Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
OWS - costing cities and towns millions and now lives.
The Federal Reserve's 'breathtaking' $7.7 trillion bank bailout

The Federal Reserve's 'breathtaking' $7.7 trillion bank bailout - The Week

The total military defense/offense budget over a trillion a year.

Cops attacking, denying constitutional rights and illegally arresting peaceful U.S. citizens in towns across the country is what is costing cities and towns millions and now lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:20 AM

46,263 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Hop, skip, and a jump to OWS being called the Occupy With Satan movement.
Nope, but if you take your blinders off, you will see that they have violated laws even after being asked to leave. But I guess breaking the law is a first amendment law, right?

They have cost the tax payers millions of dollars, "just because." Nothing more nothing less.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-25-2012 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-27-2012, 02:02 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
It is painfully obvious you don't know what you're talking about. The police preparing to provide mutual aid for an event somewhere else doesn't mean they are not covering their own streets. They were still providing basic patrol.

The police did NOT cause the death, the OWS protest did NOT cause the death. The trespasser DID cause the death.

Blaming others for the actions of others is childish.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know that part of the basis of the English word 'Liberal' is from the latin word, 'liber', that means two things. and one of them is 'child'. Sort of sums up the OWS'ers.

I regret having police babysitting children, instead of being fully on patrol. It is not their fault, though I do believe that OWS'ers should be funding additional police support to cover the expenses.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:11 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know that part of the basis of the English word 'Liberal' is from the latin word, 'liber', that means two things. and one of them is 'child'. Sort of sums up the OWS'ers.
Nope. From the Oxford English Dictionary:

" Brit. /ˈlɪb(ə)rəl/ , /ˈlɪb(ə)rl̩/ , U.S. /ˈlɪb(ə)rəl/ Forms: ME leberall, ME leberalle, ME liberales (modifying a plural noun), ME liberalule (transmission error), ME libral, ME lyberalle, ME–15 lyberal, ME–15 lyberall, ME–16 liberall, ME–16 liberalle, ME– liberal; Sc. pre-17 leberale, pre-17 libberall, pre-17 liberaill, pre-17 liberale, pre-17 liberalis (modifying a plural noun), pre-17 liberall, pre-17 lyberall, pre-17 17– liberal. (Show Less)
Etymology: < Anglo-Norman and Middle French liberal (French libéral ) free in giving, generous, benevolent, magnanimous (12th cent. in Old French), suitable for a free or noble person (c1200; especially of studies, education, arts, professions), independent, unconstrained (14th cent.), (of the will) free (14th cent.), of noble birth (14th cent.), (with reference to the ancient world) free, not servile (late 14th cent.), speaking freely (c1480) and its etymon classical Latin līberālis of or relating to a free man, worthy or typical of a free man (especially of studies, education, arts, professions), worthy of a free man in personal appearance, fine, noble, magnanimous, obliging, free in giving, generous, done or provided on a generous scale, lavish < līber free (perhaps < the same Italic base as Paelignian loufir , Faliscan loferta (although the vocalism is problematic) < the same Indo-European base as ancient Greek ἐλεύθερος : see eleuthero- comb. form) + -ālis -al suffix1. Compare Old Occitan liberal , Catalan liberal (14th cent.), Spanish liberal (13th cent.), Portuguese liberal (14th cent.), Italian liberale (13th cent.). Compare liberal arts n., liberally adv., liberality n., liberalness n.In political use (see senses A. 5, B. 3 and also A. 4, B. 4) ultimately after French libéral favouring individual liberties, especially political liberty (1750; 2nd half of 18th cent. as noun in this sense); this sense probably developed in French from the sense ‘generous’. Similar uses, as adjective and noun, are found in Spanish and Italian in the early 19th cent. (compare sense B. 3a and note at sense B. 3b)."

Where exactly is the Latin liberi in this etymology? Nowhere.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Nope. From the Oxford English Dictionary:

" Brit. /ˈlɪb(ə)rəl/ , /ˈlɪb(ə)rl̩/ , U.S. /ˈlɪb(ə)rəl/ Forms: ME leberall, ME leberalle, ME liberales (modifying a plural noun), ME liberalule (transmission error), ME libral, ME lyberalle, ME–15 lyberal, ME–15 lyberall, ME–16 liberall, ME–16 liberalle, ME– liberal; Sc. pre-17 leberale, pre-17 libberall, pre-17 liberaill, pre-17 liberale, pre-17 liberalis (modifying a plural noun), pre-17 liberall, pre-17 lyberall, pre-17 17– liberal. (Show Less)
Etymology: < Anglo-Norman and Middle French liberal (French libéral ) free in giving, generous, benevolent, magnanimous (12th cent. in Old French), suitable for a free or noble person (c1200; especially of studies, education, arts, professions), independent, unconstrained (14th cent.), (of the will) free (14th cent.), of noble birth (14th cent.), (with reference to the ancient world) free, not servile (late 14th cent.), speaking freely (c1480) and its etymon classical Latin līberālis of or relating to a free man, worthy or typical of a free man (especially of studies, education, arts, professions), worthy of a free man in personal appearance, fine, noble, magnanimous, obliging, free in giving, generous, done or provided on a generous scale, lavish < līber free (perhaps < the same Italic base as Paelignian loufir , Faliscan loferta (although the vocalism is problematic) < the same Indo-European base as ancient Greek ἐλεύθερος : see eleuthero- comb. form) + -ālis -al suffix1. Compare Old Occitan liberal , Catalan liberal (14th cent.), Spanish liberal (13th cent.), Portuguese liberal (14th cent.), Italian liberale (13th cent.). Compare liberal arts n., liberally adv., liberality n., liberalness n.In political use (see senses A. 5, B. 3 and also A. 4, B. 4) ultimately after French libéral favouring individual liberties, especially political liberty (1750; 2nd half of 18th cent. as noun in this sense); this sense probably developed in French from the sense ‘generous’. Similar uses, as adjective and noun, are found in Spanish and Italian in the early 19th cent. (compare sense B. 3a and note at sense B. 3b)."

Where exactly is the Latin liberi in this etymology? Nowhere.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's see; 12th century, 14th century... really late in the game here...

Having studied latin for decades, and now have the SO's daughter grilling me on it:

Liberi is either:

the nominative/vocative plural of the word for "children"
the masculine or neuter genitive singular of the adjective meaning "free"
the masculine nominative/vocative plural of the adjective meaning "free"

As such it means:
"children" (sentence subject) or "O children!"
"of the free <male person or other masculine or neuter noun>"
"the free <male persons or other masculine plural noun>" (sentence subject) or "O free <ditto>!"
The derivative of the word means either 'free', or 'child'.

Straight Latin. Easy one.

Case \ Gender M. F. N. MM. FF. NN.
nominative līber lībera līberum līberī līberae lībera
genitive līberī līberae līberī līberōrum līberārum līberōrum
dative līberō līberae līberō līberīs līberīs līberīs
accusative līberum līberam līberum līberōs līberās lībera
ablative līberō līberā līberō līberīs līberīs līberīs
vocative līber lībera līberum līberī līberae lībera

Geez.... and I am a hard-core science major... we didn't even have to know how to spell (but partial differential equations were important). You learn latin starting in 7th grade (assuming you went to a good school).

(But I do agree that liberals are nothing more than children).

The word 'liberal' is directly derived from the Latin word 'Liberalis'.

Now want to talk about iambic pentameter or what happens when you cross polysilicon with N-diffusion?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Let's see; 12th century, 14th century... really late in the game here...

Having studied latin for decades, and now have the SO's daughter grilling me on it:

Liberi is either:

the nominative/vocative plural of the word for "children"
the masculine or neuter genitive singular of the adjective meaning "free"
the masculine nominative/vocative plural of the adjective meaning "free"

As such it means:
"children" (sentence subject) or "O children!"
"of the free <male person or other masculine or neuter noun>"
"the free <male persons or other masculine plural noun>" (sentence subject) or "O free <ditto>!"
The derivative of the word means either 'free', or 'child'.

Straight Latin. Easy one.

Case \ Gender M. F. N. MM. FF. NN.
nominative līber lībera līberum līberī līberae lībera
genitive līberī līberae līberī līberōrum līberārum līberōrum
dative līberō līberae līberō līberīs līberīs līberīs
accusative līberum līberam līberum līberōs līberās lībera
ablative līberō līberā līberō līberīs līberīs līberīs
vocative līber lībera līberum līberī līberae lībera

Geez.... and I am a hard-core science major... we didn't even have to know how to spell (but partial differential equations were important). You learn latin starting in 7th grade (assuming you went to a good school).

(But I do agree that liberals are nothing more than children).

The word 'liberal' is directly derived from the Latin word 'Liberalis'.

Now want to talk about iambic pentameter or what happens when you cross polysilicon with N-diffusion?
*LOL* Yeah, well I'll put my Latin degree up against your hobby anytime. The fact is is that any word with liber in it does not mean that it etymologically originates from any and all words that came before it that had liber in it. Meaning also factors into how etymology works.

I'm sure that you thought that you could get away with your claims about our modern use of liberal etymologically stemming from the Latin liberi, but sorry it isn't true. But I'm glad that you had an opportunity to practice your declensions. And if you'd like to talk about meter, I'd like to suggest that we start with dactylic hexameter and work our way forward from there. Polysilicon with N-diffusion? No interest or knowledge. But if you'd like to talk programming languages, I'm your gal.

Last edited by helenejen; 02-28-2012 at 08:36 AM..

Old 02-28-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
*LOL* Yeah, well I'll put my Latin degree up against your hobby anytime. The fact is is that any word with liber in it does not mean that it etymologically originates from any and all words that came before it that had liber in it. Meaning also factors into how etymology works.

I'm sure that you thought that you could get away with your claims about our modern use of liberal etymologically stemming from the Latin liberi, but sorry it isn't true. But I'm glad that you had an opportunity to practice your declensions. And if you'd like to talk about meter, I'd like to suggest that we start with dactylic hexameter and work our way forward from there. Polysilicon with N-diffusion? No interest or knowledge. But if you'd like to talk programming languages, I'm your gal.

Woo Hoo! Programming languages.... Where should we start?

Pick a language... I am game.. I was rather bored last week, so I wrote a less-than-one-page program that would solve any Sudoku problem... (I love NP-complete problems).

(If you like programming languages, you should know about polysilicon with N-diffusion, as that is what executes them).

Quote:"Yeah, well I'll put my Latin degree up against your hobby anytime."

Please do. A Latin degree plus $5 will get you a Starbucks coffee. My degrees (or hobby, as you state) got me to retire at 40. (I have 17 hobbies, the current ones are a sound studio, and designing/building an ice boat).

Old 02-28-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Woo Hoo! Programming languages.... Where should we start?

Pick a language... I am game.. I was rather bored last week, so I wrote a less-than-one-page program that would solve any Sudoku problem... (I love NP-complete problems).

(If you like programming languages, you should know about polysilicon with N-diffusion, as that is what executes them).
Ok, you are much more advanced than I am. I'll give you that. But why would you write that Sudoku program? That's not fun. I mean program for fun, yes. But don't ruin Sudoku!

Quote:
Quote:"Yeah, well I'll put my Latin degree up against your hobby anytime."

Please do. A Latin degree plus $5 will get you a Starbucks coffee.
Tell me about it. I decided to leave the Classics Ph.D. program at Northwestern because no one was getting jobs. Granted I think the market has improved somewhat since then, but still.

Quote:
My degrees (or hobby, as you state) got me to retire at 40.
When I said "your hobby" I was referencing your Latin. And congrats on retiring at 40! I'll have my job until I die, I hope. I can't imagine not doing it.

Quote:
(I have 17 hobbies, the current ones are a sound studio, and designing/building an ice boat).
Do you have time for an 18th? Etymology might be something to add to your list.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Ok, you are much more advanced than I am. I'll give you that. But why would you write that Sudoku program? That's not fun. I mean program for fun, yes. But don't ruin Sudoku!

I did it because it was an intellectual challenge, that I was not sure I could solve. But in the end, it was rewarding. (BTW, it will solve a 9x9 Sudoku in milliseconds). A simple game tree algorithm.

Tell me about it. I decided to leave the Classics Ph.D. program at Northwestern because no one was getting jobs. Granted I think the market has improved somewhat since then, but still.

Interesting. I have a direct relative that got a PhD at Northwestern... in Physics... ended up at Cornell.

When I said "your hobby" I was referencing your Latin. And congrats on retiring at 40! I'll have my job until I die, I hope. I can't imagine not doing it.

I am going back to work, as retirement is not what it is all cracked up to be. I am a chronic workaholic. Plus there are too many things to invent or discover for me to quit. Looks like medical products again for me.

Do you have time for an 18th? Etymology might be something to add to your list.

I just did the language stuff because I had a mom that was an English teacher. I don't think she ever would have expected me to get a bumper sticker that said "Sona si latine loqueris"
Mine in red.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Mine in red.
*LOL* If I ever put a bumper sticker on my car, that would be it!!!!

And yes, someone with 17 hobbies could probably use a job. Different kind of stimulation. And medical products? No wonder you could retire at 40!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies