Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 03:53 PM

454 posts, read 1,338,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Ok. So I thought of a few more:

Obesity is caused by poverty.

At first glance, this seems like a logical fallacy. I mean, if a person is in poverty, how can they afford enough food to become "obese" by official BMI standards? That makes no sense. But a further look in shows that because of a lack of money, the family will buy cheap foods such as ramen and "heat'n'eat meals" that have an overabundance of carbs.. and other "dense" energy foods instead of more expensive wholesome foods.

Here's another one. Banning guns increasing crime.

Ok, so how does this happen? If we can't get guns, why does crime go up? (BTW, this happened in the UK) Here's how: A criminal is already breaking the law by committing acts of robbery or assault. He or she knows that a Law abiding citizen is NOT going to have a long-range deadly firearm... therefore, making the general public easy targets.

So nya! Logical fallacies may seem illogical as face value.. but there is LOGIC behind (or before...?) that fallacy. Can't spell "Logical fallacy" without logic!
But your examples aren't necessarily fallacies. OK, the categorical statements tread that line, but if you were to insert "can" in there, it ceases to be a straight fallacy. I guess the whole point is that the categorical nature of so many peoples' thinking and therefore speaking is always going to lead to a fallacy. <---like that fallacy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 04:07 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaZelda View Post
But your examples aren't necessarily fallacies. OK, the categorical statements tread that line, but if you were to insert "can" in there, it ceases to be a straight fallacy. I guess the whole point is that the categorical nature of so many peoples' thinking and therefore speaking is always going to lead to a fallacy. <---like that fallacy?
I liked Jed Clampett's ("The Beverly Hillbillies") reasoning when he was first "settling in" to his new mansion in Beverly Hills. Clampett, a rugged mountaineer only recently thrust into the status of multi-millionaire, had never seen a door-bell. But, upon hearing the chimes, he mused to "Granny" that, "I don't know what it means, Granny, but I've learned this much about city life---whenever you hear that little song, it won't be long before someone comes a-knockin' at your door"....

Old 09-07-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I liked Jed Clampett's ("The Beverly Hillbillies") reasoning when he was first "settling in" to his new mansion in Beverly Hills. Clampett, a rugged mountaineer only recently thrust into the status of multi-millionaire, had never seen a door-bell. But, upon hearing the chimes, he mused to "Granny" that, "I don't know what it means, Granny, but I've learned this much about city life---whenever you hear that little song, it won't be long before someone comes a-knockin' at your door"....
Good one! My husband just picked up a Williams Sonoma catalogue thinking it was a regular, kitchen type one, only to realize it was the furniture catalogue. He just told me he can't figure out why he is still looking at it. I told him it's because he assumed too much and doesn't want to let go of his reasoning. We're, um, special.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:04 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Zelda, thanks for the postings. I'm a strong believer in good "critical thinking" skills, as taught me by the Army about 10 years ago in leadership course at Fort Belvoir, VA.

There's a notable effort being made to teach people how to think critically, as per their website at:
CriticalThinking.org - Center for Critical Thinking

For those perusing this thread, critical thinking doesn't mean being critical and nasty, it means approaching a topic or discussion in a measured way to look for the logical fallacies and all the other sins of sloppy thinking.

Here's the gist of what I learned.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Enemies of Critical Thinking, Compiled by Linda B. Nilson, Director, Center for Teaching, Vanderbilt University.

Enemy #1: Logical Fallacies

Non sequitur: Occurs when one statement is not logically connected to another. (AKA ‘disjointed,’ ‘hit or miss,’ ‘all over the map.’)

Ad hominem: Occurs when the writer (or speaker) personally attacks his or her opponents instead of finding fault with their argument. (A serious breach of professional behavior. Attack the idea, not the person.)

Straw man: Occurs when the writer directs the argument against a claim that nobody actually holds or that everyone agrees is weak; often involves misrepresentation or distortion of the opposing argument. (“Much ado about nothing.â€)

Red herring: Occurs when a writer raises irrelevant issues to draw attention away from the central issue. (A diversionary tactic.)

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc: Occurs when the writer implies that because one event follows another, the first caused the second. Chronology is not the same as causality.

Sequential fallacy: Occurs when the writer implies that two simultaneous events are causally related.

Begging the question: Occurs when the believability of the support itself depends upon the believability of the claim. Another name for this kind of fallacy is circular reasoning.

Failing to accept the burden of proof: Occurs when the writer asserts a claim but provides no support for it. (PROVE IT!)

Hasty generalization: Occurs when the writer asserts a claim on the basis of an isolated example. (If one cop eats donuts, don't assume that all cops will do the same.)

Sweeping generalizations: Occurs when the writer fails to qualify the applicability of the claim and asserts that it applies to "all" instances instead of to "some" instances. (It’s advisable to avoid use of superlatives in writing or thinking, i.e., be cautious using words like ‘all’ or ‘every’ as they leave no room for flexibility or reasonableness.)

Overgeneralizations: Occurs when writer fails to qualify a claim and asserts that it is "certainly true" rather than it "may be true."

Slippery slope: Occurs when the writer argues that taking one step will lead inevitably to a next step, one that is undesirable. (Remember the so-called ‘domino theory’ used to justify American involvement in the war in South Vietnam? This theory held that “if South Vietnam fell to communists, then all of Southeast Asia would in-turn fall like domino’s, one after another.)

Equivocation: Occurs when a writer uses the same term in two different senses in an argument.

Oversimplification: Occurs when an argument obscures or denies the complexity of the issue.

Either-or reasoning, or false division: Occurs when a writer reduces the issue to only two alternatives that are polar opposites. (A childlike good/bad view of the world. Few things are purely black or white, most issues have many shades of gray, few solutions are ‘best’ as there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat. George Bush with his war in Iraq "If you don't support the war then you're supporting the terrorists.)

Double standard: Occurs when two or more comparable things are judged according to different standards; often involves holding the opposing argument to a higher standard than the one to which the writer holds his or her own argument.

Reification: Occurs when the writer portrays the symbol as the actual thing and therefore misplaces his or her response to the thing onto the symbol.

Ambiguous words or phrases: Occurs when the writer uses words or phrases that have unclear, unspecific or many different meanings without clarifying his or her specific meaning. These are often used to evoke a purely emotional response.

Emotional appeal: Occurs when the writer tries to excite or appeal to only the reader's emotions.

Ethical appeal: Occurs when the writer tries to convince readers to accept an argument on the basis of his or her moral credentials. (Many televangelists turned out to be crooks! Many "family values" politicians turned out not so.)

Appeal to tradition: Occurs when the writer's grounds rest solely on the "goodness" of what has been done in the past.

Appeal to ignorance: Occurs when the writer argues that something is valid because it is not known to be false.

Add to the above warning signs those of shoddy and deceptive research, such as unacceptable violations of scientific methods and statistical assumptions. (Statistics is a science all its own. If in need of statistical support, consult someone trained in statistics. ORSA’s can help with the use and validity of statistical measures.)

Enemy #2: Psycho-logical Fallacies

Assimilation: Occurs when a person distorts his or her perception and/or memory of an object, event or person to fit into his or her existing beliefs or attitudes.

Denial: Occurs when a person refuses to acknowledge certain impulses or emotions in oneself. Typically, they also become insensitive to or critical of similar impulses or emotions in others.

Displacement: Occurs when a person transfers an emotion from its original focus to another object, person or event.

Externalization: Occurs when a person's unresolved inner conflicts or emotions distort their perception of another person, event or issue.

Projection: Occurs when a person ascribes to others his or her own attitudes, emotions, beliefs or thoughts.

Rationalization: Occurs when a person attributes his or her opinions or behavior to causes that seem valid but are not the true, possibly unconscious causes.

Regression: Occurs when a person reverts to a developmentally earlier or less adapted pattern of feeling or behavior.

Repression: Occurs when a person rejects consciousness of painful or disagreeable impulses, emotions, thoughts or memories.

Resistance: Occurs when a person opposes an attempt to bring repressed impulses, emotions, thoughts or memories to consciousness.

Selective Perception/Recall: Occurs when a person fails to perceive/recall what threatens his or her existing beliefs or attitudes.

Sublimation: Occurs when a person diverts the energy of a biological impulse from its immediate goal to a higher social, moral or aesthetical goal.

Suppression: Occurs when one consciously inhibits an impulse, emotion, thought or memory.

Transference: Occurs when one shifts emotions, especially those experienced in childhood, from one person or object to another, especially the transfer of feelings about a parent to a therapist.

Withdrawal: Occurs when a person removes his or her energy or consciousness from situation that is currently threatening or painful.

----------------

It's not about telling anyone WHAT to think (form of enslavement?). It's about teaching HOW to think (very liberating!).

s/Mike

Old 09-07-2007, 05:08 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Good Post, MikeFromBackEast !!--I'm sure every one of these fallacies can be found on this forum....much food for thought here.....

Old 09-07-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Zelda, thanks for the postings. I'm a strong believer in good "critical thinking" skills, as taught me by the Army about 10 years ago in leadership course at Fort Belvoir, VA.

There's a notable effort being made to teach people how to think critically, as per their website at:
CriticalThinking.org - Center for Critical Thinking

For those perusing this thread, critical thinking doesn't mean being critical and nasty, it means approaching a topic or discussion in a measured way to look for the logical fallacies and all the other sins of sloppy thinking.

Here's the gist of what I learned.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Enemies of Critical Thinking, Compiled by Linda B. Nilson, Director, Center for Teaching, Vanderbilt University.

Enemy #1: Logical Fallacies

Non sequitur: Occurs when one statement is not logically connected to another. (AKA ‘disjointed,’ ‘hit or miss,’ ‘all over the map.’)

Ad hominem: Occurs when the writer (or speaker) personally attacks his or her opponents instead of finding fault with their argument. (A serious breach of professional behavior. Attack the idea, not the person.)

Straw man: Occurs when the writer directs the argument against a claim that nobody actually holds or that everyone agrees is weak; often involves misrepresentation or distortion of the opposing argument. (“Much ado about nothing.â€)

Red herring: Occurs when a writer raises irrelevant issues to draw attention away from the central issue. (A diversionary tactic.)

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc: Occurs when the writer implies that because one event follows another, the first caused the second. Chronology is not the same as causality.

Sequential fallacy: Occurs when the writer implies that two simultaneous events are causally related.

Begging the question: Occurs when the believability of the support itself depends upon the believability of the claim. Another name for this kind of fallacy is circular reasoning.

Failing to accept the burden of proof: Occurs when the writer asserts a claim but provides no support for it. (PROVE IT!)

Hasty generalization: Occurs when the writer asserts a claim on the basis of an isolated example. (If one cop eats donuts, don't assume that all cops will do the same.)

Sweeping generalizations: Occurs when the writer fails to qualify the applicability of the claim and asserts that it applies to "all" instances instead of to "some" instances. (It’s advisable to avoid use of superlatives in writing or thinking, i.e., be cautious using words like ‘all’ or ‘every’ as they leave no room for flexibility or reasonableness.)

Overgeneralizations: Occurs when writer fails to qualify a claim and asserts that it is "certainly true" rather than it "may be true."

Slippery slope: Occurs when the writer argues that taking one step will lead inevitably to a next step, one that is undesirable. (Remember the so-called ‘domino theory’ used to justify American involvement in the war in South Vietnam? This theory held that “if South Vietnam fell to communists, then all of Southeast Asia would in-turn fall like domino’s, one after another.)

Equivocation: Occurs when a writer uses the same term in two different senses in an argument.

Oversimplification: Occurs when an argument obscures or denies the complexity of the issue.

Either-or reasoning, or false division: Occurs when a writer reduces the issue to only two alternatives that are polar opposites. (A childlike good/bad view of the world. Few things are purely black or white, most issues have many shades of gray, few solutions are ‘best’ as there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat. George Bush with his war in Iraq "If you don't support the war then you're supporting the terrorists.)

Double standard: Occurs when two or more comparable things are judged according to different standards; often involves holding the opposing argument to a higher standard than the one to which the writer holds his or her own argument.

Reification: Occurs when the writer portrays the symbol as the actual thing and therefore misplaces his or her response to the thing onto the symbol.

Ambiguous words or phrases: Occurs when the writer uses words or phrases that have unclear, unspecific or many different meanings without clarifying his or her specific meaning. These are often used to evoke a purely emotional response.

Emotional appeal: Occurs when the writer tries to excite or appeal to only the reader's emotions.

Ethical appeal: Occurs when the writer tries to convince readers to accept an argument on the basis of his or her moral credentials. (Many televangelists turned out to be crooks! Many "family values" politicians turned out not so.)

Appeal to tradition: Occurs when the writer's grounds rest solely on the "goodness" of what has been done in the past.

Appeal to ignorance: Occurs when the writer argues that something is valid because it is not known to be false.

Add to the above warning signs those of shoddy and deceptive research, such as unacceptable violations of scientific methods and statistical assumptions. (Statistics is a science all its own. If in need of statistical support, consult someone trained in statistics. ORSA’s can help with the use and validity of statistical measures.)

Enemy #2: Psycho-logical Fallacies

Assimilation: Occurs when a person distorts his or her perception and/or memory of an object, event or person to fit into his or her existing beliefs or attitudes.

Denial: Occurs when a person refuses to acknowledge certain impulses or emotions in oneself. Typically, they also become insensitive to or critical of similar impulses or emotions in others.

Displacement: Occurs when a person transfers an emotion from its original focus to another object, person or event.

Externalization: Occurs when a person's unresolved inner conflicts or emotions distort their perception of another person, event or issue.

Projection: Occurs when a person ascribes to others his or her own attitudes, emotions, beliefs or thoughts.

Rationalization: Occurs when a person attributes his or her opinions or behavior to causes that seem valid but are not the true, possibly unconscious causes.

Regression: Occurs when a person reverts to a developmentally earlier or less adapted pattern of feeling or behavior.

Repression: Occurs when a person rejects consciousness of painful or disagreeable impulses, emotions, thoughts or memories.

Resistance: Occurs when a person opposes an attempt to bring repressed impulses, emotions, thoughts or memories to consciousness.

Selective Perception/Recall: Occurs when a person fails to perceive/recall what threatens his or her existing beliefs or attitudes.

Sublimation: Occurs when a person diverts the energy of a biological impulse from its immediate goal to a higher social, moral or aesthetical goal.

Suppression: Occurs when one consciously inhibits an impulse, emotion, thought or memory.

Transference: Occurs when one shifts emotions, especially those experienced in childhood, from one person or object to another, especially the transfer of feelings about a parent to a therapist.

Withdrawal: Occurs when a person removes his or her energy or consciousness from situation that is currently threatening or painful.

----------------

It's not about telling anyone WHAT to think (form of enslavement?). It's about teaching HOW to think (very liberating!).

s/Mike
Excellent post, Mike! It's no wonder they are so easy to fall into.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:16 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaZelda View Post
Please do explain!
Ouch! This is one of my pet peeves. I do some moonlighting as an instructor and I always wince when I see faculty including "do" to highlight their command of the English language. What's wrong with just "Please explain?"

Nothing personal. Just something that always grates when I have to read it.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:17 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,420 times
What a great thread! Thanks for the link, SepiaZelda. It seems that more and more Politics members are interested in good, logical debate. Nice!

Old 09-08-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Ouch! This is one of my pet peeves. I do some moonlighting as an instructor and I always wince when I see faculty including "do" to highlight their command of the English language. What's wrong with just "Please explain?"

Nothing personal. Just something that always grates when I have to read it.
HA! After I posted it I looked at it and thought, why did I put "do" in there? Either way, it makes it seem condescending, doesn't it?

Old 09-08-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
What a great thread! Thanks for the link, SepiaZelda. It seems that more and more Politics members are interested in good, logical debate. Nice!
I'm really enjoying this forum! I like the fact that personalities are mostly kept aside and people are discussing the actual issues. Ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies