Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Two of our soldiers were murdered. Not killed in action. Not blown up by a roadside bomb. Murdered. It should be personal for all Americans.
When our soldiers were murdered in Lebanon, Reagan pulled us out. And that was a hell of a lot more than 2 people.

Kitchen/Heat. If you want to be an occupier, death goes along with the territory. You don't want death, then leave. But don't stay and talk about being "personal for all Americans." That's ludicrous.

No, what's personal to me is wasting hundreds of billions on a backwards society that doesn't want you there in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Only for those who don't hate USA and it's military service members. They want us out, then withdraw and leave them at the mercy of the Taliban then ignore their cries for help.
Oh lord.

Chill with the "hate America/hate soldiers" nonsense.

No one is under any obligation to support a stupid ass war just because you do. You guys have tossed the patriotism card around so much that it's meaningless now.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:33 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
and people in America riot, chant kill all Muslims and then kill people because of it . . . does the president of Afghanistan owe the American people an apology?

Why not?

Americans respect the American flag. They've died for it. It represents our country.

Or maybe . . . just MAYBE . . . the flag like the koran is the piece of paper and maybe . . . just MAYBE the flag is only an idea and ideas can either survive or they can die.

I swear I almost want to wrap a koran and a torah in an American flag with a communion wafer and then drape it in a gay rights flag and then set the whole thing on fire just to burn everyone's sacred cow and be done with it.

That's your opinion of what should be, not what is. I happen to agree that books, flags, etc should not be the cause of violence and death. I don't believe any books are sacred to the point that they are worth killing over. But we are foreigners in a land where they think differently, and for practical reasons we ought to be sensitive to what's of high importance to them, even if we think it should be no big deal.

Perhaps you think it should be ok to poke a bear with a stick, since a little stick can't really injure the bear, so why should the bear complain?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Don't tell me, tell our Commander in Chief, President Obama, who at one point had been trying to extend the time our troops remained in Afghanistan.
I'd love to tell him. Problem is, his would be competitor from the Republican side is EVEN MORE enamored of this war.

So it doesn't leave me much choice...does it?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:34 PM

994 posts, read 724,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Leave their country then. But don't be an occupier and insist that you can do anything you want to do.

They don't want people burning the Koran on their soil. If you do, they're gonna get pissed. Like...you know that going in. So if you can't fathom such a custom, then don't go there.

Why are you guys making this so hard when it's really a simple thing?
Maybe because it really isn't a simple thing. You're misrepresenting the situation. "Gee, you knew going in they'd kill you if you burned the book, then you burned the book, and they killed you so what do you expect?"

Not quite. It was an accident, announced as an accident, and apologized for BEFORE the riots started.

Also, from the Guardian:

In April 2011, when news that a US pastor in Florida had burned a Qur'an reached Afghanistan, seven foreign UN workers and at least 13 Afghans were killed in protests that raged for several days.

I didn't realize Florida was Afghan soil. So the "it's so simple, we asked for it" stuff doesn't wash.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:36 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Quote:
and people in America riot, chant kill all Muslims and then kill people because of it . . . does the president of Afghanistan owe the American people an apology?

Why not?

Americans respect the American flag. They've died for it. It represents our country.

Or maybe . . . just MAYBE . . . the flag like the koran is the piece of paper and maybe . . . just MAYBE the flag is only an idea and ideas can either survive or they can die.

I swear I almost want to wrap a koran and a torah in an American flag with a communion wafer and then drape it in a gay rights flag and then set the whole thing on fire just to burn everyone's sacred cow and be done with it.
When you get some time between the hate and BS you've been posting today could you let me know how blissful ignorance really is?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Maybe because it really isn't a simple thing. You're misrepresenting the situation. "Gee, you knew going in they'd kill you if you burned the book, then you burned the book, and they killed you so what do you expect?"

Not quite. It was an accident, announced as an accident, and apologized for BEFORE the riots started.

Also, from the Guardian:

In April 2011, when news that a US pastor in Florida had burned a Qur'an reached Afghanistan, seven foreign UN workers and at least 13 Afghans were killed in protests that raged for several days.

I didn't realize Florida was Afghan soil. So the "it's so simple, we asked for it" stuff doesn't wash.
Look, the bottom line is that we have no damn business in that country in the first place. That alone is offensive to me. The rest of the stuff is meaningless icing on the cake. No occupation, no problems.

If you're not there, then you don't need to worry about them rioting.

So yea, it really is that simple.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
Also noticed some here justifying the murder committed by these animals because someone else's Quran was burned.
Where?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:38 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
I'm an active duty soldier who will be deploying to Afghanistan in a few weeks. I find the original post to be ignorant blather. Afghans take the Koran very seriously. We know that. We receive training on that. The soldiers who burned the Korans (in view of local Afghans.. morons!) were extremely negligent in their duties and cost their fellow soldiers (two so far) and innocent Afghans their lives.

I'm not an Afghan. I have a different cultural mindset. I don't feel murderous rage when inanimate objects are burned, be they US flags, Bibles, crucifixes, etc. I'd like to think this is because I come from a culture that has advanced beyond magical thinking, but perhaps I'm just flattering myself and our culture. Whatever.

The point is that the soldiers should have known better. The Afghan interpreters who were on hand told the soldiers not to let the other Afghans who saw what they did go. Furthermore, they told them not to let the Afghans take the charred Korans with them into the streets. They, the intrepreters who understand Afghan culture, knew this would cause a ****storm. Oh well. They were allowed to take the charred Korans into the streets anyway.

The cultural stupidity of these soldiers is just inexcusable. I hope they realize they have blood on their hands, and they feel very sorry for being dull-witted drooling retards. They probably don't feel that way though. They probably feel indigant at these haughty Afghans who dare to care so much about their holy book. They probably would read the OP and think, hell yeah! Someone is saying it!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:

Why not?

considering how much you despise the separation of church and state, it wouldn't surprise me if you burned an American flag.

I would still support your right to do it, even if Americans killed Muslims, which would be like a birthday present for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies