Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 03:45 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times

Advertisements

Without unions, companies would run all over employees...like they used too.

However unions need to take a hard look at what they are doing, they are killing themselves by becoming self serving organizations. It shouldn't be about keeping the job of some discipline problem slacker, or preventing people from learning multiple crafts so they can be marketable in the workforce should a layoff come.

Ive worked w unions for over 20 years and they sicken me how they 'punish' employees who work hard (making long timers look bad by exposing their slacking). I'm all for fair treatment and job safety but its become a system of hiring relatives and friends...just like they want to prevent mgmt from doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 03:54 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Did you surrender your Norski citizenship?
No.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:12 AM

779 posts, read 537,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
No.
How convenient.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
No.
So you collect an oil dividends cheque?

Old 02-23-2012, 04:35 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I have, I'm guessing the OP hasn't. They have no clue, all they know is the wingnut talking point of the day is "unions bad".

In the real world unions are very good. They provide job training. For me my pay rate was based on my experience and how much experience (WORK) I received was based on my past performance. Funny thing, this unions protect lazy workers doesn't exist. NOBODY I've ever worked with, union or non-union, ever condoned a lazy co-worker, would you? The only exception I can even think of was having to work with a moma's boy boss' son that thought he didn't have to pull his weight, didn't take daddy long to weed him out. Any lazy worker I have ever seen wouldn't last a day on a union crew.

I've, been a union sheet metal worker, in the UAW and a union carpenter. Never saw these BS talking points in action. I have read about what this country was like without unions... Those good ole dayz are not something we should be looking at going bad to. Google ludlow massacre to read about how the government teamed with business to suppress workers.
Heres another one...

Homestead Strike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
So you collect an oil dividends cheque?
Norwegians do not get oil dividend handed out to them.

I kept it, because it makes travel in Europe easier, and because I can go back to Norway if I want to. There is no reason why I should renounce it.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
No.
You're a modern Quisling, and you worship corporations. One away from modern (diguised) corporate fascism.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Don't forget ALL the major sports leagues have unions. I guess stories about bankrupt players living with their job related disabilities like Iron Mike Webster should be ignored, too.
Mike Webster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-23-2012, 04:47 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

No matter how much better you are at your job than the next person, your compensation is the same.
That's not true.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You seem to forget, if I don't like the conditions of MY employment, I can go get employed elsewhere.

When I was employed, I negotiated my starting pay, and signed up for those benefits I desired. We have no union where I work, and in all honesty, my co workers and I are ALL extremely happy to be where we are.

And WITHOUT a union. In fact I dare say, that even if a union TRIED to weasel their way in and get a vote, that they would be turned down so fast that it would be funny!
If you are treated well and fairly, there is no need for a union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies