Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,722,751 times

Advertisements

The amount of hate and general ignorance on display here is truly startling. First of all, religions teach, hate the sin not the sinner. no mainstream religion I am aware of teaches anyone to hate another person. Religions should be free to believe whatever they want. Heck, no one is forcing those who worship at the alter of global warming to shut up and sit down, even though they have been proven wrong time and again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That's one of the reasons why home schooling is not allowed in some countries, they don't want kids to be subject to indoctrination. Sure, parents will still say nasty or outdated things at home, but at least there is a place called school where kids hear people say exactly the opposite. That at least makes them think and wonder which is correct.

You mean, indoctrination the state can't control. Of course the state engages in indoctrination.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,675,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I agree. A close relative of mine is going to home school their children and I wonder what kind of distortions will be imparted. Education is so important, I don't know why people think of it as customizable or why they think certain facts are worthy of exclusion. Does it really take a college degree to accept that facts are more reliable than beliefs?
I guess when someone is religious they don't think there are any facts, people get that tunnel vision, and the lack of evidence and reason even becomes the charming thing about beliefs as it frees you from having to prove and justify anything.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You mean, indoctrination the state can't control. Of course the state engages in indoctrination.
I don't want kids to be indoctrinated by anyone, neither by parents, nor by teachers. The more people kids have to do with, the more opinions they will hear, the less they will be the victim of any one indoctrination. A child is not their parents' property, but a member of all of society.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I don't want kids to be indoctrinated by anyone, neither by parents, nor by teachers. The more people kids have to do with, the more opinions they will hear, the less they will be the victim of any one indoctrination. A child is not their parents' property, but a member of all of society.
Unfortunately there are many areas of study that are open to indoctrination. History for example. There are those in the US who belive Columbus was a great man, and there are those who believe he was a murderer. There are many examples of subjectivity in education. Yet, it is the state that decides what the "facts " are.

Religious schools and home schools should be free to teach children that sex is for procreation and any sex that doesn't lead to the posibility of life is immoral. For those who do not subscribe to these beliefs, they shouldn't go to religious schools.

Parents have every right what values to subject their children, this is not the role of the state.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately there are many areas of study that are open to indoctrination. History for example. There are those in the US who belive Columbus was a great man, and there are those who believe he was a murderer. There are many examples of subjectivity in education. Yet, it is the state that decides what the "facts " are.

Religious schools and home schools should be free to teach children that sex is for procreation and any sex that doesn't lead to the posibility of life is immoral. For those who do not subscribe to these beliefs, they shouldn't go to religious schools.

Parents have every right what values to subject their children, this is not the role of the state.
Go to? That is the point, parents just send kids to schools, or not for that matter.

Raising a kid is the task of all of society, not just the parents'. Parents who think they are so great they need copies of themselves are definitely too vain.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,837,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
I didn't. Like I said, homosexuality is the wrath of God on this generation. You're just making it worse for yourself by condoning it and teaching kids it is acceptable. Do you deny that experimentation can occur?
Not even close, Lady GaGa and Facebook is the wrath of God on this generation.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Go to? That is the point, parents just send kids to schools, or not for that matter.
Huh? I don't follow. The state is prohibiting religious school from teaching tenents of their religion. You cannot, not send your kids to school, at least in the US anyway.

Yikes, society doesn't raise children parents do. Society thinks sexualization of children is just dandy, I do not and therefor do not want to subject my kid to that. Those are my values, and the state can't force theirs upon me or my kid. (FYI, this is an example) This is a really scary premis, it really means that the government (society) doesn't accept any ideas other than those they sanction. See North Korea for where this leads.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Huh? I don't follow. The state is prohibiting religious school from teaching tenents of their religion. You cannot, not send your kids to school, at least in the US anyway.
You said "For those who do not subscribe to these beliefs, they shouldn't go to religious schools."
You make it sounds as if the child chooses the school they attend. But that is usually not the case. They are just sent to whatever school their parents think is right.

And I support laws keeping schools from teaching stuff that will cause problems in society later on. The US is full of radicals already, just look at your messy, split, hateful society...

Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Yikes, society doesn't raise children parents do. Society thinks sexualization of children is just dandy, I do not and therefor do not want to subject my kid to that. Those are my values, and the state can't force theirs upon me or my kid. (FYI, this is an example) This is a really scary premis, it really means that the government (society) doesn't accept any ideas other than those they sanction. See North Korea for where this leads.
Government is not society. Society includes everyone, i.e. teachers, classmates, parents, neighbors, bus drivers, etc.
Thus your whole North Korea hint is ridiculous.
After all you still have free speech. That automatically includes subjecting your kid to contradicting views and opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies