Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 03:49 PM

391 posts, read 513,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Most likely.
hahahhahhahhahhahh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 03:52 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
hahahhahhahhahhahh
You do realize I was specifically referring to atheistic persecution in other countries, right?

Old 02-25-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
"Persecution" is a strong word. A case can be made that a soft persecution of Christianity is heating up in this country, as Obama's HHS mandate might prove, but I prefer to use "persecution" in a more conventional sense. You know - jails and labor camps, firing squads, dispossession, that kind of thing.

State-sponsored discrimination, disfavor, restrictions, handicaps, etc. do not always rise to the level of persecution.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:57 PM

You do realize that your original post was about the US

Old 02-25-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
You do realize that your original post was about the US
You do realize that I never claimed Christians are being persecuted (yet) in the US?

Old 02-25-2012, 04:10 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
1. Any society needs a set of common values and beliefs to function well - a social consensus. There may exist legitimate diversity within certain limits, and a degree of tolerance outside those limits, but ....... there must be limits.

2. It is important that those values and beliefs be rooted in truth. A society based on false beliefs about God and man leads to tyranny.

3. Politics is, at minimum, about carefully ensuring that the state does not impose a false worldview on its citizens, and about creating an environment for the truth to flourish.

4. The United States has lost the social consensus it once had - a consensus that was unique in the world for its breadth and tolerance while at the same time committed to principles rooted in the Western Christian tradition. Large segments of the population now see our former consensus as narrow, bigoted, repressive, and even "theocratic".

5. The present situation is not sustainable. If our society continues to fracture in this way, then our politics will descend into greater tyranny and possibly even civil war.

Conclusion:

The only workable solution is a return to an explicit Christian state. The experiment whereby the government pretends "neutrality" is too easily exploited by secularists and the enemies of the Christian faith. The doctrine of religious pluralism is, paradoxically, a cleverly wielded tool of secularization.

I don't know whether this is possible for the entire country, or only for certain regions of the country, but t is essential in some form to the survival of anything resembling what once was America and the English-speaking Christian West.

Naturally some will ask "Which version of Christianity"? Catholicism? Presbyterianism? Methodism? Et al? In the first place, the federal government doesn't need to require belief from anybody but its civil servants, and this belief need only be expressed as a promise to respect and not to subvert the Christian faith and morality of the people.

Insofar as the federal government assists private institutions, schools and charities - and these, rather than the government, should provide the bulk of social services in the country - preference should be given to those which profess the Nicene Creed in the context of historically mainstream Christianity (Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant) and traditional expressions of morality.

Where has this ever worked? It worked relatively well all over the world until the mid-20th century. Canada, and especially the province of Quebec, was once a shining example of this kind of system, though it is now in the process of rejecting its past and enforcing a tyrannical secularism. There are still a few nations left today that have retained the concept - the Philippines, Malta, Lichtenstein - hardly repressive "theocracies" despite the squeals of secularists.
Well, this is certainly the WORST idea I've heard in a long long time.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Not on anything approaching the scale and magnitude of 20th century atheistic persecution.
ok I'm confused, America is ok, yet you are against who?

Old 02-25-2012, 04:47 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Why would you think I disagreed with the verses you quoted? Have I told anyone not to pay their taxes? Have I been saying that our government is not legitimate and shouldn't be obeyed?

On the contrary, I stand squarely with Pope Leo XIII: "From these pronouncements of the Popes it is evident that the origin of public power is to be sought for in God Himself, and not in the multitudes ...."

Nevertheless, the state's authority is not absolute: "We ought to obey God, rather than men."

Just curious, stillkit: is it therefore your opinion that the American Revolution was an illegitimate revolt against a divinely established government?

Of course it was. What do you think and why?

Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Of course it was. What do you think and why?
OK, thanks for an honest answer.

You believe the American Revolution was illegitimate. Because the Bible says so. That position is not going to win a popularity contest around here either.

What do I think? To be completely honest, I agree with you.

There. A Southern Baptist and a Roman Catholic, peas in a pod. And sticking up for Protestant England, no less!

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 02-25-2012 at 05:50 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 06:04 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
OK, thanks for an honest answer.

You believe the American Revolution was illegitimate. Because the Bible says so. That position is not going to win a popularity contest around here either.

What do I think? To be completely honest, I agree with you.

There. A Southern Baptist and a Roman Catholic, peas in a pod. And sticking up for Protestant England, no less!

Then doesn't it have to follow that changing the United States from what it is now, a form of internal revolt, would be equally illegitimate?

And, by the way, though you have not called for refusing to pay taxes, as you stated, your previous post left the definite impression that you don't like doing it because it's spent on things you don't like. May I remind you that the Lord loves a cheerful giver, not one who gives grudgingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies