U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,238,432 times

Advertisements

Wake board endorses gay-marriage amendment - Local/State - NewsObserver.com

So much for bringing decent employers here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,810,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You get what you vote for. ...that isn't directed toward you but a general comment for the County.

In a few decades, votes like this will be remembered in much the same way that segregationist votes of the past are viewed today.

I still haven't heard a single logical, non-religious argument for this amendment and that includes raising children. Neither having ones marriage sanctified by a religious institution nor having/raising children is a requirement of a legal marriage today. Any reference to those arguments are non-starters for me unless this amendment is coupled (no pun intended) with language requiring both for everyone. While at it, let's see what happens when divorce is put up to a vote of the public.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 PM

924 posts, read 1,806,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
you get what you vote for. ...that isn't directed toward you but a general comment for the county.

In a few decades, votes like this will be remembered in much the same way that segregationist votes of the past are viewed today.

I still haven't heard a single logical, non-religious argument for this amendment and that includes raising children. Neither having ones marriage sanctified by a religious institution nor having/raising children is a requirement of a legal marriage today. Any reference to those arguments are non-starters for me unless this amendment is coupled (no pun intended) with language requiring both for everyone. While at it, let's see what happens when divorce is put up to a vote of the public.
+1

Old 02-20-2012, 05:16 PM

809 posts, read 1,922,650 times
From the OP's link:

"Coble pointed out that the resolution called for the board to endorse the amendment, not for voters to support it."

"How does the county board get off on telling the citizens of Wake County how they should vote?" Portman asked. "Is that not heavy handed? Is that not arrogant?"

Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 PM

107 posts, read 120,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Marriage should not belong in the government, local or otherwise. The governments should be neutral on marriage. It should not recognize it or regulate it in any fashion. This applies to straight or gay marriage.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCfolks View Post
Marriage should not belong in the government, local or otherwise. The governments should be neutral on marriage. It should not recognize it or regulate it in any fashion. This applies to straight or gay marriage.
As much as I am sure of your sincerity, the problem with your position is that marriage and this vote is all about legal rights, not religious interpretation. We are not voting on Muslim marriage, Jewish marriage, Christian marriage, Hindu marriage, etc. This is an amendment about the rights associated with a legal civil marriage. Nobody is trying to regulate religious marriages because, frankly, the state has no interest in a religious ceremony if it doesn't come with a civil marriage license. One can be legally married with the civil marriage license and no religious ceremony but not vice versa.

If this country is unable to separate the legal aspects of marriage from the religious interpretation of the institution, I think that the country has to seriously consider doing what some other countries do and NOT connect the two in one ceremony. Have the religious ceremony that means nothing to the state and have a separate civil ceremony that is all about the legal rights afforded by the state.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,565,913 times
Quote:
You get what you vote for. ...that isn't directed toward you but a general comment for the County.

You know, it seems like no one is bothering to get married any more anyway. People just have kids very nearly at random and let the chips fall where they may. It seems to me folks would do whatever they could to encourage commitments like marriage for anyone willing to make the leap. I don't have the stats, but there are so many divorced couples and couples who never bothered to get married having kids, it's a wonder anyone grows up with an intact family anymore. If a same sex couple can provide a stable, legally committed and enduring home to a child/ren, more power to them.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 PM

11,258 posts, read 19,796,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
if a same sex couple can provide a stable, legally committed and enduring home to a child/ren, more power to them.
+1

Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 PM

107 posts, read 120,632 times
Quote:
As much as I am sure of your sincerity, the problem with your position is that marriage and this vote is all about legal rights, not religious interpretation. We are not voting on Muslim marriage, Jewish marriage, Christian marriage, Hindu marriage, etc. This is an amendment about the rights associated with a legal civil marriage. Nobody is trying to regulate religious marriages because, frankly, the state has no interest in a religious ceremony if it doesn't come with a civil marriage license. One can be legally married with the civil marriage license and no religious ceremony but not vice versa.

If this country is unable to separate the legal aspects of marriage from the religious interpretation of the institution, I think that the country has to seriously consider doing what some other countries do and NOT connect the two in one ceremony. Have the religious ceremony that means nothing to the state and have a separate civil ceremony that is all about the legal rights afforded by the state.
Maybe you missed my point. I don't think any government, local or otherwise, should put its nose in the business of marriage. It should not be a factor. It shouldn't ban a type of marriage and it shouldn't support a type of it. If you want to marry 14 woman at the same time, have at it. It should not be recognized one way or another. It shouldn't show up on a tax form either. Everything should be based on individuals and marriage should not factor into the government's role. That way this vote wouldn't be able to be a vote. It would be a non factor.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
You know, it seems like no one is bothering to get married any more anyway. People just have kids very nearly at random and let the chips fall where they may. It seems to me folks would do whatever they could to encourage commitments like marriage for anyone willing to make the leap. I don't have the stats, but there are so many divorced couples and couples who never bothered to get married having kids, it's a wonder anyone grows up with an intact family anymore. If a same sex couple can provide a stable, legally committed and enduring home to a child/ren, more power to them.
Interesting points you make. +1
BTW, this amendment hurts more than just gay couples. It hurts the unmarried partners in straight relationships too.

At the end of the day, voting no on this amendment doesn't make gay marriages legal, it just keeps discriminatory language out of the state's constitution. Like most the country, I don't imagine gay marriages being legal in NC until the Supreme Court unilaterally strikes down the bans and renders are a wide verdict on the issue....not that I'd hold my breath for that either.

But, then again, who would have believed that NC would have a wide ranging indoor smoking ban in public accommodations? So, anything can happen I suppose.

This vote is going to come down to whether or not 18-30 year olds vote in large numbers. Again, not holding my breath.... Despite the polling against the amendment, I suspect the old people and fearful church-vote will be out in droves to "protect" us from absolutely nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies