Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 09:48 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
As has been posted before that is one or two stations in downtown L.A. The average price in this area is just over $4. You have picked a sensationalist story to highlight the worst case scenario... why don't you focus on the real story and the real average price? Oh yeah - then you couldn't bash Obama.
The "real" story is gas prices are rising, significantly. The $5/gas was highlighted because RD said there was no $5/gal gas in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
No ... I live 100 miles south of Los Angeles.

What you aren't mentioning, is that these PARTICULAR gas stations with $5/gal gas are ALWAYS significantly higher than average Los Angeles gas stations because they are located near tourist attractions.

As I mentioned, YOU claimed $5/gas was no where to be found in CA. You're wrong, again, as usual.

Hmmm....

Quote:
The highest gas prices in Los Angeles were at the Shell station on West Olympic Boulevard and Fairfax Avenue with the cost of regular gas at $4.93 a gallon and premium gas at $5.09 a gallon, according to gasbuddy.com.

The No. 2 spot belonged to the Mobile gas station on South Hacienda Boulevard and Gate Avenue in Hacienda Heights with $4.87 a gallon for regular gas and $4.99 a gallon for premium.
Did Disneyland move to Olympic & Fairfax?

Gas stations located right near major tourist attractions can charge much higher prices than typical LA gas stations.

What tourist attractions are in Hacienda Heights?

Stop while you're way behind. It is what it is and no amount of spin can change that.

According to all the experts, its going to get even worse.

Trying to "shock" people with these specific gas station prices is absolutely ridiculous!

Oh, those terrible news stations, trying to shock the poor consumer! How dare they.

The same holds true for the $6 gas prices in Florida which you and others also mentioned. Those gas stations are located near Disney World, another tourist attraction, so prices there are always much higher.

The only gas prices that matter are AVERAGE prices in any given location.

And currently, the AVERAGE price for regular gas in Los Angeles is currently 4.18 according to GasBuddy.com
$4.18/gal and rising.

Tell the people that live in these areas the only price that matters is the average.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business...ews-broadcast/

Oh, according to the report above, Alaska is seeing $6/gal. What tourist attraction is in Alaska?

Oh, while they were on the air on ABCNews, the price went up to $5.09...in downtown LA. What tourist attraction is in downtown LA?

Thoroughly debunked spin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,328 times
off shore is where the oil is. never mind land, you dot the all of colorado with oil rigs never get as much oil as there is off shore,

Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Actually Gysmo... southern Indiana does have quite a bit of natural gas (and areas down near Vanderburgh, Gibson, Knox Counties used to have quite a bit of oil production. My understanding was that it had become too expensive to drill there, but perhaps that has changed....
i was exaggerating a bit you can find oil in just about every state but no comparison to how much we can get with off shore drilling

Old 02-22-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
U.S. on pace of becoming first in fuel export. not oil. Americans are using less fuel so they are able to export it to other nations.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:33 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The "real" story is gas prices are rising, significantly. The $5/gas was highlighted because RD said there was no $5/gal gas in CA.
WHEN did I state that there was NO $5/gal gas in CA????

Please show me where I said that?

I simply stated that here in San Diego gas is around $3.99 a gallon ... which is far from the $5 you are implying as the typical gas price of California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050
No ... I live 100 miles south of Los Angeles.

What you aren't mentioning, is that these PARTICULAR gas stations with $5/gal gas are ALWAYS significantly higher than average Los Angeles gas stations because they are located near tourist attractions.

As I mentioned, YOU claimed $5/gas was no where to be found in CA. You're wrong, again, as usual.

Hmmm....

Please show me WHERE I STATED that there was NO $5 gallon gas anywhere in CA?

Making false accusations is not helping your credibility in this thread!

Average prices in San Diego and Los Angeles are in the low $4 range. THAT is the only thing that matters.

Not the few "selected" gas stations you are trying to use as examples ... the ones whose prices are ALWAYS MUCH HIGHER than the rest.

Quote:
The highest gas prices in Los Angeles were at the Shell station on West Olympic Boulevard and Fairfax Avenue with the cost of regular gas at $4.93 a gallon and premium gas at $5.09 a gallon, according to gasbuddy.com.

The No. 2 spot belonged to the Mobile gas station on South Hacienda Boulevard and Gate Avenue in Hacienda Heights with $4.87 a gallon for regular gas and $4.99 a gallon for premium.
Did Disneyland move to Olympic & Fairfax?

No ... but LA LIVE (home to Staples Center, LA Convention Center, Nokia Theatre, Grammy Museum, etc) is right at this location !!!

Gas stations located right near major tourist attractions can charge much higher prices than typical LA gas stations.

What tourist attractions are in Hacienda Heights?

There is no one single reason why gas stations charge higher prices. But gas stations located near tourist attractions will often charge much higher prices.

Stop while you're way behind. It is what it is and no amount of spin can change that.

According to all the experts, its going to get even worse.

Trying to "shock" people with these specific gas station prices is absolutely ridiculous!

Oh, those terrible news stations, trying to shock the poor consumer! How dare they.

Focusing attention on specific gas stations which ALREADY were charging the highest prices in Los Angeles, and then showing them as if they are the "NORM" is misleading, and does nothing but provide "shock" entertainment for the sake of entertainment.

The same holds true for the $6 gas prices in Florida which you and others also mentioned. Those gas stations are located near Disney World, another tourist attraction, so prices there are always much higher.

The only gas prices that matter are AVERAGE prices in any given location.

And currently, the AVERAGE price for regular gas in Los Angeles is currently 4.18 according to GasBuddy.com
Quote:
$4.18/gal and rising.

Tell the people that live in these areas the only price that matters is the average.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business...ews-broadcast/

Oh, according to the report above, Alaska is seeing $6/gal. What tourist attraction is in Alaska?

Oh, while they were on the air on ABCNews, the price went up to $5.09...in downtown LA. What tourist attraction is in downtown LA?

Thoroughly debunked spin.
Once again .... downtown LA is home to LA LIVE. It's where they hold major concerts, sports events, The Grammy Awards, and lots of other attractions. It is located right on W. Olympic Blvd.

Being located next to tourist attractions is not THE ONLY reason gas stations charge higher prices. But it is a REASON.

I know this for fact, since I live in the heart of a major vacation city, and I know which gas stations charge the highest prices.

The only area in Alaska charging $6 gal is Bethel, which is a small city on the west coast, with only one paved road. The city is only accessible by air and river. It's probably very difficult to transport gas to this region, which is likely the main reason why gas prices in Bethel are very high.

After Bethel, the next highest price in Alaska drops down to $4.75.

http://www.alaskagasprices.com/GasPriceSearch.aspx

Average gas prices in Alaska are currently $4.06, which is even LESS than Los Angeles.

Last edited by RD5050; 02-22-2012 at 11:24 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,867 times
Cant Obama just bow down to some Saudi king again to get some help?

Old 02-22-2012, 11:22 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Cant Obama just bow down to some Saudi king again to get some help?
I think he already tried that.

Last I checked (on Monday), prices here were $4.09 for regular and $4.29 for premium.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
WHEN did I state that there was NO $5/gal gas in CA????

Please show me where I said that?
Here...

Quote:
Sorry ... but here in San Diego, it's still around $3.99 / gal for unleaded regular at the local Arco station.

It's no where near the $5 / gal you are trying to "shock" people with.
Who knew you were just talking about the SD area?

I doubt you were, considering the article I posted SAID RIGHT THERE that gas prices were bordering $5/gal in places other than SD.

Quote:
I simply stated that here in San Diego gas is around $3.99 a gallon ... which is far from the $5 you are implying as the typical gas price of California.
No one is implying that's the average price, but some are implying $5/gas doesn't exist.

Same with the "disneyland" excuse. Obviously, in places NOT near tourist attractions, gas is bordering $5.

Really, stop while you're behind.

But STILL, the fact remains, we have never seen gas prices this high at this time of the year, which was in the OP.

Last edited by sanrene; 02-23-2012 at 06:18 AM..

Old 02-23-2012, 06:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
So these higher gas prices are a result of the President telling private industry (Oil companies) to raise their prices? If so he must have also been talking to a lot of the food producers that supply my local supermarket as all their prices are up as well..

Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So these higher gas prices are a result of the President telling private industry (Oil companies) to raise their prices? If so he must have also been talking to a lot of the food producers that supply my local supermarket as all their prices are up as well..
Obama is printing fake money is one of the reason for higher prices over all. and they're still printing money prices will continue to go up. just like when the peanut man was the president, Obama is doing the same stupid thing that jimmy carter did!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies