Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 PM

30,338 posts, read 51,925,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
It's God telling us he's angry.

"Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations also of the hills moved and were shaken, because he was wroth." Psalm 18:7

"Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindful, and hast forgotten God that formed thee." Deuteronomy 32:18
My mother used to say thunder was G-d bowling, but we all (she included) knew that was just a fairy tale... same goes for "G-d's wrath" in the form of earthquakes & other natural disasters, which are simply caused by geological/meteorological episodes. Cute stories, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Easy there... I wasn't even involved in the argument, just putting on my reference librarian cap to stop the debate.

LOL! Next time slap somebody with a copy of "Robert's Rules!" You'll have to excuse me if I'm jumpy...some days on C-D it can be difficult to
stay out of the "fight or flight" conundrum.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
LOL! Next time slap somebody with a copy of "Robert's Rules!" You'll have to excuse me if I'm jumpy...some days on C-D it can be difficult to
You have no idea how many times I want to ask people if they have ever heard of "Roberts Rules", but then I remember who I'm dealing with.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 PM

30,338 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
No problemo... I get that way myself sometimes, when reading the continuous bickering on C-D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You have no idea how many times I want to ask people if they have ever heard of "Roberts Rules", but then I remember who I'm dealing with.
I think they'd revoke my library degree if I didn't know that one, LOL... but I still remember being a library intern (during grad school), and feeling awfully stupid when I asked "what's that?" at the first request for Robert's Rules. D'oh!

Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,397 times
Jesus Mother of God you made it sound like it happened just today in the thread title. I just freaked out to my dad only to read your post and find out it's the 200 year anniversary. OP, you seriously need to work on your head-lining skills.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The church records in my hometown of Sainte Genevieve, MO, go back to 1699, there is a lot of information about the quakes in them, as well as in the MO Historical Society archives.
I read all the accounts when I was in HS, I'm a geek that way, and it helped improve my French.

Sainte Genevieve is a lovely town. Those of us who live inland came from different stock and much later...most of this area had to be drained to make it suitable for farming. Always glad to meet another bibliophile.
I had two years of Latin and two of Spanish in high school...the Latin helped in nursing school.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No problemo... I get that way myself sometimes, when reading the continuous bickering on C-D.

I think they'd revoke my library degree if I didn't know that one, LOL... but I still remember being a library intern (during grad school), and feeling awfully stupid when I asked "what's that?" at the first request for Robert's Rules. D'oh!
Keep up the good fight, its an early day for me tomorrow!
Bonne nuit!

Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Sainte Genevieve is a lovely town. Those of us who live inland came from different stock and much later...most of this area had to be drained to make it suitable for farming. Always glad to meet another bibliophile.
I had two years of Latin and two of Spanish in high school...the Latin helped in nursing school.
I feel very fortunate to be able to claim Ste Gen as my hometown, and the town of my ancestors, who founded it.
The history is amazing, there is so much that has never been written down.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,992 times
Thanks Nim Chimpsky. The headline got your attention.

Now Lisbon, Portugal had a 8.5 to 9.0 freak earthquake in 1755.

The world changes in sudden unexpected bursts; what is expected never seems pan out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Jesus Mother of God you made it sound like it happened just today in the thread title. I just freaked out to my dad only to read your post and find out it's the 200 year anniversary. OP, you seriously need to work on your head-lining skills.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Everyone who lives there is aware of the fault. I grew up in NW Tennessee, and I frequently felt earthquakes, but low on the scale. A few times you might see lights moving for no reason, things like that.
They were most likely under 4.0 in magnitude. You just about have to be on top of the epicenter to feel quakes that small. Although, in areas not prepared for quakes a 4.0 quake can still cause damage. Particularly brick buildings that are not reinforced, which are all over the mid-west.

Quote:
But you can't live your life in fear. You prepare, you get knowledge on what to do when it does happen, and then you get on with your life.
Exactly right.

Quote:
The problem is the buildings in the area, and the bridges that are already in disrepair. One of the major natural gas pipelines runs from Memphis to Arkansas, what happens if that goes up? Buildings will crumble, etc.

My family lived in central TN and were moving their way west when the quake hit the first time. The ground moved like water, people lived in tents, and the Mississippi river seemed to run backwards.

I grew up fishing on Reelfoot lake.

Just part of life, nothing to freak about being 200 years. People have been predicting another earthquake since the 80's.
During the 8.0 magnitude Paxson quake of 2002 the Trans-Alaska Pipeline was only a few miles from the epicenter. The 48" diameter pipe moved several feet, but did not break. It was designed to handle up to an 8.5 quake.

The mid-west does not get enough large quakes to warrant changes in building codes. Which means that when a large quake (6.0 or greater) does hit the area it will cause more damage than a similar magnitude quake on the west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies