here are "invasive species," and that doesn't mean we need to kill them all - for goodness sakes, do you people have NO respect for the life of such a magnificent animal? Try killing my snakes, and you'll have to pry them from my cold dead hands... if I don't stop you first.

The difference here is your snake is your pet. So long as you are not irresponsible with your pet and IMHO don't live near neighbors your pet could accidently get near then your pet snake should be safe. There is no reason to kill your snake. But reptiles and animals in the wild are not always protected and can easily become over populated and when that happens, when they are where they aren't normally, they can and will destroy the local wildlife. We have to keep the balance in order. This excessive breeding just to make a buck selling them is not right. I'm sure you are a responsible owner but we have to consider the dangers of people who aren't and the danger of not keeping their reproducing under control. Especially when they are breeding where they don't and wouldn't naturally belong.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:12 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
How can this happen with the BILLIONS of dollars spent and thousands of government agencies responsible for preventing this from happening?

Old 02-22-2012, 05:15 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Hey, I love snakes, but deer are "beautifully majestic (and usually docile)
creatures" and tasty too. If a population of tasty animals is out of control,
I don't see why you have a problem eating them and using the hides.

To properly kill for survival the death should be quick and painless. The animal should not be tortured before the death otherwise it's not a proper kill. It's one thing when the population is out of control due to natural mating but when it's because of human stupidity that is inexcusable.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Those creatures are scary. They even attack crocodiles

I opened a similar thread in the Florida forum some time ago as I find it interesting how those primitive beasts are spreading instead of dying out, which one might expect in our modern world.
Reptile aliens from out of state

At the end of the day it is humans' psychological issues that has brought about that python problem. Humans that keep dangerous beasts as pets and then set them free once they notice what monsters they have. People should wake up and stick with real pets or, even better, with humans.

There is also a thread on that topic:
Why keep exotic pets?

Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Do you eat meat at all?
Not too often - only chicken and turkey when I need the protein, since I don't like tofu. And one can only eat so many beans and peanuts!

Quote:
Believe me, if you knew how cows, chicken, and pigs are treated in the farming process most of the time, you'd understand that those free animals are having a much better life, and a much nicer death.
Which is one reason I'm primarily vegetarian, the other being health-related... and I never argued for or against farming, I just said there's no reason to go commando on these snakes. How many people want to eat snake, anyway? Kill off some of them if that's the best solution, but if a portion can be saved/rehomed I'm all for that too.

Quote:
We are animals, we eat other animals, thats just the way of the world.
No arguments, as in case you forgot I'm a snake owner - who feeds off approximately 20-30 live rodents weekly, and breeds my own rats for the sole purpose of feeding snakes. Again, I was only expressing my sadness about these animals being needlessly killed, and never meant to imply I'm against hunting or eating meat. Heck, I used to LOVE me a good steak or hamburger! Unfortunately my digestive system disagreed, which was the primary reason I cut out everything but poultry (about 6 years ago).

Quote:
I don't feel bad for these snakes, they are going to kill out hundreds of other species, not lower their population, not co-exist, but kill them off, make them go extinct. If humans are the only animal that is smart enough or with the ability to control the population, release the hounds.
But then what? The problem isn't just their current population, and we need to focus on HOW this happened... otherwise they'll just keep replenishing as more irresponsible owners release their "pets," which is why I said this isn't the only solution. Education and possibly some stricter regulations on private owners, like enforcing permits for anything over 10ft, is really where we need to focus for the future. JMO.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Those creatures are scary. They even attack crocodiles
If kept and fed properly, they actually make wonderful pets... Burmese Pythons, at least, as the Rock Python can have a nastier temperament.

Also keep in mind there are many species of pythons, most of whom grow nowhere near as large as these giants. I personally keep only Ball Pythons, Spotted Pythons, Stimsons Pythons, and one Jungle Carpet - the latter will be the largest (when full-grown) at around 6-7ft, whereas the rest are all between 4-5ft. If you think snakes that small are scary, or capable of eating crocodiles, I'd say you don't know a whole lot about these animals.

Quote:
At the end of the day it is humans' psychological issues that has brought about that python problem. Humans that keep dangerous beasts as pets and then set them free once they notice what monsters they have. People should wake up and stick with real pets or, even better, with humans.

There is also a thread on that topic:
Why keep exotic pets?
I contributed to that thread, so I won't rehash everything said there... but the majority of pet snakes are NOT dangerous, and every bit as legitimate a pet as your standard hamsters, guinea pigs, cats, fish, even dogs. They each serve a purpose to the owner, and it's pretty lame to judge somebody for their choice in pet. Do you have any experience with snakes, or are you just basing these opinions on the news & movies? Do you know the difference between a potentially lethal species, and one that poses absolutely no threat to humans or large animals? If not, please do some research before deeming every snake owner as psychologically unstable.

P.S. I do have "real pets" (whatever the heck that means) and humans in my life too - including a wonderful 40lb dog, 3 cats, and plenty of family/friends. My heart and home are big enough for more than one species, and keeping snakes is more a hobby than anything.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-22-2012 at 06:18 AM..

Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
The difference here is your snake is your pet. So long as you are not irresponsible with your pet and IMHO don't live near neighbors your pet could accidently get near then your pet snake should be safe. There is no reason to kill your snake. But reptiles and animals in the wild are not always protected and can easily become over populated and when that happens, when they are where they aren't normally, they can and will destroy the local wildlife. We have to keep the balance in order. This excessive breeding just to make a buck selling them is not right. I'm sure you are a responsible owner but we have to consider the dangers of people who aren't and the danger of not keeping their reproducing under control. Especially when they are breeding where they don't and wouldn't naturally belong.
I agree with most of the above, with the exception of that bolded sentence. I live in an apartment, so I couldn't get much closer to my neighbors! But not only are the snakes securely housed (in professional rack systems), they are also completely harmless to humans... so if one did "accidentally" get into my neighbor's home, the worst they'd suffer is a slight panic attack if they're phobic. Two of my three immediate neighbors do know I'm a snake keeper, so they'd quickly figure out where it came from anyway.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
If kept and fed properly, they actually make wonderful pets... Burmese Pythons, at least, as the Rock Python can have a nastier temperament.

Also keep in mind there are many species of pythons, most of whom grow nowhere near as large as these giants. I personally keep only Ball Pythons, Spotted Pythons, Stimsons Pythons, and one Jungle Carpet - the latter will be the largest (when full-grown) at around 6-7ft, whereas the rest are all between 4-5ft. If you think snakes that small are scary, or capable of eating crocodiles, I'd say you don't know a whole lot about these animals.

I contributed to that thread, so I won't rehash everything said there... but the majority of pet snakes are NOT dangerous, and every bit as legitimate a pet as your standard hamsters, guinea pigs, cats, fish, even dogs. They each serve a purpose to the owner, and it's pretty lame to judge somebody for their choice in pet. Do you have any experience with snakes, or are you just basing these opinions on the news & movies? Do you know the difference between a potentially lethal species, and one that poses absolutely no threat to humans or large animals? If not, please do some research before deeming every snake owner as psychologically unstable.

P.S. I do have "real pets" (whatever the heck that means) and humans in my life too - including a wonderful 40lb dog, 3 cats, and plenty of family/friends. My heart and home are big enough for more than one species, and keeping snakes is more a hobby than anything.
Well, the big problem are not small species, but the giant ones. There is also the possibility of different pythons mixing. Such hybrids would likely be bigger than the original.
In legal terms they might be as legitimate as guinea pigs or dogs, but I do think it is a symptom of societal/psychological problems.
No, I do not know individual snake species (though I could tell some pythons based on the form of their heads). And there is no need for me to tell them apart as I think all and any snakes should be in nature ONLY.
I personally would not keep any predator species as a pet.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
This is not 10-20 feet long and hungry.
That's where the problems come from.
That was kind of my point, because many people (as shown in this thread) lump all pythons/snakes and their owners together... so those of us with small non-venomous snakes are being punished, facing both unfair assumptions and stricter regulations on ALL species. You've heard the Snakes on a Plane jokes, now it's all about "those killer pythons in Florida" or "that one kid who was killed by their underfed un-caged Burmese." It just gets a little tiring, and this fear-mongering is restricting the freedoms of us responsible keepers. I guess you could compare it to the Pit Bull situation, which is another divisive issue with no perfect solution.

FYI: Iris is still a baby, and should be around 5ft when full grown. She's a sweetie, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies