U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2012, 01:09 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,124,338 times
Reputation: 35897

Advertisements

I propose the following solution to our tax woes and arguments about inequality:

EVERY ONE should pay a 5% flat income tax with ZERO exemptions or tax shelters. This will insure fairness for all and that the rich will pay more in taxes.

As someone who is far from being rich, I would feel MUCH better about paying my share of taxes if we all were held to the same rules.

The only exceptions are those earning income at or below poverty level - they should be exempt from income taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Status: "that should be 'righties'" (set 8 days ago)
 
1,787 posts, read 1,078,180 times
Reputation: 1502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I propose the following solution to our tax woes and arguments about inequality:

EVERY ONE should pay a 5% flat income tax with ZERO exemptions or tax shelters. This will insure fairness for all and that the rich will pay more in taxes.

As someone who is far from being rich, I would feel MUCH better about paying my share of taxes if we all were held to the same rules.

The only exceptions are those earning income at or below poverty level - they should be exempt from income taxes.
the last line of your post contradicts the first line...???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 01:45 PM
 
Location: NC
586 posts, read 514,756 times
Reputation: 275
I dont know what % but EVERYONE should pay the same % on ALL income.

No deductions, no credits, no loopholes.
Every single person paying the same exact % on any and all income.

Discrimination isnt accepted in most places why should it be accepted when it comes to how much of your income the government confiscates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,124,338 times
Reputation: 35897
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
the last line of your post contradicts the first line...???
I don't believe in forcing those at poverty level to pay taxes. That is the ONLY exemption I propose. Everyone else, including myself, should pay 5% - Not more or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 02:11 PM
 
1,661 posts, read 1,189,230 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I propose the following solution to our tax woes and arguments about inequality:

EVERY ONE should pay a 5% flat income tax with ZERO exemptions or tax shelters. This will insure fairness for all and that the rich will pay more in taxes.

As someone who is far from being rich, I would feel MUCH better about paying my share of taxes if we all were held to the same rules.

The only exceptions are those earning income at or below poverty level - they should be exempt from income taxes.
A flat tax isn't a fair tax. It's a colossal windfall for the wealthy and makes poor people pay more.

Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 02:23 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,124,338 times
Reputation: 35897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
A flat tax isn't a fair tax. It's a colossal windfall for the wealthy and makes poor people pay more.

Really?
How is it a "colossal windfall" when the rich will be paying MORE in taxes when you remove all the tax shelters and other exemptions? Let's engage in some math here ...

Someone making 40k annually will have to pay 2k in taxes.
(which is WAY less than what they are paying under the current system)

Someone who earns 100K annually will have to pay 5K in taxes.
(Which is less than someone who makes 40K annually under our present system)

Someone who earns 1 million annually will have to pay 50K in taxes.
(Do you honestly think that the millionaires are actually paying this much in taxes under our current system?)

When you look at the actual math, it's the rich that will be paying the bulk of the taxes and not the middle class. This is the only true method of getting the rich to pay their fair share ... All these other schemes just place the burden upon the middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 PM
 
Location: NC
586 posts, read 514,756 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
A flat tax isn't a fair tax. It's a colossal windfall for the wealthy and makes poor people pay more.

Really?
Are you serious? Because that's funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Status: "Nevertheless, America's baseball team -- Roar, Tigers, ROAR!" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna. (birthplace)
12,317 posts, read 7,462,810 times
Reputation: 15892
Given that a substantial portion of the public can't even differentiate income from wealth, I'd speculate that this little flame-fest will go downhill rather quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Hinckley Ohio
6,722 posts, read 4,419,292 times
Reputation: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
I dont know what % but EVERYONE should pay the same % on ALL income.

No deductions, no credits, no loopholes.
Every single person paying the same exact % on any and all income.

Discrimination isnt accepted in most places why should it be accepted when it comes to how much of your income the government confiscates?
And tax ALL TYPES of income for payroll taxes without a cap on income. I'd set that rate to do away with the employer match.

Personally, I think a given amount, linked to poverty level, should be exempt from all taxes. $5k personal exemption for everyone.

Don't think 5% is enough, 15% or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Houston
22,398 posts, read 11,534,751 times
Reputation: 9012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
How is it a "colossal windfall" when the rich will be paying MORE in taxes when you remove all the tax shelters and other exemptions? Let's engage in some math here ...

Someone making 40k annually will have to pay 2k in taxes.
(which is WAY less than what they are paying under the current system)

Someone who earns 100K annually will have to pay 5K in taxes.
(Which is less than someone who makes 40K annually under our present system)

Someone who earns 1 million annually will have to pay 50K in taxes.
(Do you honestly think that the millionaires are actually paying this much in taxes under our current system?)

When you look at the actual math, it's the rich that will be paying the bulk of the taxes and not the middle class. This is the only true method of getting the rich to pay their fair share ... All these other schemes just place the burden upon the middle class.
What percentage of GDP do you think our government spends now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top