U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
994 posts, read 1,463,638 times
Reputation: 1198

Advertisements

Nice try. /eats his cereal with a fork
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
Reputation: 54016
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
It has been documented in other posts how the availability of contraception, due to the promiscuous and irresponsible lifestyle it promotes, has lead to increases in abortion, out-of-wedlock births
Ummmm .... no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 08:50 AM
 
4,989 posts, read 2,006,243 times
Reputation: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Grilling meat produces carcinogens. Yet I don't see a lot of conservatives switching to tofu and sprouts. Don't conservatives typically mock the Federal govt.'s carcinogen warnings?
That's easy to fix - don't burn your meat.

Burnt
meat carcinogens (heterocyclic amines) are Group 2A and Group 2B.

The IARC categorizes agents, mixtures and exposures into five categories:
* Group 1: carcinogenic to humans.
* Group 2A: probably carcinogenic to humans.
* Group 2B: possibly carcinogenic to humans.
* Group 3: not classifiable as to carcinogenicity in humans.
* Group 4: probably not carcinogenic to humans.


The pill (estrogen/progesterone) are Group 1 carcinogens - right up there with cigarettes and asbestos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 AM
 
40,106 posts, read 24,350,113 times
Reputation: 12619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
That's easy to fix - don't burn your meat.

Burnt
meat carcinogens (heterocyclic amines) are Group 2A and Group 2B.

The IARC categorizes agents, mixtures and exposures into five categories:
* Group 1: carcinogenic to humans.
* Group 2A: probably carcinogenic to humans.
* Group 2B: possibly carcinogenic to humans.
* Group 3: not classifiable as to carcinogenicity in humans.
* Group 4: probably not carcinogenic to humans.


The pill (estrogen/progesterone) are Group 1 carcinogens - right up there with cigarettes and asbestos.
And no healthy woman can live if she has no exposure to estrogen at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 AM
 
4,989 posts, read 2,006,243 times
Reputation: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And no healthy woman can live if she has no exposure to estrogen at all.

That's really beside the point.

Human produced estrogen is not carcinogenic, synthetic steroidal estrogen is carcinogenic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Ohio
15,159 posts, read 13,420,911 times
Reputation: 20593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
That's easy to fix - don't burn your meat.

Burnt meat carcinogens (heterocyclic amines) are Group 2A and Group 2B.

The IARC categorizes agents, mixtures and exposures into five categories:
* Group 1: carcinogenic to humans.
* Group 2A: probably carcinogenic to humans.
* Group 2B: possibly carcinogenic to humans.
* Group 3: not classifiable as to carcinogenicity in humans.
* Group 4: probably not carcinogenic to humans.

The pill (estrogen/progesterone) are Group 1 carcinogens - right up there with cigarettes and asbestos.
No need to barbecue beef to get cancer from eating it.
Red-Meat Eaters Risk Colon Cancer

Read it and weep boys......only a little bit of sex and a little bit of beef for you!

{cause guess what.....take away the Pill and you won't be having very much sex either.}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 AM
 
40,106 posts, read 24,350,113 times
Reputation: 12619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
That's really beside the point.

Human produced estrogen is not carcinogenic, synthetic steroidal estrogen is carcinogenic.
It's really not that simple.

Estrogen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM
 
4,989 posts, read 2,006,243 times
Reputation: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
No need to barbecue beef to get cancer from eating it.
Red-Meat Eaters Risk Colon Cancer

Read it and weep boys......only a little bit of sex and a little bit of beef for you!

{cause guess what.....take away the Pill and you won't be having very much sex either.}

The study does not support your claim since it does not seek to control how the red meat was prepared. But that's for another thread.

Bottom line: red meat is still a possible/probable carcinogen (Group 2A/2B) and the pill is a definite carcinogen (Group 1).

My main beef (pun intended): we all know the evils of red meat; but, I had to dig like hell to find any info on the pill.

I've already rethought my diet - have you rethought your medication?

Devil that I am, I can't help but end on this note: You bring the sushi and I'll bring the Trojans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Orlando
8,233 posts, read 11,271,686 times
Reputation: 4064
And to think promiscuity is such a recent event...oh wait, I guess it was Columbus that came to the islands and apparently banged some of the natives, who apparently liked their sheep... syphilis is a sheep disease you know.... It was Columbus and his crew that brought that back to Europe..... I'm sure they were upstanding Catholics and married the natives before hitting it...

but they didn't have the pill back in the 1400's... they didn't even understand sex and conception. but I'm sure the OP is right and all the sexual woes of the world are a result of the pill I'm not sure how taking contraception leads to more abortions when it is designed to prevent the pregnancy to begin with.....

Hmmm could it be simply that this hypothesis is just full of holes? isn't this from the same church that seems to have some issues with sex abuse? going to blame that on the pill too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 04:27 AM
 
Location: Ohio
15,159 posts, read 13,420,911 times
Reputation: 20593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
The study does not support your claim since it does not seek to control how the red meat was prepared. But that's for another thread.

Bottom line: red meat is still a possible/probable carcinogen (Group 2A/2B) and the pill is a definite carcinogen (Group 1).

My main beef (pun intended): we all know the evils of red meat; but, I had to dig like hell to find any info on the pill.

I've already rethought my diet - have you rethought your medication?

Devil that I am, I can't help but end on this note: You bring the sushi and I'll bring the Trojans!
Vegetarian here....and too old to get pregnant any longer .

Sushi? Ummm...... ewww! I'll bring a veggi burger, still bring the Trojans though, no tellin where you've been!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top