U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,161,086 times

Advertisements

"An openly gay Texas judge says she refuses to conduct marriage ceremonies for straight couples until same-sex couples can also wed."

Read more: Gay Texas judge, Tonya Parker, won

Wow! Will she remain on the bench? This reminds me a bit of a recent case in Michigan where a psych. college student refused to counsel gay clients stating that due to religious reasons, she didn't feel comfortable with regard to their relationship issues and offered to refer them to another therapist at the college clinic. That student was fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
I hope someone higher comes down on that judge. Law trumps someone's opinion and a judge should certainly know that above anyone else.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:46 PM

26,486 posts, read 24,220,986 times
Is she required to conduct marriage ceremonies or is it optional? If it's optional, then I don't see a problem here.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:55 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,349,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I hope someone higher comes down on that judge. Law trumps someone's opinion and a judge should certainly know that above anyone else.
Would you feel that way if this were a hetero judge in a marriage equality state refusing to marry same sex couples?

Old 02-23-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Law doesn't seem to matter much to a lot of people in this country anymore. I guess this is an example of Judicial Activism.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:57 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,771,473 times
So she is using her elected position to push the gay agenda, typical.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:02 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Would you feel that way if this were a hetero judge in a marriage equality state refusing to marry same sex couples?
Did you comment in the thread about the counselor who wouldn't counsel gay people and wanted to refer them to another counselor ?

It is ok that people go into professions yet use their personal opinions to cherry pick what they want to do or not do ?

Personally I have no problem if gay marriage became legal in all states.
But I think this judge should champion that on her own time and not use her position to cherry pick on what she thinks the law should be.

What if firemen didn't want to put out fires of homes owned by gays ?
What if cops didn't want to respond to burglaries in homes owned by gays ?
What if teachers didn't want to teach kids of gay families ?
Now I realize I'm giving examples going in the opposite direction but it makes the same point.

When does the "cherry picking" cross the line ?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 PM

4,383 posts, read 8,678,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"An openly gay Texas judge says she refuses to conduct marriage ceremonies for straight couples until same-sex couples can also wed."

Read more: Gay Texas judge, Tonya Parker, won

Wow! Will she remain on the bench? This reminds me a bit of a recent case in Michigan where a psych. college student refused to counsel gay clients stating that due to religious reasons, she didn't feel comfortable with regard to their relationship issues and offered to refer them to another therapist at the college clinic. That student was fired.
This is consistent with pharmasicsts who refuse to fill prescriptions for the day after pill because they find them unethical, the same way this judge finds heterosexual marriage unethical and of course conservatives lobby for them to keep their jobs. I'm sure conservatives will be consistent and lobby for this judge to keep her job as well

Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 PM

14,920 posts, read 10,722,724 times
Judges in Texas are authorized to oversee a civil marriage if they so choose. They are not required to do so. A judge could go a whole career without officiating a marriage. This is a non story.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Judges in Texas are authorized to oversee a civil marriage if they so choose. They are not required to do so. A judge could go a whole career without officiating a marriage. This is a non story.
Do you have a link to support this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or