U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 PM

6,722 posts, read 4,417,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Maybe you need to google the Haymarket Affair. You man learn something about unions in the good old days. Maybe you should google the Railroad Strike and resulting violence in 1877.

Conditions are not where they were in the old days of the latter 1800s and most of it is because unions really served a purpose. Today they serve more of the purposes of leaders' pockets than anything else.
i know all about the government siding with the corporate interests against the unions, what is your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 01:07 PM

12,482 posts, read 8,807,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They limit personal freedom.

No matter how much better you are at your job than the next person, your compensation is the same.

That just seems wrong to me.
They exist to self perpetuate the union and helping its members is secondary to self survival. The union bosses could car less about the union members they just want their salaries and ability to control pensions

Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,814,476 times
Quote:
They limit personal freedom.

No matter how much better you are at your job than the next person, your compensation is the same.

That just seems wrong to me.
Don't like unions, don't join them. No one is forcing you to work for an employer that hires only unions.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:13 PM

6,722 posts, read 4,417,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
They exist to self perpetuate the union and helping its members is secondary to self survival. The union bosses could car less about the union members they just want their salaries and ability to control pensions
are you clairvoyant or a mind reader? how would YOU know what is in the minds of ALL union leaders? Do you even know a union leader personally? more unsupported wingnut talking points?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:15 PM

6,396 posts, read 4,394,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Then don't apply at a place that requires union membership.
Here's a better idea. Since Union dues are equal to legalized extortion, make it illegal to REQUIRE someone to join a union and pay dues to work somewhere. That gives people the freedom to choose whether or not they wish to be in a union.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
if you dislike anything about a potential employer, you can find employment elsewhere.
Again, it's not the employer, it's the legalized extortion that takes place by being required to join the union.

The only good union, is a credit union.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:23 PM

86,886 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Quote:
That's BS.

Every non-union person I know earns a higher income than the unionized people that I know.

For instance, not ONE of my neighbors is a union employee.

Conversely, EVERY unionized employee that I know has a lower standard of living than I.
You don't know any nurses, do you?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Elsewhere, I think you said it was 2/3rds. Now you got it whittled down to as little as 1/3. Still that amount is going to be hard for a lot of people to believe.
Sorry, I meant to say 1/3, having a bit of trouble typing with one hand. however those weeks where she only worked 10 hours, it was 1/2 of her take home pay. I am currently at home with a broken hand. BTW, without being in a union, I am still receiving full pay and benefits, covered by my non-union employer.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No, for the millionth time, no one is required to sign up to become a union member. But the union has the right to take money from non members as well. So what law says you are required to continue working there? If you abhor labor unions, then get the hell out of there!
Thank you, you prove my point, legalized extortion.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
Actually when we became unionized we got a raise....
How much of a raise, and how much did you pay in union dues, that takes away FROM your raise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies