U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:44 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,819,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Which is exactly what I was expecting, to be honest.

The point is, there is risks. Nobody's trying to hide the risks. If the women want to take the risk, then that's their prerogative.

What we -could- do is make sterilization easier to acquire. As, there are many doctors who refuse to do voluntary sterilization on women (like, permanent, not just "tying the tubes") because of fear of lawsuits further on, or pretty much "You're just gonna change your mind and regret this anyways so I'm not gonna do it on you"
But no one can find even one case where a woman who got a ligation (I even had to sign a waiver 35 years ago and in a non-US country) who subsequently sued for being sterilized.

It's a red herring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 02:47 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,479,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Which is exactly what I was expecting, to be honest.

The point is, there is risks. Nobody's trying to hide the risks. If the women want to take the risk, then that's their prerogative.

What we -could- do is make sterilization easier to acquire. As, there are many doctors who refuse to do voluntary sterilization on women (like, permanent, not just "tying the tubes") because of fear of lawsuits further on, or pretty much "You're just gonna change your mind and regret this anyways so I'm not gonna do it on you"
Sadly though, some of these "women" are teens and their parents are taking the risk for them and I think preventing pregnancy trumps all from their point of view. You can't expect a 15-16 year old girl to fully comprehend and decide between long-term health risks decades down the road vs sex with her boyfriend tomorrow night. That's a no brainer.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 PM

593 posts, read 1,236,256 times
Well gosh if we didn't have those pesky researchers and doctors inventing silly stuff like birth control, maybe women wouldn't have gotten in their fool heads to think they could have any control over their bodies. The real culprits are the inventors of birth control!! Grab yer pitchforks and light your torches!!

Old 02-20-2012, 02:53 PM

7,450 posts, read 5,815,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sadly though, some of these "women" are teens and their parents are taking the risk for them and I think preventing pregnancy trumps all from their point of view. You can't expect a 15-16 year old girl to fully comprehend and decide between long-term health risks decades down the road vs sex with her boyfriend tomorrow night. That's a no brainer.
YOu'd be surprised at what a 15-16 year old girl "fully comprehends". Many 15-16 year old girls that I've met are more mature than 30 year old women.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:58 PM

22,889 posts, read 16,262,779 times
Surely this should be in the Health forum.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:58 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,953,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Is that how you make all of your decisions in life? Listen only to the side that tells you what you want to hear?
I think many have seen your screaming rant about the sin of any form of birth control and the insanity that represents in the present over in the christianity area.

Your position on this is based solely on ancient superstitions and a tremendous amount of extreme ignorance about the reality of over population.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM

575 posts, read 830,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
We can thank President Obama for one thing: starting a national conversation on the use of contraception.

It has been documented in other posts how the availability of contraception, due to the promiscuous and irresponsible lifestyle it promotes, has lead to increases in abortion, out-of-wedlock births, sexually transmitted diseases, and other social maladies.

It has also been explained how contraception has led to the explosive growth of government and the nanny state by eroding our natural support network - the extended family.

What is seldom discussed, however, is how "the pill" specifically poisons the bodies, lives, and relationships of women. A timely article by Mary Anne Moresco titled "Poisoned by the Pill: Truths About Chemical Contraception" reviews the facts:

"Each year, thousands of cases of cancer can be attributed to hormonal contraception.Any other drug (or heaven forbid natural supplement) which had been linked to so much cancer would have been yanked from the market long ago ..."

Please read the entire article.

I think my first impulse would be to tell you to seek out therapy since you seem to have so many problems with what women do with their own bodies and lives.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:00 PM

593 posts, read 1,236,256 times
Actually, the real culprits are the educational system that trained and coddled the brainpower of the researchers and scientists who invented birth control!!!!!! [Now I'm beginning to see the REAL reasons behind the war on teachers...]

Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 PM

4,989 posts, read 2,005,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
International Agency for Research on Cancer
World Health Organization
IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans
Volume 91 (2007)
Combined Estrogen-Progestogen Contraceptives and Combined Estrogen-Progestogen Menopausal Therapy

Summary of Data Reported and Evaluation:
Overall evaluation
Combined oral estrogen-progestogen contraceptives are carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). There is also convincing evidence in humans that these agents confer a protective effect against cancer of the endometrium and ovary.

(There is a newer Monograph (2011) but I can't find a link)

*bump*

Old 02-20-2012, 03:17 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,723,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I think many have seen your screaming rant about the sin of any form of birth control and the insanity that represents in the present over in the christianity area.
"Screaming rant", eh?

You mean this?

Those weren't my words - I was quoting someone - but I stand by them as true. And let's be clear that I've only posted maybe three or four times to the Christianity forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or