Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:54 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Why? As president he is supposed to attend such events as well, and while there he might as well participate. What job could he have done during those 15 seconds he sang a few words? He is not a king ruling everything on his own, he has an army of aides doing most of the work for him all the time. And when something important happens, one of them would have come to him and told him in the ear, just like on 9/11 when Bush was spending some time at an event with children. A president doesn't cease to be human just because they get elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 05:17 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,164,319 times
He has no talent as a singer, nor the Knowledge as a President. Maybe he could be a Clown in a circus...

Old 02-25-2012, 05:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Why do we put up with this loser?
Because he was voted in by the majority of American voters, Come November you'll have your chance at voting him out and your candidate of choice in, its all about majority rules.
As for his singing? not bad.
As for clowns and circuses ? check out any GOP debate.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:41 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, sorry, to me Blues today totally lacks credibility. To me it's just an irritating musical ritual, all that yelling and baby this baby that crap gets on my nerves. And yes, I don't like rock, either. I love some Jazz, though, but most of it has nothing to do with Blues anymore, if it ever did.

Indeed, BB King and many of those other Blues artists are like dinosaurs, grandgranddaddies still singing about how their baby left them and stuff, as if they were in their 20s. I like what the singer of Toto said in an interview years ago, he said they decided not to go on tour anymore because many of their songs had lyrics that are just ridiculous for men his age (he was in his 40s when he said that) to sing.
You dont know very much about music, do you?
Pity.
Critiquing a whole genre one knows nothing about makes you look.....well, you know.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You dont know very much about music, do you?
Pity.
Critiquing a whole genre one knows nothing about makes you look.....well, you know.
What is there to know? I listen to the music and the lyrics and that is all I need to know in order to make my judgement... I am not saying 100% of Blues music is crap, there are always exceptions in any genre. But most of it seems cheap to me. The best Blues songs are thoughtful and melancholic songs by non-Blues artists in my view
Let's just agree to disagree, we are off-topic anyway. If you wish, let's go to the music forum...

Old 02-25-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
What is there to know? I listen to the music and the lyrics and that is all I need to know in order to make my judgement... I am not saying 100% of Blues music is crap, there are always exceptions in any genre. But most of it seems cheap to me. The best Blues songs are thoughtful and melancholic songs by non-Blues artists in my view
Let's just agree to disagree, we are off-topic anyway. If you wish, let's go to the music forum...
I know we are off-topic, and this is the last I am going to post to you on this matter.
The blues is THE tipping point for every form of modern popular music, being that my bachelors is in music, its important that people understand what it is, and where it came from in order to put it in the correct context.
I dont care if you like it, but to just dismiss it as "cheap" means you dont understand the history of the genre, which is just sad, in my opinion.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I know we are off-topic, and this is the last I am going to post to you on this matter.
The blues is THE tipping point for every form of modern popular music, being that my bachelors is in music, its important that people understand what it is, and where it came from in order to put it in the correct context.
I dont care if you like it, but to just dismiss it as "cheap" means you dont understand the history of the genre, which is just sad, in my opinion.
As I said, I don't care about its history, I take it for what it is today, and I find it cheap and irritating, like most pop music as well...
I am a musician myself, all I care about is what music sounds like to me, not what its roots were decades or centuries ago. Same applies to classical music, 95% of it just doesn't appeal to me, sounds boring, mediocre, and constructed.

And to a certain extent that is also why I think Obama would not be a good Blues singer, he is, like me, too analytic and cool for it. He would only copy and try to deliver what he knows is expected of a Blues singer, not produce authentic music himself. And surprise, we are back on topic again

Old 02-25-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
As I said, I don't care about its history, I take it for what it is today, and I find it cheap and irritating, like most pop music as well...
I am a musician myself, all I care about is what music sounds like to me, not what its roots were decades or centuries ago. Same applies to classical music, 95% of it just doesn't appeal to me, sounds boring, mediocre, and constructed.

And to a certain extent that is also why I think Obama would not be a good Blues singer, he is, like me, too analytic and cool for it. He would only copy and try to deliver what he knows is expected of a Blues singer, not produce authentic music himself. And surprise, we are back on topic again
Without understanding the history and influences, all any musician is doing is go over the same old ground that has been trod by better feet than theirs.
Anything you think Obama might bring forth as a musician is purely speculation on your part, and not even particularly educated speculation at that.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Without understanding the history and influences, all any musician is doing is go over the same old ground that has been trod by better feet than theirs.
Anything you think Obama might bring forth as a musician is purely speculation on your part, and not even particularly educated speculation at that.
That would mean that most Blues musicians have no clue of the history, either, as it all sounds the same somehow, hardly anything original and new. That happens to most genres after some time. So people are mostly copying and recycling old stuff and ways. And it shows...

Regarding Obama, I have watched both videos of his recent music mini performances, and they have confirmed what I think. He is simply emulating known artists and styles in an analytic way.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
That would mean that most Blues musicians have no clue of the history, either, as it all sounds the same somehow, hardly anything original and new. That happens to most genres after some time. So people are mostly copying and recycling old stuff and ways. And it shows...

Regarding Obama, I have watched both videos of his recent music mini performances, and they have confirmed what I think. He is simply emulating known artists and styles in an analytic way.
All music gets influenced from something that came before.
Who were the British Invasion musicians heavily influenced by?
Elvis?
Just 2 name 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies