U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:46 PM

261 posts, read 494,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I hate having to ask my doctor to explain whether they deserved to get in to med school on merit or where admitted because of some other factor that might end up causing me injury or death.
Why would you have to ask about how they got into med school? Has nothing to do with med school because if they didn't pass the US Medical and other respective licensing exams they probably wouldn't be standing before you to operate in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 05:46 PM

50,180 posts, read 26,572,905 times
Quote:
I hate having to ask my doctor to explain whether they deserved to get in to med school on merit or where admitted because of some other factor that might end up causing me injury or death.
Seeing as how doctors are usually retained by most folks referral from others, i don't think that happens too much. But that's the latest and greatest analogy being used today by the anti-affirmative action crowd.

I've yet to question a doctors credentials, and i've seen quite a few. For what?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
That is how you end up with people like Joe Biden in positions of power. They are dangerous.
So unqualified people in powerful positions stared with Mr. Biden, huh?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:56 PM

19,661 posts, read 14,643,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why didn't white folks pick their own cotton then?
Because they would get lost in the cotton field. Everyone knows only Mexican will work in the Fields these days anyways.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:00 PM

1,003 posts, read 619,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
lol yup...it's a discussion that they don't wanna have.

It's white America's Anti-Affirmative Action, dirty little tucked away secret.

Well I'm a white Anti-AA person. And I say keep the whites out and bring on the Asians. If an Asian person is more qualified than I am then I want the Asian hired/admitted/promoted over me.

So peddle your hypocrisy accusations somewhere else.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 PM

36,617 posts, read 16,012,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So what if it does? The world keeps turning. Big deal.

I'm at one of the best companies in the area, and if i throw a rock in the air it'll land on someone that's a half-wit. Big deal. Half-wits need jobs too.

Life goes on. I don't know why people are obsessed with who is and who isn't qualified for a job. Just worry about your own job and keep it moving.
Do you have a point?
I was responding to another poster,

"Originally Posted by simetime
Remember it is still an ACT and not a law, which makes illegal hiring so much easier to get around.

For some reason white males are using the same excuse that minorities are being hired over more qualified whites, this is not true in the majority of cases. No one is going to hire someone that is substandard over a more qualified applicant. They still will hire their friend or family member over anyone else regardless of gender or skin color"

I don't see where your comment has anything to do with the other posters claim.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:17 PM

19,661 posts, read 14,643,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It's white America's Anti-Affirmative Action, dirty little tucked away secret.
So Black people created affirmative action and made the White Majority and politicians create laws to enforce it? Last I checked John F. Kennedy signed an executive order for the first use of Afirmative Action. Now, I know there's a few black Kennedy's out there but I may be wrong

Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 PM

86,917 posts, read 102,388,879 times
Quote:
Certainly you've heard the joke about how 50% of doctors were in the bottom half of their class!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Well I'm a white Anti-AA person. And I say keep the whites out and bring on the Asians. If an Asian person is more qualified than I am then I want the Asian hired/admitted/promoted over me.

So peddle your hypocrisy accusations somewhere else.
No you don't. No one does. That's lunacy. There is someone in America better qualified for your job than you are right now. Should your employer fire you today and hire them? Get outta here with this fake nonsense.

No one will decline ANY ADVANTAGE given to them. It simply doesn't happen, and you won't do it either. If there is an inside track to a better situation that is offered to you and you know damn well that the Asian dude without the inside track is your competitor, you will not decline to use the advantage. It's never happened in the history of mankind. And let's be clear....you ARE human.

Nevermind hypocrisy...we're all part of the same hypocrisy anyway. That includes you. This whole Gomer Pyle thing that you're trying to pull is a load of bull. Please, don't start talking like i've got a flower pot on my head. You're as cutthroat as the next man.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:47 PM

22,412 posts, read 11,547,569 times
A lot of people addressing if AA is right or wrong. Few addressing if it is constitutional.

The applicable part of the 14th Amendment:

Quote:
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
In my opinion governments should not be allowed to discriminate based on race. Opinions favoring AA have generally held that the need for diversity gives the state a great enough interest to impose AA. I think this opinion is wrong.

I can justify AA as addressing past discrimination as possibly a good thing. I cannot find it constitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies