U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 PM

160 posts, read 378,661 times

Advertisements

No one will bat an eye if someone makes another corny 7-11 or taxi-cab joke, but god forbid you say anything even remotely offensive to blacks and you'll be dragged through the mud by society. Even further exacerbating the ridiculousness is that it's very likely the indian/asian has done well for themself in america, all without the help of "white privilege" and the "good ol boy's network"

Double standards, anyone?

Note - this is NOT meant to attack blacks. This message is intended to ask why it's acceptable for anyone of any race - white, black, hispanic in America etc to casually make a curry joke without any reprecussions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 01:23 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,649,566 times
Who said it was allright to make fun of anybody because of their ethnicity in America?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:25 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,289,465 times
I dare you to come to Montana and poke fun at an Indian here. Just let me know before you do, I want to watch. I'm not Indian but know what will happen to you if you offend them.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,429,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
I dare you to come to Montana and poke fun at an Indian here. Just let me know before you do, I want to watch. I'm not Indian but know what will happen to you if you offend them.
I don't think the OP was referring to those indians....

Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,495,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
No one will bat an eye if someone makes another corny 7-11 or taxi-cab joke, but god forbid you say anything even remotely offensive to blacks and you'll be dragged through the mud by society. Even further exacerbating the ridiculousness is that it's very likely the indian/asian has done well for themself in america, all without the help of "white privilege" and the "good ol boy's network"

Double standards, anyone?

Note - this is NOT meant to attack blacks. This message is intended to ask why it's acceptable for anyone of any race - white, black, hispanic in America etc to casually make a curry joke without any reprecussions?
I think it could be argued that making fun of various minority ethnicities is done all the time. I submit the classic comedy movie Blazing Saddles as evidence. However the ethnic comedy can't be mean-spirited. That's asking for trouble regardless of who's the target of the humor. Various network television shows also make fun of an array of ethnic backgrounds. The shows including Saturday Night Live and The Office.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:20 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,841,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Who said it was allright to make fun of anybody because of their ethnicity in America?
^^^
This. There's nothing more to say.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,842,467 times

It's a real book.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:35 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,443,197 times
I was thinking about this the other day because of Lin and how ESPN fired it's writers for some insensitive remarks. What I found interesting is that ESPN fired these writers not because some Asian American group demanded it but because of pressure from the Net and media folks.

I think Asian Americans are too busy with school and work to be perpetually offended by relatively meaningless remarks made on a sports site.

Whereas Blacks, Jews, gays and other groups have perfected the victimhood and outrage act to an art form.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:40 PM

24,889 posts, read 21,075,755 times
Look I have nothing against anyone, but Indians, many times, don't believe in masking their body odor.

When you see a van pull up in front of wal-mart, the doors open, and 10 people fall out to take pictures of wal-mart, and they are all hispanic, how can you not make fun of that?

I'm a southern white male, people make fun of rednecks all the time. There are a lot of idiot rednecks out there, we generally just laugh it off and move on. But God forbid we point out obvious flaws with others in our society, thats not "politically correct".

There is a line that can be crossed, and one person or small group does not mean that the entire group acts the same way. I'll be honest though, some of the stereotypes have real things backing them up.

BTW, I saw the mexicans falling out of the van in my hometown in 1997. I still laugh about it today, damn why didn't we have camera phones.

Wedding reception at white castle

LOL, I mean, seriously?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:41 PM

4,284 posts, read 3,736,201 times
Comedians do it all the time. People laugh at them because there is usually an exaggeration of a truth to it. If we can't laugh at ourselves, then we have bigger problems. I'm half Puerto Rican and half French: I laugh at jokes about both (and the white guy jokes) . My wife is Polish and she laughs at those too. The derogatory names - I find - help people to overcome meanness when we take ownership of it and make light of it. I laugh when people call me cracker or ****. Those are silly and I will have fun with it. Side note: After I submitted this post, I noticed that "sp1c" was asterixed out, but "cracker" wasn't. Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies