Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 PM

736 posts, read 524,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I've been married twice, neither time in a church, neither time was the ceremony performed by someone with any church affiliation that I was aware of, and neither time was god even mentioned in the ceremony.

Nothing - NADA - religious about either ceremony.

Was I not really married? If not, then I want all the money I spent on attorneys and court costs to get divorced back!
Ok thats good for you. Marriage is still religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.A.P View Post
Ok thats good for you. Marriage is still religious.
Not civil marriage. The gay marriage debate has nothing to do with religion or religious marriage.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 PM

No, they should get the same rights. Just not the title of marriage.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
I've never felt the government had any business in the marriage (a religious concept) business to begin with.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
How about those of us who look at it from the point of view that gays should be able to get married?
That's your view, and you welcome to have your own opinion.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
No it' s not. Your argument is invalid and unconstitutional or did you not look at that picture I responded with? It's called separation of church and state. I've known plenty of people who have gotten married with no mention of god or religion whatsoever.

Keep your "God" and religion out of United States government and laws. Or do I have to link you to the US Constitution as well?
Its also defined as a union between a man and a woman. Everyone is treated equally. Any man can marry any woman and any woman can marry any man. Texas treats all equally and follows the Constitution. This Judge - not so much.

Last edited by doctrain; 02-23-2012 at 09:01 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 PM

Gays still should not be able to hold the title of marriage. EVER. They can think they are all they want but they never will be legally. I don't care what laws are passed to legalize gay marriage, gays can think what ever they want because God is the final judge.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
No, they should get the same rights. Just not the title of marriage.
So that should be a word specially reserved within our civil, secular laws for people of your religious faith? How theocratic (an unAmerican) of you.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 PM

Yes. When someone gets married that is a bond between the man and women.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times
Quote:
Gays still should not be able to hold the title of marriage. EVER. They can think they are all they want but they never will be legally. I don't care what laws are passed to legalize gay marriage, gays can think what ever they want because God is the final judge.
8 states within the US disagree with you. Face it, the gay movement of our time is essentially the civil rights movement the blacks were going through back in the 1960s.

It's against the Constitution to not allow gays to be married solely based on orientation and because you think it's 'icky'. Maybe you didn't read that picture or look at it but I believe the First Amendment says,

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

All your reasons for citing why gays ought to not be allowed to marry are religious at it's base and foundation. Again, your argument is unconstitutional and goes against the very foundation in which this country was found upon. You're welcome to your opinion and I will respect that but don't be surprised when people point out how ignorant and asinine it really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies