Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,184 times

Advertisements

This is the entitlement mindset that liberal politics encourages.

Judge Judy - Here's Who You Support With Taxes.flv - YouTube.flv - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post

Here's the fault with your thinking-- Liberals are not "entitlement minded." I am for those who require it to get material support in housing, feeding, and clothing their kids.

I also support making dramatic improvements in inner-city schools. I'd love to invest loads of money in crime prevention programs and even more in infrastructure repair which will create hundreds of thousands of jobs. The money can come from making corporations actually pay taxes by removing their loopholes and reduced military spending.

Rather than spending my time vilifying the exploited idiots who go on shows like "Judge Judy", I'd prefer to work on solutions that will limit the need of social service support. I believe is the typical liberal perspective. Sounds pretty reasonable, right?

Of course, many prefer to believe in the imagined liberal boogieman proffered by snake-oil salesmen like RushGlenn.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Here's the fault with your thinking-- Liberals are not "entitlement minded." I am for those who require it to get material support in housing, feeding, and clothing their kids.

I also support making dramatic improvements in inner-city schools. I'd love to invest loads of money in crime prevention programs and even more in infrastructure repair which will create hundreds of thousands of jobs. The money can come from making corporations actually pay taxes by removing their loopholes and reduced military spending.

Rather than spending my time vilifying the exploited idiots who go on shows like "Judge Judy", I'd prefer to work on solutions that will limit the need of social service support. I believe is the typical liberal perspective. Sounds pretty reasonable, right?

Of course, many prefer to believe in the imagined liberal boogieman proffered by snake-oil salesmen like RushGlenn.
There's always someone willing to make excuses.
We're doomed.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The "entitlements" I object to are executive compensation based on market destruction and monopoly profits by crony capitalism aided by corrupting the political system.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
There's always someone willing to make excuses.
We're doomed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The "entitlements" I object to are executive compensation based on market destruction and monopoly profits by crony capitalism aided by corrupting the political system.
See?

Old 02-21-2012, 07:57 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
Quote:
See?
LOL. Yeah the evil corporatist CEO's are making clowns like this guy work the system. Pathetic.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 AM

Considering corporations that use loopholes to pay -zero- taxes cost hundreds of billions and this Judge Judy ******* costs less than 5000 a year I would focus on the real problem.

Of course, that doesn't enable certain right-wingers to vilify and hate the poor... and what's the fun in that?

Both problems need to be solved. Of course ignoring one side out of political expediency is all the rage

Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
Corporations are created to make money for their shareholders. All the tax the evil corporations into oblivion folks are the same ones who don't realize if that happened their 401K would be dinged and start screaming about that next. In fact one of the reasons many corporations move offshore is due to the fact the US has one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world. They are in the business to make money plain and simple. They don't the investors leave and the corporation goes bankrupt. Well unless they get a pile of taxpayer dollars to keep em going like certain folks.

As for using loopholes they are laws. Call them what they are. Do you call a tax credit a loophole if you have kids, deduct your mortgage etc?

Entitlements are destroying the country, destroying incentive to achieve and leaving folks with the I'm gonna get mine if somebody else is attitude. Everything about it is wrong. Hand up is fine but a hand out has got to stop.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:26 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,024 times
Quote:

I can't believe this mushmouth is a third year college student. He does not sound or think like a college-educated member of society. The state should sue the college to gets its tuition money back.

Every response ended with the ghetto phrase "you know what I saying?"

Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Corporations are created to make money for their shareholders. All the tax the evil corporations into oblivion folks are the same ones who don't realize if that happened their 401K would be dinged and start screaming about that next.
I don't think corporations are evil. I own one. Don't you think that GE should pay the same tax rate my corporation does? What happened to tax fairness? Does it go out the window when one has a chance to be obsequious to the super-rich?

Quote:
In fact one of the reasons many corporations move offshore is due to the fact the US has one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world. They are in the business to make money plain and simple. They don't the investors leave and the corporation goes bankrupt. Well unless they get a pile of taxpayer dollars to keep em going like certain folks.
How patriotic of them! They offshore to avoid taxes and to pay slave level wages. And yet we should still kiss their ass? Restrict and reign them in with regulation and tax policy. They're not going away. They might even employ some Americans for a change

Quote:
As for using loopholes they are laws. Call them what they are. Do you call a tax credit a loophole if you have kids, deduct your mortgage etc?
Those deductions are legit as long as the law says they are. Change the law, they're no longer legit. Change the corporate tax regulation and *poof* the loopholes disappear.

Quote:
Entitlements are destroying the country, destroying incentive to achieve and leaving folks with the I'm gonna get mine if somebody else is attitude. Everything about it is wrong. Hand up is fine but a hand out has got to stop.
That's funny-- Harvard still seems to have a waiting list every year. Entrepreneurs are out starting new businesses and raising money. I don't see any corporate executive positions that remain open due to a lack of "achievers." The problem with entitlements (and I think you mean social welfare programs-- not entitlements such as Medicare) for most right wingers is that (a) They don't like to share and (b) someone else in society gets something they don't.

Corporate largess, destruction of the middle class, infrastructure, and poorly enforced regulation are all much bigger problems than the low percentage of welfare cheats. Keep your eye on the ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies