Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:51 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Count me as one that supports affirmative action and hope it sticks around.
But in Oklahoma, Affirmative Action is so hated, even though it's voluntary if companies want to do it, that Republicans hope that Oklahomans will vote to ban it in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Well I'm a white Anti-AA person. And I say keep the whites out and bring on the Asians. If an Asian person is more qualified than I am then I want the Asian hired/admitted/promoted over me.

So peddle your hypocrisy accusations somewhere else.
Sell it to the rest of the Klan.

If you are true to your principles as you claim...then you should be outraged and disgusted at the very idea that there is an "Asian ceiling" in higher academia used to filter out statistically more qualified Asians in preference to maintain white majorities at elite institutions. You should be rallying up more whites to contest this very practice and call on your Congressmen to have these colleges review EVERY white applicant to ensure that the most qualified of the bunch get in. With this massive cover up, every white in an elite institution should be considered Affrimative Action "quotas" themselves and should be leered at with suspicion by other Asians.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:08 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Count me as one who is against affirmative action and supports equal rights instead.
Yep...I'll take this stand also and add getting rid of set asides along with ANY race/gender based advantages for ANY race/gender too.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Count me as one that supports affirmative action and hope it sticks around.

So you support giving preference to a rich (insert group here) kid over a poor (insert different group here) kid?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
We've seen how that worked out in the 60's and 70's. Without it, blacks would be much worse off then they are now.

And with it, poor whites are worse off today than they were in the 60's and 70's.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
My children will have to achieve whatever they want to achieve on their own merit. There will be no affirmative action. I don't see what's supposed to be wrong with that. Everybody has the same chances in the U.S. Affirmative Action covers up the root of the problem, which is poverty, HS drop out rates, attitude, and whatever else it may be. If you aren't good enough, you got to study harder ( in this case ). Don't blame others. People just don't know how to appreciate what they have here. 95% of this planet is much worse of than any American. The only exception is would accept is some conditions such as ADHD and learning disabilities.
Oh, and I am a liberal. Sorry that I don't fit your stereotypes.

I don't see how anyone can suggest with a straight face that poor kids have the same chances as rich kids.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:51 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Do you forget the reason AA existed in the first place? Minorities and women weren't getting hired because of their race or gender back in the 50's 60's and 70's. It was put in place to give non-whites and women an opportunity that they otherwise wouldn't have gotten. How many white males were hired or given employment opportunites back in the day that women or minorities were more qualified to do? This law tries to balance the field. Even though its 2012, we still see examples of racism in the work place and school, so unless you can guarantee that race won't play a factor in any single situation, we still need the law.

put people behind a screen, let them talk through a voice modulator so it changes their voice, and go on that. you dont know what race or sex the person is.

also, this isnt the 50's anymore. we have a black president, or do you think he got into the whitehouse because of AA?

also, dont foget about reverse discrimination, where white males get denied services because they are that, white males.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
Quote:
That is false. It was a good idea. If we didn't have AA, whites would not have hired blacks back in the 60's and 70's. Blacks would be even worse off today than they already are
Not true. People change, times change. It hurt people that never had anything to do with discrimination in the past and helped people that happened to be the color of the week. To allow this bad idea to continue will only reenforce the idea that some minorities can't make it in life without being placed at the head of the line.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:56 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
Quote:
Like i always say with Affirmative Action, it will go away when racism goes away or whites no longer have a strangle hold in this country, whichever comes first. If racism isn't going away, than I'm all for Affirmative Action until whites no longer make up the majority of this country and don't make up the majority of people in power.
It's not much about racism but more about power. Black power brokers push for AA because they want more power for "their people". AG Holder said so in a reply why he did not go after the black panthers blocking voters during the election. "Because they are my people". Whites do not "own racism" and are much more progressive than the majority of black so called "leaders".

Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Not true. People change, times change. It hurt people that never had anything to do with discrimination in the past and helped people that happened to be the color of the week. To allow this bad idea to continue will only reenforce the idea that some minorities can't make it in life without being placed at the head of the line.
Let me ask you, when would times have changed if not for AA. They certainly weren't offering minorities opportunites back in the 50's 60's and 70's. When would whites have given minorities true opportunities, the 80's and 90's?

This great idea will continue, until racism disappears, or whites no longer have the majority power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies