Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Let me correct myself...otherwise rational.
I think they can. Many people become uncivil because they may feel it is the next step if things do not work as they think it needs to. To many throwing tea out the ships was uncivil and irrational. I suppose it depends if those being uncivil are on your side of the issue or not to lable them rational or irrational. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:29 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,107 times
Wait. You mean someone on this board doesn't agree with me?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Good comments but most likely no one will agree that he or she is doing what you claim. In general people do believe they are clear on what they say. Think what they believe makes sense. Now, even if they attract some negative comments they may believe their views may not be popular and it is a reaction from people read what they do not want to see. To me it is more effective for you to give specifics to an individual you think is doing what you are claiming just as I am giving you feedback on what you wrote. Good point but to me not very effective for the reasons I just stated. Let me see how respond to my feedback. Take care.
True to a point, but I do believe people get swept up in some of the more fantasyland ideas that they don't even really step back to take a moment to think about what they are saying. When something is so out there and stirs up a lot of emotion within someone who doesn't have a full understanding of the issue, then I believe it can lead to people not realizing what they are posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
They started it.
Good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Same reason why Jersey Shore has 50 times the viewers that Frontline has. People want a circus brawl of epic proportions.
So true, and so sad at the same time. I often wonder what damage shows like this are doing to society... if it can ever be reversed... and if so, what would it take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Let me say that dependence on Wiki may be quick but it also shows a little than just some dependence on something that could easily be 100% wrong all the time. You go ahead and call me stupid and biased without even looking into Agenda 21 at all and someday when it goes into effect if you are still around maybe you will remember me and my stupidity.

The OP said to look at what you said years ago and see what has happened with it and I sure as all hell did so when I started pushing anti-Agenda 21 from knowing where it came from and what it is aimed at. Now you know that there is no such thing. I guess some right wing conspiracy theory created the website of Agenda 21, huh?
I'll grab this as an example... I'm not going to rail against you or agree with your ideas, but I will give you some steps/thoughts to consider:

Consider the source. Where did you hear about Agenda 21?
Where did your source hear it from?
How far removed is your source from the supposed original source of the idea?
Can you find the original source and read it for yourself?
Is the original source clear, well understood, and solid... or is it fuzzy, disparate, and possibly fraudulent?
Is your first source highly emotional about the issue or are they rational at discussing it?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:37 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times
Everything I saw has come to pass. Though, some may have thought, "He's just an a**." My wordy rants, my harmless banter, can enchant him...... and enchant her. My posts, while legendary, always live in my heart, My horse, however, is in front of his cart. Facts, what facts? I fight fever with fancy, that is when I have a few minutes and not reading Tom Clancy. "Why does he do it?, the gallery mulls..... "Why, I come for the trolling, and stay for the lulz."

Old 02-21-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Deranged ideas and conspiracy theories always are those that fail to agree with the thinking of at least a few people. Of course, when I post things that I admit come from opinion pieces those who don't accept them just call me stupid and go on their merry way. I love getting those people excited and often post those things at them knowing how they will react. Damn it it is so much fun.
True... and considering the amount of conspiracy theories out there, the odds that a few of them have at least a grain of truth to them is certainly likely... but are those few grains of truth worthy of the energy used to propel such a large amount of ideas that come across to the general public as deranged rants?

Side note, your last couple of sentences almost seem like you admit to being a troll and enjoy it. I'm not really sure what good that accomplishes though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
One mans truth is another mans lie. That just the way it is. Bridging over a gap requires the two sides to come together. Some people just cant get past their differences.
True... but there is always a middle ground, and the world is not black and white. Surely these two can see that they have common ground that they can agree on and compromise.

Quote:
I think they can. Many people become uncivil because they may feel it is the next step if things do not work as they think it needs to. To many throwing tea out the ships was uncivil and irrational. I suppose it depends if those being uncivil are on your side of the issue or not to lable them rational or irrational. Take care.
You do have a bit of a point here... in that on occasion, performing an uncivil and irrational stunt can be a net positive such as with the Boston Tea Party.

On the other hand, it can also be a net negative such as with Kristallnacht.

I suppose here one has to gauge how often such an event is a net positive versus a net negative and if such an event is worth the gamble.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:40 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I haven't even clicked on that thread.
Me, either. But airplane engines do create exhaust in the lower reaches of the stratosphere, so in my mind, it's a possibility. Stuff up that high, especially in the form of micro-droplets, can stay up there a long time.

Even so, I have pretty strong faith in Mother Nature's ability to scrub herself clean one way or another. She's also quite indifferent to how we consider ourselves special.

As for me, I always read twice, post once. It's just the same as cutting a 2x4.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
True to a point, but I do believe people get swept up in some of the more fantasyland ideas that they don't even really step back to take a moment to think about what they are saying. When something is so out there and stirs up a lot of emotion within someone who doesn't have a full understanding of the issue, then I believe it can lead to people not realizing what they are posting.
So they do that!? Let them. That is what makes life interesting when you see such variety of how people handle life and issues and discussions. Excresion is disgusting yet it is still good for fertilizer and makes great food for us humans. The same with ideas put out by others however irrational and incoherent they may look. I see it from the half full glass positive attitude. Then it is time for me to try harder to understand someone else, to reach him, etc. It take effort to do such thing, maybe you do not have the patience, I do. I suppose there is where we differ. Take care.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:50 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,141 times
Might I say that some posters here exhibit signs of:

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a psychological condition marked by a prolonged disturbance of personality function, characterized by depth and variability of moods.[n 1]
The disorder typically involves unusual levels of instability in mood and black-and-white thinking, or splitting. BPD often manifests itself in idealization and devaluation episodes and chaotic and unstable interpersonal relationships, self-image, identity, and behavior;

Splitting in BPD includes a switch between idealizing and demonizing others. This, combined with mood disturbances, can undermine relationships with family, friends, and co-workers.

Individuals with BPD can be very sensitive to the way others treat them, reacting strongly to perceived criticism or hurtfulness. Their feelings about others often shift from positive to negative, generally after a disappointment or perceived threat of losing someone. Self-image can also change rapidly from extremely positive to extremely negative.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
So they do that!? Let them. That is what makes life interesting when you see such variety of how people handle life and issues and discussions. Excresion is disgusting yet it is still good for fertilizer and makes great food for us humans. The same with ideas put out by others however irrational and incoherent they may look. I see it from the half full glass positive attitude. Then it is time for me to try harder to understand someone else, to reach him, etc. It take effort to do such thing, maybe you do not have the patience, I do. I suppose there is where we differ. Take care.
True, and a little bit is fine... but at some point if too many people are... excreting... it builds up to where there is too much... excretion.

When is it too much?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
Might I say that some posters here exhibit signs of:

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a psychological condition marked by a prolonged disturbance of personality function, characterized by depth and variability of moods.[n 1]
The disorder typically involves unusual levels of instability in mood and black-and-white thinking, or splitting. BPD often manifests itself in idealization and devaluation episodes and chaotic and unstable interpersonal relationships, self-image, identity, and behavior;

Splitting in BPD includes a switch between idealizing and demonizing others. This, combined with mood disturbances, can undermine relationships with family, friends, and co-workers.

Individuals with BPD can be very sensitive to the way others treat them, reacting strongly to perceived criticism or hurtfulness. Their feelings about others often shift from positive to negative, generally after a disappointment or perceived threat of losing someone. Self-image can also change rapidly from extremely positive to extremely negative.
Thanks for the psychological assesment. Of course you do not fall in any those categories, correct? I know I do not despite what the voices tell me. LOL!! At times humor is good. No ill intent. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies