Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 06:57 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times

Advertisements

No. People have been terminating pregnancies from the time pregnancies started. Get used to it. The abortion laws give women the right to decide whether or not they wish to carry a child to term. It gives her the right to decide whether she wants to have a child, or another child.

When you decide abortions are illegal it doesn't stop them, it just makes it illegal and more women and girls die at the hands of those willing to break the law.

NO ONE ELSE should be able to decide that for her. Get it. NO ONE. Not you. Not her partner. NO ONE.

If you don't want an abortion -- don't have one. Leave other's bodies and lives alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 07:00 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
The left doesn't have a "pro abortion" stance but rather a "pro choice" one.

Lol, oh you're serious. OK, please fill us in on the equivalent organization to planned parenthood, that is supported by the left, that helps women who make the choice to carry a baby to term.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
No. People have been terminating pregnancies from the time pregnancies started. Get used to it. The abortion laws give women the right to decide whether or not they wish to carry a child to term. It gives her the right to decide whether she wants to have a child, or another child.

When you decide abortions are illegal it doesn't stop them, it just makes it illegal and more women and girls die at the hands of those willing to break the law.

NO ONE ELSE should be able to decide that for her. Get it. NO ONE. Not you. Not her partner. NO ONE.

If you don't want an abortion -- don't have one. Leave other's bodies and lives alone.

So you are ok with abortions because a baby has brown eyes, or is left handed or is a girl? Hitler would be proud. You want to build a master race. Well done!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
So you are ok with abortions because a baby has brown eyes, or is left handed or is a girl? Hitler would be proud. You want to build a master race. Well done!
Until just a few years ago, making a baby boy or a baby girl was pretty much a hit-or-miss affair. Not anymore. Parents who have access to the latest genetic testing techniques can now predetermine their baby's sex with great accuracy--as Monique and Scott Collins learned to their delight two years ago, when their long-wished-for daughter Jessica was born after genetic prescreening at a fertility clinic in Fairfax, Va.

Read more: Designer Babies - TIME

My question is, whats the difference between ending the pregnancy after you find the sex or whatever, and predetermining it before they are even implanted into the womb.

As I see it, there is no difference, and we should stay out of private peoples lives.

Just because someone with the means can determine the specifics of their child before the egg is implanted in the mother, does not make it any less of an ethical question. Again, I don't care what my neighbors do, I can control myself in a free country, that is the position of any true, small government conservative.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:07 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
The left doesn't have a "pro abortion" stance but rather a "pro choice" one.
Certain people are deliberately blurring that distinction as they need to demonize pro-choice advocates and make them seem like immoral killers in order to justify taking away personal freedom and responsibility (while complaining about just that on other topics).

Old 02-26-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Until just a few years ago, making a baby boy or a baby girl was pretty much a hit-or-miss affair. Not anymore. Parents who have access to the latest genetic testing techniques can now predetermine their baby's sex with great accuracy--as Monique and Scott Collins learned to their delight two years ago, when their long-wished-for daughter Jessica was born after genetic prescreening at a fertility clinic in Fairfax, Va.

Read more: Designer Babies - TIME

My question is, whats the difference between ending the pregnancy after you find the sex or whatever, and predetermining it before they are even implanted into the womb.

As I see it, there is no difference, and we should stay out of private peoples lives.

Just because someone with the means can determine the specifics of their child before the egg is implanted in the mother, does not make it any less of an ethical question. Again, I don't care what my neighbors do, I can control myself in a free country, that is the position of any true, small government conservative.
Ufortunately abortion inloves more than just the mother, there is a baby being killed, so society has an interest. For those who belive a fetus is just s blob of cells, killing all baby girls should be of concern, since it will mean the end of mankind. Eugenics is unethical and has serious adverse consequences to society.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Certain people are deliberately blurring that distinction as they need to demonize pro-choice advocates and make them seem like immoral killers in order to justify taking away personal freedom and responsibility (while complaining about just that on other topics).

Ok perhaps you can answer the question I posed to the poster you responded to. I really wish the left would drop the pretense once and for all.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Ufortunately abortion inloves more than just the mother, there is a baby being killed, so society has an interest. For those who belive a fetus is just s blob of cells, killing all baby girls should be of concern, since it will mean the end of mankind. Eugenics is unethical and has serious adverse consequences to society.
Then don't have an abortion. But telling everyone else what they should do is big government involvement. Its been denied by several states, even Mississippi, this idea of "when the egg is fertilized" kind legislation has been denied time after time.

When does the fetus become a baby? Thats not for anyone to decide except for the people involved. I don't like abortions, I would be very upset if anyone aborted one of my children. But I would not tell my neighbor that they can't do what they want to do either, because its none of my business.

Again, if rich people can afford to decide when, how, and what kind of baby to have, thats no less immoral then poor people aborting a fetus in the first trimester because they determined the sex was not of their liking.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:15 AM

261 posts, read 357,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

I am trying to decide if it this comment is a lack of understanding the pro-life's position or just a manipulation of information.

My views have nothing to do with controlling women and everything to do with my belief of when life begins. That is the sole difference in the argument. It has NOTHING to do with control and even less to do with religion. It is about morality and beliefs on life. I cannot take any argument seriously that attempts to focus on personal freedom since I am focusing on life and death.

You can shake a stick at me all you want but as long as I believe life happens before a child leaves the womb then no amount of screaming for freedom and equality will change my mind about abortion.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:16 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Ok perhaps you can answer the question I posed to the poster you responded to. I really wish the left would drop the pretense once and for all.
Planned Parenthood themselves for instance, they also do pregnancy options counseling...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies