Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,130,345 times

Advertisements

And I bet you are mistaken about my beliefs. I bet your idea of what a liberal believed is based on some nonsense you heard on Rush Limbaugh or Glen Beck.

I believe:

* In equality of opportunity (not equality of outcome)
* In social support for those who need it (and throwing those who commit fraud in jail)
* In Science
* Fair Taxation (including a low corporate tax rate, but with few loopholes)
* Local Control of Education (and that a combination of failure of the family structure, technologicalization and union protectionism is ruining education)
* Absolute separation of church and state

Seems pretty mainstream to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
And I bet you are mistaken about my beliefs. I bet your idea of what a liberal believed is based on some nonsense you heard on Rush Limbaugh or Glen Beck.

I believe:

* In social support for those who need it (and throwing those who commit fraud in jail)
* In Science
* Local Control of Education (and that a combination of failure of the family structure, technologicalization and union protectionism is ruining education)

In it's purest sense, liberalism is about liberty, i.e. freedom. It's just that in the modern day, liberalism means liberating you from taking on the daunting task of your own personal responsibility, and turning that over to big government to handle for you.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
In it's purest sense, liberalism is about liberty, i.e. freedom. It's just that in the modern day, liberalism means liberating you from taking on the daunting task of your own personal responsibility, and turning that over to big government to handle for you.
Very well said and just what I was going to say. I would only add that I don't consider what is said by the OP to be mainstream as long as progressives are the ones in power. Of course, that thinking is just what I think about nearly all those things so he can't be mainstream on this forum.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,293 times
Where the problem lies is that the far left has kidnapped the liberal platform, just as the far right has kidnapped the conservative platform. There are some things we would still have differences in, but, a lot of that could be compromised between us.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 PM

9,137 posts, read 5,798,959 times
Quote:

I believe:

* In Science

Seems pretty conservative to me...

Old 02-24-2012, 12:54 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Quote:

I believe:

* In Science

Mainstream to you, treason to the liberals in power today.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Mainstream to you, treason to the liberals in power today.
How so? Please explain.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:56 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Seems pretty conservative to me...
That certainly not the agenda our conservative political party has been pushing for decades.

Equal opportunity: Nope. They instead cling to this insane fantasy that a child born into a rich family, sent to private prep schools, and sent to Harvard on daddy's dime has exactly the same opportunity as a poor black kid growing up in the ghetto.
Social support for those who need it: Nope - only for their rich buddies.
Science: Actively attack it (evolution, climate change, etc) and try to replace it with religion.
Fair Taxation: Nope. Loopholes for their cronies and rich people. Those in the middle get screwed.
Local Control of Education: Sometimes. Only when they think going local is a better way to achieve their goals of turning the classroom into a church.
Separation of church and state: Nope. They want (Christian) religion in our classrooms, in our laws, in our constitution.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:07 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,130,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Where the problem lies is that the far left has kidnapped the liberal platform, just as the far right has kidnapped the conservative platform. There are some things we would still have differences in, but, a lot of that could be compromised between us.
No, this is actually the fall-back position that those who make there living smearing and falsely attributing ridiculous positions to liberals use. The overwhelming majority of liberals here think like I do.

For the record far left positions would include cradle to grave social welfare support, reperations to African Americans and forced out of town bussing to increase racial integration in schools. I don't support any of these FAR left policies and I bet neither do most Liberals.

Now as far as mainstream conservatism being kidnapped... That's another discussion.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:12 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Care to clarify who exactly the far left and far right are, and what their ideology is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies