Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:08 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
If true, this makes for a non-issue.
It's been said several times already that Christianity does not preach to hate gay people. I'm a cradle Christian and I've been taught to not hate other people. Too many non-Christians falsely equate being against homosexual acts and marriage with hating the person themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I've read all of BruSan's comments and they are basically summarized as, only the State has the authority to tell children what morals and ethics to follow, to hell with parents.

The problem most atheists seem to have is that they assume all Christians are like the Westboro ones that are extremely few in number.

Liberals usually are the most bigoted people, but they try to hide their bigotry behind the "tolerance and open-mindedness" banner especially when it comes to "marriage equality" and a "woman's right to choose"
Well isn't that intersting you summarized my posts to say something I've not said once in any of them.

I've said the state has the authority to prevent schools fom teaching intolerance and bigotry towards identifiable groups or minorities. Nothing more, nothing less.

Teach all the religion you want in schools but leave the intolerance and bigotry GUISED as religion out of schools. Is that too simple for you people to understand?

Now lest you fine upstanding religious folks should start referring to me with any other acronyms that fit your bigotry towards me by calling me any names in addition to "bigot", "atheist" or "liberal". I grew up in the Church of St.James or High Anglican if you will and am as religious as you cross bearing, fish symbol bumper stickered, prejudice toting so-called religious believers.

There is no place in my beliefs for preaching to children the sinful aspects of sexual orientation other than the ones you phonies approve of.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:21 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Religion was to be free of government, not dictated by it.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
No, I'm simply re-using an idea, with consistency. The only difference between accusing one of witch craft and another of being a sinner, is the accusation, "the crime", itself.
I didn't say "witchcraft", I said "witch hunt", which implies they are taking steps to act on that difference in position. You confuse the two to imply that one person voicing the opinion that someone is sinning is the same as hunting them down and rendering judgement and dispensing punishment.

Your use is a gross abuse of the context and meaning I made.

Quote:
Why do some people feel the need to point fingers at others and call them sinners or witches?
Why do people have disagreements? Why do some think one way is better over another? What someone thinks is irrelevant, what they DO with what they think is another story and the distinct difference I was trying to point out to you.

You can hate someone, call them names, etc... all you like, but until you put action to your words, all you are doing is blowing hot air that is worth nothing.

Some people can't accept someone has a difference of opinion with them, they take it as a personal attack, an action upon them. These type of people are irrational.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:28 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,906 times
Quote:
So, basically, you are saying that parents should not have the authority to bring up their children and only the State has moral authority? And you keep incorrectly stating that Christianity teaches bigotry towards homosexuals.
religion is a choice, sexual orientation isn't. teaching kids that someone else being born and existing with a different sexual orientation is a sin is called bigotry and it's evil. the rights of religion end where they begin to affect other people's lives. perhaps if sins were things people had choices over and things that brought harm to others, we'd be more understanding.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:29 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
It's been said several times already that Christianity does not preach to hate gay people. I'm a cradle Christian and I've been taught to not hate other people. Too many non-Christians falsely equate being against homosexual acts and marriage with hating the person themselves.
Correct!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:30 PM

398 posts, read 818,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well isn't that intersting you summarized my posts to say something I've not said once in any of them.

I've said the state has the authority to prevent schools fom teaching intolerance and bigotry towards identifiable groups or minorities. Nothing more, nothing less.

Teach all the religion you want in schools but leave the intolerance and bigotry GUISED as religion out of schools. Is that too simple for you people to understand?

Now lest you fine upstanding religious folks should start referring to me with any other acronyms that fit your bigotry towards me by calling me any names in addition to "bigot", "atheist" or "liberal". I grew up in the Church of St.James or High Anglican if you will and am as religious as you cross bearing, fish symbol bumper stickered, prejudice toting so-called religious believers.

There is no place in my beliefs for preaching to children the sinful aspects of sexual orientation other than the ones you phonies approve of.
We agree then brusan. As long as the state has the authority to prevent schools from teaching intolerance and bigotry towards identifiable groups or minorities, then that would also include prevention of teaching intolerance and bigotry towards religious groups. Good to hear.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
So, basically, you are saying that parents should not have the authority to bring up their children and only the State has moral authority? And you keep incorrectly stating that Christianity teaches bigotry towards homosexuals.

ONCE MORE: Where in my writings did I say parents could not teach their children religion. PLEASE INDICATE with quotes.

Where did I say the STATE HAD THAT MORAL AUTHORITY? Please indicate with quotes.

I will repeat for the umpteenth time: the Canadian government is given the right through it's crafting of HATE laws WE DEMANDED AS CITIZENS to prevent the teaching that HOMOSEXUALITY IS A SIN under the guise of religious teachings. THAT is teaching intolerance and hatred to a readily identifiable group or visible minority.

Parents, churches, travelling preachers under tents are free to spout that crap all they want. Schools are not.

Last point: Christianity teaches bigotry and intolerance towards homosexuals if they insist of classifying them as sinners. Nothing incorrect about my surmisal at all. THAT'S NOT CHRISTIANITY!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badland wonder View Post
We agree then brusan. As long as the state has the authority to prevent schools from teaching intolerance and bigotry towards identifiable groups or minorities, then that would also include prevention of teaching intolerance and bigotry towards religious groups. Good to hear.
Most definitely the laws were crafted to prevent any person or organisation teaching or printing literature for public distribution that would serve to foment intolerance or hatred towards ANY and ALL religions as it would any other indentifiable group or minority.

These laws were crafted to give the government or state clearly defined and limited powers to control this issue and even then there can still be the process of supreme court challenges and appeals.

Every group from the Dukhabors to Buddists are protected under these laws to practice their religion without fear of intolerance or hatred being fomented against them. That is ONE of the intents of the laws.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Most definitely the laws were crafted to prevent any person or organisation teaching or printing literature for public distribution that would serve to foment intolerance or hatred towards ANY and ALL religions as it would any other indentifiable group or minority.

These laws were crafted to give the government or state clearly defined and limited powers to control this issue and even then there can still be the process of supreme court challenges and appeals.

Every group from the Dukhabors to Buddists are protected under these laws to practice their religion without fear of intolerance or hatred being fomented against them. That is ONE of the intents of the laws.
The problem with these "hate" laws is they loosely define what constitutes hate and that is why they are a severe infringement of liberty.

While "some" may put hate into their message, this however does not make the position that homosexuality is a sin a "hate" produced message. To even attempt to defend that position is the height of deviousness and wreaks of malicious motive.

It is a fallacious position that uses such manipulation to ban and condemn all differing views that do not fall in line with the establishment.

This is why "hate crimes" are nothing more than political activist laws used to circumvent the liberty of another under the guise that it does so to protect people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies