Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:05 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,350,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I don't know PP's budget, seriously, and I'm unmotivated to look it up. But, I can be pretty sure that pregnancy services account for a decent amount of it - certainly more than the "nothing" you'd asserted earlier.

As far as abortion for sex selection? I think it's a horrible thing. I'd never have an abortion for that reason, and I doubt anyone I know would, either. However, abortion is a legal medical procedure, and you are not required to give your reasons in the first trimester. After that, it must be medically necessary.
I wonder how much of PP's budget goes towards preventing women from having unwanted pregnancies, so that they will be significantly less likely to ever even consider the concept of abortion? I bet it's FAR greater than what the spend on performing abortions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 03:17 PM

18,656 posts, read 33,247,800 times
An infant can't survive without being cared for by adults. That is a dependent relationship, not a parasitic one. A parasite survives *on the body* of its host.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,253,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I wonder how much of PP's budget goes towards preventing women from having unwanted pregnancies, so that they will be significantly less likely to ever even consider the concept of abortion? I bet it's FAR greater than what the spend on performing abortions.
I'm quite sure it is - as I think I posted earlier in this thread, PP's medical services budget is about 45% of its spending, and abortion services (as a line item of the medical services budget) is about 15% of spending. I'd guess that pregnancy prevention spending would be at least double abortion spending, which would translate to many many more pregnancies prevented than terminated.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 PM

14,293 posts, read 9,643,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If pro-lifers think the GOP will do anything for the pro-life cause they are sadly deluded...
We had Reagan, Bush and Bush, for a total of 20 years, and abortion and contraception were not banned, but that never stops them from caterwauling about it each and ever presidential election. It's soooooo predictable, the scare tactics of banning birth control, and taking away Medicare and Social Security and throwing grandma off the cliff are always reused each and every election. So true, so sad.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,259,382 times
No, they make killing the innocent a point of pride for themselves.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:56 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,389,690 times
I don't know anyone who is "pro-abortion."

I do know many pro-choice people.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:29 PM

2,934 posts, read 3,496,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Actually I think anti-gay RRWNJ's would find some religious reason for abortion in that case. No doubt they'd conveniently reinterpret an out-of-context Biblical quote they can cite as well.
Shouldn't you and other Australian left wingers be worrying about destroying your own country? We (Right wing nut jobs) are doing our best to make sure that the American leftists don't collapse the United States.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,524,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Please tell us how much of their budget is spent on supporting other choices. PP is in the business of providing abortions.

I do find it instructive that the debate has devolved into this. I am sure all pro abortion responders are loathe to discuss the OP. Abortion as a means of eugenics. Please defend this.
No, PP is NOT in the business of providing abortions. As I mentioned before, only 3% of their budget covers abortions.

I could tell you what else they do and how much they spend on it, but you can research that yourself by going to their website.

Yes, I know you think that the numbers on their own website are incorrect. They are not. As a non-profit organization they have to file annual reports with those numbers.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,643,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
No, PP is NOT in the business of providing abortions. As I mentioned before, only 3% of their budget covers abortions.

I could tell you what else they do and how much they spend on it, but you can research that yourself by going to their website.

Yes, I know you think that the numbers on their own website are incorrect. They are not. As a non-profit organization they have to file annual reports with those numbers.
Wow, 3% sure does not sound like much, but they still performed 332,278 abortion procedures in 2009.

FactCheck.org : Planned Parenthood

Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,042,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
An infant can't survive without being cared for by adults. That is a dependent relationship, not a parasitic one. A parasite survives *on the body* of its host.
For 9 months its mothers blood is its blood. For 9 months its mothers oxygen is its oxygen. For 9 months its mothers nourishment is its nourishment.

Perfect definition, if you ask me.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies