Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:42 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times

Advertisements

End federal marriage acknowledgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 07:01 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm not sure why you are making this personal about me. "My problem?" I am answering the OP about why politics should not be involved in marriage. The only reason to get politics involved to force some notion about marriage is to legislate things that would go against certain people's rights.

Yes, marriage is attractive to many people, but not as many has it used to be. I agree that it's best for the kids. I'm also happy to see that because we've loosened up as a society, many people don't have to stay in arrangements that are not creating a happy home. People used to have to stay in those. Is that how we want to increase the numbers of married people? I don't think so.

And so you don't think I'm against marriage, today happens to be my 29th wedding anniversary.
Congratulations, and I apologize for getting on you.

Quote:
The only reason to get politics involved to force some notion about marriage is to legislate things that would go against certain people's rights.
This is not necessarily so.
If the question is "What can politicians do about falling marriage rates"?

Of course government can't force some notion about marriage like they are forcing Catholics to provide contraceptives which goes against certain people's rights.

Married couples are more financially stable than people in single parent homes. There could be more tax breaks for married couples to encourage marriage as a real option. Also, welfare discourages marriage. Get people jobs and marriage will increase. Government needs to get out of the way of job creators.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Marriage rates have been falling the US and across Europe. Why? I don't know. I'd say men no longer view marriage as a sign of maturity and wanted responsibility while women want as much "indepedence" and "power" as possible.

It seems like as a society we're becoming increasingly individualistic. We're afraid to become attached to someone lest we have to sacrifice our own happiness for someone else.

Personally, I support the Republicans' view that the family (composed of more than one parent) is the foundation of a moral and successful society. But even they are too afraid to openly oppose those who have children outside of marriage or those who engage in the excessive casual sex.
Oh for goodness sake.
You're responsible for your own marriage.
I don't want politicians in my marriage, in my uterus or in my personal life.

It's none of your business who I choose to have sex with, when I choose to have it, or how often. Who determines what excessive is? Certainly not you.

How absolutely invasive and disgusting.
You want this type of government, I suggest you move to the middle east.

You support the R stance on marriage by being hypocrites and trying to force their view (that they don't live by) on others?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Realistically they could change divorce laws to not completely destroy men's lives. Any man who enters marriage without a prenup is an idiot, he will get taken to the cleaners, rich or poor. A lot of men are smart enough to realize that entering an unequal social contract is stupid and bad for them.
Funny, the stats show that divorced women with children are the most likely in the US to end up in poverty.
But, please, continue to spout your hatred of women.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Politicians and government in general needs to stay out of humanity's personal lives and homes. Really, who the hell cares if someone else is married or not.
The fact is we have 100's of laws that encourage or discourage marriage. Tax laws and divorce laws affect marriage.

Gov.'t will not be getting out of the marriage relationship, so what it does will affect it one way or another.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:50 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Realistically they could change divorce laws to not completely destroy men's lives. Any man who enters marriage without a prenup is an idiot, he will get taken to the cleaners, rich or poor. A lot of men are smart enough to realize that entering an unequal social contract is stupid and bad for them.
Maybe men should be smart enough to marry women with earning power of their own. There are emotional issues in marriage that may work initially, but are hell on divorce. Women sometimes like to marry men who bring home the bacon. Men like to be the traditional breadwinner. He likes it, to be able to be the main support of a family. They have kids. Things fall apart. He has to not only support the kids, but try to maintain her in a facsimile of the lifestyle she was accustomed to, or to pay for her training into a field in which she can support herself.

I would think that men would be smart in choosing a mate who can work and make a nice living on her own.

When you come down to it, marriage ends up being a legal contract. If you go into it fully aware of this, perhaps you won't be so disappointed later.

Last edited by goldengrain; 02-25-2012 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 07:56 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicgreen View Post
No we need to liberalism everywhere! Obama is the Greek god and is the best president on the history of the USA! Look the economy is doing great! Lower employment at 8%. Green jobs are coming fast. GE is making all emploiyees buy the Chevy Volt. Michelle is regalating all schools food programs so they all get their 5 food groups everyday. Our parents should be ashamed! Let our government control what our kids eat for lunch. Naturally they know whats better for us. Lets vote for a Nanny State! Yes all in...

Please get out there and vote against this dictator! Any GOP candidate is 1000x better than Barrack!
The economic catastrophe was all Bush's fault, but then our messiah Obama came riding in on a white horse and saved us! Happy days are here again! The economy is booming! The Dow crossed 13,000 again! Anybody and everybody can now find employment!

Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
College educated people have higher marriage rates, and lower out of wedlock childbearing rates. I just heard a story about the childbirth stuff on CNN a few minutes ago. Maybe the Republican candidates should encourge college, instead of discouraging it.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
College educated people have higher marriage rates, and lower out of wedlock childbearing rates. I just heard a story about the childbirth stuff on CNN a few minutes ago. Maybe the Republican candidates should encourge college, instead of discouraging it.

Repbulicans don't discourage attending college.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Repbulicans don't discourage attending college.
Supposedly about student loans, but has a lot of anti-college talk as well:
Student Loans, Bad Decisions, and the Bailout Mentality

2012 GOP slogan suggestion, "Just say no to education"

Santorum, Obama wants to boost college enrollment so he can indoctrinate students
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies