Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
In my day I ran in some seriously fundamentalist circles and I often heard language very similar to this--especially in regards to public education. Just a small snippet of things I've had said to me by the motley crew of homeschoolers, libertarians, and Culture War Christians through the years:

This is just a small snippet of the many things I've had said to me. I didn't mention the snarky comments about my colleagues (lazy government employees), the kids I teach (godless little monsters) or my choice of profession. (meaningless, will have no impact) I should note that all of these people who say these things are on the right side of the political spectrum. In contrast, all of the liberals I've met have been 100% supportive of what I do.

No, not all conservatives hate public education, and plenty do have respect for individual teachers (and have told me so to my face). But just about all people who hate public education happen to be conservatives--or religious fanatics. It's happened too often for me to shrug it off as just a couple of outliers in the movement. There's a strong anti-intellectual, anti-education streak in American conservatism, and it's stunning that more intelligent conservatives don't notice it or call it out.

When I was a right wing high schooler, I always wondered why my teachers were Democrats. But after college and actually working in the profession, I finally understand why.
Oh god this f-ing tool Santorum again!!! I feel like we're gonna be doomed if he ever becomes president. There is a strong anti-education sentiment among conservatives. The reason for that is because many in education question God and religion and many others out-right deny it all together. This drives Bible-beaters crazy to no end! To me, I think home-schooling denies a child of too many things like social interaction, sports, the whole school experience in general. This goes to show you how out of touch some of these religious fanatics are. This is off the subject of education, but I'll share it anyway. I used to work with a guy like this. He told me, and believed, that New Orleans is the modern day Babalon and that's why Katrina hit it. Now, I lived in the deep douth from '07-'09, I don't give a damn what anyone thinks of voodoo shops and adult toy stores, Katrina was a disaster, and to say an area "deserved" it is beyond comprehension. And if NOLA is sin-city, like some choose to believe, then one; don't go there. and two; I enjoy sinning because I've had a great time anytime I've been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Democarts sloagn shpould be keep pouring mon ey into failing syatems because we get teachers money and their votes.Forget the children in the mix.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
It also isn't about unions, the federal government, or the department of education. Yet you continue to try to make it about that. More proof that right wingers, not conservatives, despise education. This isn't about your run of the mill Reagan Republican, this is about the far right teabagging morons.

You want to talk about unions start your own thread bashing working class America, this is about education.
Your thread title says "GOP", now you're saying this isn't about the GOP afterall?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,285,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Democarts sloagn shpould be keep pouring mon ey into failing syatems because we get teachers money and their votes.Forget the children in the mix.
Another fine example of right wing hatred towards education.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
What do you think?

If they are not demonizing teachers, schools, or college students, they are demonizing scientific theories

books, who needs em
Well we only need ONE book. The KJV Bible of course!

Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Your thread title says "GOP", now you're saying this isn't about the GOP afterall?
My title is about GOP slogans. The GOP has been hijacked by the crazies. The crazies are the ones determining policies, probably the reason why some GOP'ers will stay home, vote 3rd party, or vote for Obama this Nov.

See the difference between me and you is that I don't make blanket statements about all conservatives or all Republicans. I might say some, or even most, but rarely will I say all.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
My title is about GOP slogans. The GOP has been hijacked by the crazies. The crazies are the ones determining policies, probably the reason why some GOP'ers will stay home, vote 3rd party, or vote for Obama this Nov.
That's a GREAT reelection plan, I look forward to seeing the results. LOL

Old 02-24-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
See the difference between me and you is that I don't make blanket statements about all conservatives or all Republicans. I might say some, or even most, but rarely will I say all.
Quote:
What do you think?

If they are not demonizing teachers, schools, or college students, they are demonizing scientific theories

books, who needs em
Really?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,602,741 times
Quote:
That's a GREAT reelection plan, I look forward to seeing the results. LOL
Democrats don't need a reelection plan, quite frankly. Democrats can sit back and watch the GOP do all the work that Obama needs to be re-elected.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Really?
Demons are agents of Satan, correct? Hence the word "demonizing"

Santorum: Satan is Systematically Destroying America - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies