Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:01 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
So we're not allowed to have a self interest? They harbored Bin Ladin. They still continue to harbor his associates who plot against us.
Again.......we created the Bin Ladens of this world by sticking our nose into the business of the Middle East back with Eisenhower. Since then we have been trying to tell other countries what to do. There was no threat before then and once the leader in power decided he didn't want a western influence in his country the CIS was sent and there was no more trusting Americans.

For some reason everything has to be our way. I guarantee if we pulled every military item out of the Middle East and left well enough alone we would be much safer than we are right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:02 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Muslims who can't cope with "unbelievers" are lunatics and should be treated as such. What if they start arguing that NO ONE anywhere should be allowed to burn the koran? What if they start arguing that they then have the right to kill people who do?

It's a book. THAT'S ALL. It wasn't a person. These nuts killed people because someone somewhere burned a collection of paper. That's crazy and should be viewed as such by our highest elected official.
Well, Afghans are actually very little interested in the rest of the world. They don't care what people in the US do.
And I supported those caricatures on Mohammed years ago, they were funny. I also have zero respect for that book and religion, but I can't go to a Muslim country and show it.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:04 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
So we should just ignore sexism and people who attempt to kill us?
YES! It's not our country or our job to police the world. People want to kill us because we MEDDLE!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The burnings were not intentional. Burn pits are the only way to dispose of things not wanted or needed within a military base....so its not surprising to me that these Korans were accidently tossed in the incinerator.

You have to have spent time on a military base in a Middle Eastern war zone to understand that its litte more than controlled chaos there. I've spent time on at least 8 military bases in the Middle East, so I can vouch for my comments.

I don't fault anyone, including the President, for apologizing. Nor do I fault those who accidentally disposed of the Korans.

Thanks for the perspective. I was wondering how this could have happened but what you say makes perfect sense.
Obviously another cultural difference since we regard burning as a proper, respectful disposal method for flags and such and they clearly don't see things the same way.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:05 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No answer for where the Constitution tasks us with running other governments, eh?

Do you also decry the sexism common in Israel?

And just WHAT people tried to kill us?
So we should just ignore other governments and people who threaten us? The Taliban plotted 9/11. The Afghanis harbor them. Do you deny this?

What does Israel have to do with any of this? I can guarantee you that if a group of Americans burned the torah the Israelis would call them nuts. They would not kill people because of it. Any killers would be brought to justice.

Why do think otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
You live in a world where one has to be on one side or another. Either you support antagonzing extremists and startign countless wars, or you are a supporter of terrorist. Sounds an awful like G.W. Bush, either you are with us or against us. How about I think Bush and the Taliban are crazy. Leave me out of your holy wars. If an American citizen decides to burn a flag and people riot, he should not be punished. If an active duty American solider does it, different story
I am on the side of not apologizing to psychotic religious lunatics who kill people because someone somewhere burned a book. You should be too. Extremists should jailed, not allowed to have a say in the public square let alone an apology from America's leading representative.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:07 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
The apology counters the belief that America is waging a religious war on Islam.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
I am on the side of not apologizing to psychotic religious lunatics who kill people because someone somewhere burned a book. You should be too. Extremists should jailed, not allowed to have a say in the public square let alone an apology from America's leading representative.
I think Obama was apologizing to all Muslims, not just the extremists. Your hatred of Muslims has made you believe that all Muslims are violent extremists. By the way, being extremist alone is not grounds for imprisonment in my opinion. As long as you follow the law, you have every right to crazy views.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Again.......we created the Bin Ladens of this world by sticking our nose into the business of the Middle East back with Eisenhower. Since then we have been trying to tell other countries what to do. There was no threat before then and once the leader in power decided he didn't want a western influence in his country the CIS was sent and there was no more trusting Americans.

For some reason everything has to be our way. I guarantee if we pulled every military item out of the Middle East and left well enough alone we would be much safer than we are right now.
Oh we did not. Muslims are grown ups not children who cannot be trusted. Muslims feel free to tell the rest of the world what to do and how to live our lives. They cannot complain when we do do the same. If we pulled out and left they would still be there and here.

You are naive and highly ignorant of history if you believe otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, Afghans are actually very little interested in the rest of the world. They don't care what people in the US do.
And I supported those caricatures on Mohammed years ago, they were funny. I also have zero respect for that book and religion, but I can't go to a Muslim country and show it.
Clearly they do care very much what people in the US do.

Respect for Muslims means treating them like adults instead of children. It means that if we burn a book and they kill people over it we tell them they are wrong.

Do you believe otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
YES! It's not our country or our job to police the world. People want to kill us because we MEDDLE!
Nonsense. They want to kill us because we are not Muslims and not wearing burkas or admiring a 6th century pedophile.

You are naive if you believe otherwise.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
this whole thing is blown way out of proportion

1. qurans were not intentially burnt
2. this was part of the cleaning/ closing down process, when a burn barrel got rid of a lot of junk, and paperwork
3. during this process a cabinate containing qurans, and bibles ,and other selfservice lititure was emptied and the contents burnt

Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Geez...now issuing an apology is the equivalent of heresy. Damn. You wanna occupy a nation, then pretend that you can do whatever you feel like doing in their country while trying to win hearts and minds?

SMH...nevermind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies