U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:47 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,776,736 times

Advertisements

http://www.secretasianman.com/images...s/sa090524.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 03:00 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,228,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwarda View Post
i was thinking about this the other day because of lin and how espn fired it's writers for some insensitive remarks. What i found interesting is that espn fired these writers not because some asian american group demanded it but because of pressure from the net and media folks.

i think asian americans are too busy with school and work to be perpetually offended by relatively meaningless remarks made on a sports site.

whereas blacks, jews, gays and other groups have perfected the victimhood and outrage act to an art form.
Hey!!! Stereotype!!!! GTFO!!!

Honky

(Interesting Point, Bulldawg)

Old 02-21-2012, 03:03 PM

8,099 posts, read 5,769,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
No one will bat an eye if someone makes another corny 7-11 or taxi-cab joke, but god forbid you say anything even remotely offensive to blacks and you'll be dragged through the mud by society. Even further exacerbating the ridiculousness is that it's very likely the indian/asian has done well for themself in america, all without the help of "white privilege" and the "good ol boy's network"

Double standards, anyone?

Note - this is NOT meant to attack blacks. This message is intended to ask why it's acceptable for anyone of any race - white, black, hispanic in America etc to casually make a curry joke without any reprecussions?

You're wrong.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:07 PM

8,099 posts, read 5,769,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Wedding reception at white castle

LOL, I mean, seriously?
LOL. I have a feeling they had the reception there so they can tell everyone years down the road that their wedding reception was at a white castle and not White Castle hamburger joint.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 PM

49,658 posts, read 26,346,148 times
Quote:
No one will bat an eye if someone makes another corny 7-11 or taxi-cab joke, but god forbid you say anything even remotely offensive to blacks and you'll be dragged through the mud by society. Even further exacerbating the ridiculousness is that it's very likely the indian/asian has done well for themself in america, all without the help of "white privilege" and the "good ol boy's network"

Note - this is NOT meant to attack blacks. This message is intended to ask why it's acceptable for anyone of any race - white, black, hispanic in America etc to casually make a curry joke without any reprecussions?
Bullsh*t on the disclaimer. That's EXACTLY what the thread was meant to be. Why do you guys have such an astounding lack of courage? Just call the thread what it is and take your lumps instead of coming up with these lame titles, OP's, and fake rationalizations.

BTW...the Asians are big boys. If they have a problem, they'll take care of it themselves. Why is everyone all of a sudden so sensitive to racial jokes and comments? When did this start? About two weeks ago when Jeremy Lin cracked the lineup in New York?

Yep!

Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 PM

1,003 posts, read 616,724 times
Quote:

It's politics. The current "hot groups" are muslims, women, gays, and blacks.

You're not going to gain votes by crusading against curry jokes. You are going to gain votes by crusading against an imaginary "War on Women". Simple as that.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Look I have nothing against anyone, but Indians, many times, don't believe in masking their body odor.

When you see a van pull up in front of wal-mart, the doors open, and 10 people fall out to take pictures of wal-mart, and they are all hispanic, how can you not make fun of that?

I'm a southern white male, people make fun of rednecks all the time. There are a lot of idiot rednecks out there, we generally just laugh it off and move on. But God forbid we point out obvious flaws with others in our society, thats not "politically correct".

There is a line that can be crossed, and one person or small group does not mean that the entire group acts the same way. I'll be honest though, some of the stereotypes have real things backing them up.

BTW, I saw the mexicans falling out of the van in my hometown in 1997. I still laugh about it today, damn why didn't we have camera phones.

Wedding reception at white castle

LOL, I mean, seriously?
My favorite burger joint. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I think it could be argued that making fun of various minority ethnicities is done all the time. I submit the classic comedy movie Blazing Saddles as evidence. However the ethnic comedy can't be mean-spirited. That's asking for trouble regardless of who's the target of the humor. Various network television shows also make fun of an array of ethnic backgrounds. The shows including Saturday Night Live and The Office.
Of course it happens all the time. Everyday all day. All of a sudden, a whole bunch of non-Asians feel as if they need to be the protectors of the Asian community? What is that all about? Especially when the Asian community can most certainly speak for themselves.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:16 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,228,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My favorite burger joint. Sounds like a good idea to me.
There isn't better 2:00 AM food.

The amazing thing about White Castle is that it is metabolized down to nothing but methane. No fiber whatsoever.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:34 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,588,688 times
I think this thread has a point. I think that while the profile has been raised for other groups like Blacks, Jews, Hispanics, and other Americans, it seems like casual racism and stereotypes often seem to be overlooked here. In fact I sometimes have felt that people in this society might not be even aware that certain attitudes toward Asians can be considered racist.

Part of that has to do with what EdwardA referred to. I think Asians themselves have been historically reluctant to respond to every single instance of racism and have mostly detached themselves from mainstream media and attitudes toward them. But I think that with the growth of the internet, and with people communicating more openly about it, I think that's changing. I think more people of Asian descent in this country are beginning to feel emboldened to come out and criticize more openly and contest even casual incidents of racism, which they didn't do so much in the past.

Having said that, going back to the Jeremy Lin thing, and going back to other high-profile instances of racism, I have always felt that it's not always right to just fire someone the moment that they make a mistake like that. I don't think the writer should have been fired. I think he should have been disciplined, and publicly forced to apologize. But there could have been more good to come from that. I think having someone like that attend racial sensitivity classes and blogging about his experiences might be an even better way to deal with it. Firing just gets rid of some guy for writing something dumb. There must be a ton of people who are ticking time-bombs for saying or writing something dumb in any organization. What happened to giving them an opportunity to learn and grow from the experience?

Instead this guy who got fired is on the one hand going to feel bad about what he did (which he probably would have already) but instead of focusing solely on his error and his ignorance, he's going to feel like a victim, and a part of him might not regret anything. A part of him might feel bitter, defiant, and self-righteous about his treatment. I wish companies in this society (and people in general) would stop taking the easy way out. ESPN hired this guy. He slipped through their cracks and their vetting process. It's still a reflection on them either way. To me, though, it's an even bigger reflection on them that, rather than just accepting that they could do a better job of creating a climate of awareness and sensitivity on their own staff, they just decided to take the easy way out. ESPN is chickensh*t. Everyone lost here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies