Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 03:38 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,281,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

I suspect they know a heck of a lot more than you've proven to know in this thread about the safe storage of fresh eggs.
Always with the personal attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 03:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,800,909 times
Comments in blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
irrelevant. LMAO, that's convenient just to dismiss someone by stating irrelevant. Afraid to admit you are incorrect? That's like saying more people die from flu then from ebola. Ebola isn't les dangerous, just less prevalent. Now Ebola really is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Off the grid or not, I don't know jack about how to make sure the peppers or honey or bread that I buy are safe to eat. I assume by them being at these markets that they've conformed to the cities guidelines for safety. and that's what people like you always forgets about guideline: they aren't just there to make sure that the sellers are doing somethin. they are also there to make sure that the buyers are safe.
No, when it comes to local ordinances (which this thread was not about) they really they are doing it for the licensing & inspection fees. "They" could care less about the buyers. Follow the money..........

Old 02-25-2012, 03:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,800,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Be careful. USDA inspectors are showing up at farmer markets with their thermometers to make sure eggs are kept at 40 degrees.

We now have only one guy selling eggs at a local farmer's market and that's because he rigged up his pickup bed with a gennie and a small fridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And that's a bad idea because?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Always with the personal attacks.
FACTS are not personal attacks. Learn the difference!

Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 PM

14,884 posts, read 8,498,142 times
Quote:
I would include the family farm with the "Eggs for sale" sign out by the mailbox as well (a dozen or so hens). When I pass by one of those signs I leave rubber on the road braking to buy some.
What people seem to have lost sight of is the common sense factor in dealing with local farmers, as compared to the mega corporate operations.

No corporation is going to demonstrate the care and attention to the items they produce like the local folks. First, they and their children consume that product themselves ... and they serve the community around them, which is comprised of their own relatives, friends and neighbors. It's their livelihood, and their passion, often generational in nature, where grand parents pass down the knowledge and skills to their children, which then pass that to their children who follow those time tested processes to produce healthy and safe products.

The idea that some corporation regulated monitored by some government agent is going to produce superior quality, safer products is so thoroughly idiotic, I really cannot grasp the level if reality disconnect required to embrace such a notion.

The facts are, lots of that stuff you buy at the super market is grown overseas ... and you are as far removed from the actual producer as you can get. Does anyone really think that some corporate mega farm is actually concerned about anything other than maximum output, and bottom line profit?

The other aspect of this is the deplorable treatment of animals on these corporate run operations ... it's heart breaking.

We should be doing the exact opposite of what these nitwits embrace ... we should be breaking up these mega operations and moving back to small farming and ranching, which are far better at protecting the environment ... humanely treating animals, and producing the products of the highest quality and safety.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
FACTS are not personal attacks. Learn the difference!
Here are some FACTS!

Home-Produced Chicken Eggs

Eggs from your own backyard chicken flock can be a convenient and nutritious source of protein, plus they offer the added reward of producing your own food.

Even eggs with clean, uncracked shells may occasionally contain bacteria.

Storage. Store eggs in the main section of the refrigerator at 35F to 40F; the shelves in the door tend to be warmer than interior shelves. If collected and stored properly, eggs can have a safe shelf life of greater than three weeks.

Food Storage for Safety and Quality

I don't understand people who have a b**** with food safety.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,083,078 times
Quote:
Comments in blue No, when it comes to local ordinances (which this thread was not about) they really they are doing it for the licensing & inspection fees. "They" could care less about the buyers. Follow the money..........
it's irrelevant to compare the tens of thousands of facilities that handle millions of pounds of produce that tens of millions eat to the thousands that drink raw milk. did you really need me to break it down that far?

who cares about the fees? Fees are an aside to the public good that regulations serve. don't try to detract from the point at hand which is why there are regulations in the first place

Old 02-25-2012, 04:27 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,021,613 times
Vote for a nanny state then get pissed when it actually happens...make up your mind.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:49 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,057,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
We entrust the government to regulate food products and enforce laws to keep them from being contaminated with harmful substances, like E. Coli. The farmer is engaged in interstate commerce. He has to follow federal regulations.
I do not trust the government to regulate food products. I have been drinking raw milk for years. In Romania, we go to the market toting 2 liter soft drink jugs and they ladle the milk into it. I take it home and let it set, then pour off the cream (and pour off a little to sour for sour cream).

I didn't die. I didn't get sick. I never heard of anyone dying or getting sick.

Half of the people in my village get raw milk from me, and the other half from another resident. My neighbor milks my cow for me, and so long as she gives me a liter per day, she can do what she wants with the rest of it. She sells it and makes butter and telemea (a kind of cheese) from it. I take good care of all my animals, my cow, goat, pigs, dogs and cat, and in about 90 days I'll be done here at the VA hospital and I'll be back in Romania doing that myself.

Everyone knows everyone, and no one would be so stupid as to dick over other people by selling bad dairy, bad meat or bad vegetables. That's one of the benefits of not dealing with corporations. I give my pigs to a butcher, and cuts them up. He gets one I get some, I trade some to another neighbor for a side of beef, and the butcher sells the rest and we split the money. The guy with the beef cattle lives in a different county, but I know he takes care of his animals.

Relying on your neighbor is a way of life in Eastern Europe and especially in the Balkans. Unfortunately with Romania in the EU now we have to do the EU BS and no one likes it.

I would point out that government regulation of food products hasn't stopped outbreaks of diseases. Look at all of the money you waste on the bureaucracy and what do you get for it? Nothing really.

If you read the federal papers and other writings, invoking the Commerce Clause here is anti-Constitutional and violates the principle of the Commerce Clause.

The purpose of the Commerce Clause is to allow the federal government to step in if States are interfering with interstate commerce.

What I mean by that is if Ohio passed a law that said corn from Indiana had to be taxed and sold at a higher price in order to protect Ohio corn farmers, then that would be interference in interstate commerce and Congress has the authority to step in and put Ohio in its place.

That is the purpose and intent of the Commerce Clause.

The federal government has no constitutional power or authority to regulate food products. That power and authority is vested solely with the States and only the States may make laws regulating food, so long as those laws do interfere with interstate commerce.

Constitutionally...

Mircea

Old 02-25-2012, 05:11 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,361,259 times
I'm all for small farmers selling locally to whoever wants to buy their wares. Heck I can walk to a farmer down the road that I jokingly refer to as "Whole Foods."

But isn't it the state Dept of Ag that is going after this guy and not the FDA?

Old 02-25-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I'm all for small farmers selling locally to whoever wants to buy their wares. Heck I can walk to a farmer down the road that I jokingly refer to as "Whole Foods."

But isn't it the state Dept of Ag that is going after this guy and not the FDA?
I'm all for small farmers selling locally as well. However, I'm also all for food safety. Why should they get a pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies