Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:48 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
And did you know more people died making left hand turns in America than died in Chicago?
Please explain to me what that has to do with the amount of violence that is taking place in our American streets? Do you not care simply because you don't live in these neighborhoods? Did you know that because the inflated murder rates are confined to certain neighborhoods in our cities, that we have some of the most violent neighborhoods in the world? You wouldn't dare walk through some of the neighborhoods I've seen in this country.

I don't find it funny that you deflect from the conversation by making an asinine comment that has nothing to do with the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
What do you call forgiving all of their college loans and living off grants?

Wait for it.............
You seem to be missing the entire point here. You also seem to be out of touch with the realities of many Americans in this country.

First of all, college tuition needs to be put in check. For those Americans who aren't fortunate enough to have parents pay their way through school, college debt is spiraling out of control. It would be reasonable for a graduate to pay off $80,000 worth of student loans if the job market dictated decent salaries and avenues for promotion. However, many graduates are making less than $35,000 their first 3-4 years after college. Even with a modest lifestyle, these salaries are not enough to pay off the college debt in any reasonable fashion. Many older Americans are working longer and being paid at higher rates than younger Americans. With the unemployment rate sky high, and the underemployment rate extremely high, even more graduates are finding they're stuck doing multiple jobs just to cover their basic bills. While most Americans are working longer hours, they're also vacationing less and taking less time off.

A lot of Americans don't have adequate time to search for another job or funds to go back to school. As just stated above, college has become unaffordable. What do you suggest people do?

You can either do nothing and let tuition rates increase, or you can protest like the students in the video below. I'm personally proud of these kids. They are standing up for what they believe in. Even if it means taking a can of mace to the face. If you want to praise a protester for waving a flag in a lawn chair, praise a protester for going to jail for what they believe in.

UC Davis Protestors Pepper Sprayed - YouTube

Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You seem to be missing the entire point here. You also seem to be out of touch with the realities of many Americans in this country.

First of all, college tuition needs to be put in check. For those Americans who aren't fortunate enough to have parents pay their way through school, college debt is spiraling out of control. It would be reasonable for a graduate to pay off $80,000 worth of student loans if the job market dictated decent salaries and avenues for promotion. However, many graduates are making less than $35,000 their first 3-4 years after college. Even with a modest lifestyle, these salaries are not enough to pay off the college debt in any reasonable fashion. Many older Americans are working longer and being paid at higher rates than younger Americans. With the unemployment rate sky high, and the underemployment rate extremely high, even more graduates are finding they're stuck doing multiple jobs just to cover their basic bills. While most Americans are working longer hours, they're also vacationing less and taking less time off.

A lot of Americans don't have adequate time to search for another job or funds to go back to school. As just stated above, college has become unaffordable. What do you suggest people do?

You can either do nothing and let tuition rates increase, or you can protest like the students in the video below. I'm personally proud of these kids. They are standing up for what they believe in. Even if it means taking a can of mace to the face. If you want to praise a protester for waving a flag in a lawn chair, praise a protester for going to jail for what they believe in.

UC Davis Protestors Pepper Sprayed - YouTube
Another off-topic rant

Old 02-25-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Please explain to me what that has to do with the amount of violence that is taking place in our American streets? Do you not care simply because you don't live in these neighborhoods? Did you know that because the inflated murder rates are confined to certain neighborhoods in our cities, that we have some of the most violent neighborhoods in the world? You wouldn't dare walk through some of the neighborhoods I've seen in this country.

I don't find it funny that you deflect from the conversation by making an asinine comment that has nothing to do with the subject.
Another off-topic post.

THIS thread is about Occupy the SEC, NOT "violence that is taking place in our American streets"

What don't you understand about staying on-topic?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Just posting facts, like you....

Do you need assistance in opening up a thread on violence on American streets instead of attempting to hijack this one?

It's really very easy to do, DM me if you need assistance with this highly technical task....

You have been trying to hijack this thread since post #58 changing the subject to violence in American streets, please knock it off....

My offer stands to assist you in opening a thread on this subject or I'm sure you could DM one of the mods and ask for their assistance in opening a new thread on violence in American streets....

Last edited by plwhit; 02-25-2012 at 08:12 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Another off-topic rant
Quote:
Another off-topic post.

THIS thread is about Occupy the SEC, NOT "violence that is taking place in our American streets"

What don't you understand about staying on-topic?
Quote:
Just posting facts, like you....

Do you need assistance in opening up a thread on violence on American streets instead of attempting to hijack this one?

It's really very easy to do, DM me if you need assistance with this highly technical task....
All of the issues brought up are reasons why this country needs to be "Occupied"

Sitting at home and complaining from behind a computer screen isn't going to get people's attention. Apparently these mass protests and demonstrations have finally gotten America's attention. It sure did get yours.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
All of the issues brought up are reasons why this country needs to be "Occupied"

Sitting at home and complaining from behind a computer screen isn't going to get people's attention. Apparently these mass protests and demonstrations have finally gotten America's attention. It sure did get yours.
Actually if you look at threads the OP has opened you'll see he opened and was posting almost minute by minute status updates on OWS Zucotti and you'll see I was active in that one.

I'm truly sorry, in all the occupy threads that have been started here I don't remember a single post in any of them that mentioned violence in American streets as an action item...

Mox Nix, my offer stands to assist you in opening a thread on this subject or I'm sure you could DM one of the mods and ask for their assistance in opening a new thread on violence in American streets....

Old 02-25-2012, 08:26 PM

OWS kiddies practicing OWS MOV before the actual OWS SEC

OWS F13 Occupy the SEC - YouTube

I dunno, to me they look like hipsters and sound like a grade school choir....

Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Actually if you look at threads the OP has opened you'll see he opened and was posting almost minute by minute status updates on OWS Zucotti and you'll see I was active in that one.

I'm truly sorry, in all the occupy threads that have been started here I don't remember a single post in any of them that mentioned violence in American streets as an action item...

Mox Nix, my offer stands to assist you in opening a thread on this subject or I'm sure you could DM one of the mods and ask for their assistance in opening a new thread on violence in American streets....
There's a ton of issues that people are protesting for. I'm simply stating issues that I have a vested interest in. The movement isn't isolated to any one issue. If the movement is smart, it will remain that way. The more disenfranchised Americans it can attract, the better. Their message will ring true to those out of work, underemployed, or frustrated with the greed and corruption in this country. The protesters will be a nuisance to those who think things are fine in this country.

Let's get back to this stand that this Wall Street employee is making against the industry she left. What is your view about Wall Street? How do you feel about our financial system in this country? Do you think our current economic system is sustainable?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
OWS kiddies practicing OWS MOV before the actual OWS SEC

OWS F13 Occupy the SEC - YouTube

I dunno, to me they look like hipsters and sound like a grade school choir....
Your comments have nothing to do with the validity of their message. In addition, your making fun of people due to their attire and the stereotype it is associated with. Can we all be adults here? Would you please stay on topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies