Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,533,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Read the thread for once, Roy.
What the hell are you talking about. The only one talking about a strip joint is you. We are discussing a private home, not commercial zoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,188,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
What the hell are you talking about. The only one talking about a strip joint is you. We are discussing a private home, not commercial zoning.
And zoning is an issue, op feels it is his land to do whatever he wants with it...

Old 02-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You have very well suggested what is going on here in this discussion. I had to rep you for it.
Same to you roy, welcome to this thread. People are so uninformed and compliant, we will all pay that price. We have a case locally where a landowner decided to build a chapel on his 2000 acres. The powers that be decided he didn't have the right permits. He is suing now. People that are willing to stand up for their rights need and deserve our support. They are us.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 PM

155 posts, read 134,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Theres something else here, its right under the surface.
Why else, as someone else pointed out so succinctly, would you be whining about a law enacted back in 06?
Do you think you can manage a reply without any ad hominems?
My point in bringing this up was to express my concern (and concerns of others as well) with:

A) too many historic districts as I stated "when everything is historic, nothing is historic and related to it the limiting it poses where people can buy who are in favor of freedom and liberty.

B) People not knowing what they are getting involved in like my aunt and uncle and so many others who I know that have lived in HDs.

C) To bring up of the great law in Arizona. Very few historic listings have been added after that law was put in place because permission has to be gained from the homeowner. That is a important word "homeowner" not "home renter" or some other term.

You have stated your dislike for HOAs. Let me give you a hypothetical question. I take it you currently do not live in a HD or a HOA. Your neighbors wish to form not a HD but a HOA to limit everything from paint color, when trash cans are in, trucks on the driveways...everything. You like your house, you have made it what you want but also have more work to do to it to make it what you wish. Should the option be left to you as to rather your property is part of this new HOA or should it be up to your neighbors?

You see what you stand for as a HD and what a HOA stands for are not all that different. You both stand for what you see as for the good of the community and are both willing to take away invdividual liberty and freedoms of people to do what you perceive to be in the best interest. Although the goals are different (one making the community uniform and the other preservation) the tactics and ways of going about it are the very same.

Do you put your house on the market or do you fight? Would that be right?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:50 PM

5,501 posts, read 9,454,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Where did the poster say he was remodeling an adobe house? I guess you read words I just don't see. However, picturing what you suggest is rather humorous to think about.
See post #82.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM

Part of the COST OF LIVING where you live. Don't like it? I'm sure there are places where the property taxes are near zero. Of course, you will sacrifice convenience, services, utilities, and paved roads. But you might find a place with a great view.

In other words, you get what you pay for, if you wanta live close to good jobs, smooth roads, great shopping, public schools and city services you need to pay the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
There are NO property rights left when your local government can place huge taxes ($13,000 on my house, a standard colonial with under 1 acre) on your home, and confiscate it when you eventually can't pay, and the housing market has collapsed.

You just rent your home from the government, after paying many hundreds of thousands for the privilege to get in the game.

Also, the endless government micro-regulations of what you can do to fix up your own home are a joke. It's always been "buyer beware" and government has NEVER fixed a safety problem that I've seen in building my homes--but they have added tens of thousands in pointless costs just to prove how we must cow-tow to them and kiss their robes.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Should we call what we've been doing for the last 60 years "Agenda 20" then? Government policy over that time is/was inadvertently responsible for the unsustainable sprawl that has happened in just about every American city. In other words, "smart growth" is just a response to government susidized sprawl.
So to solve gov't subsidized urban sprawl, let's ask the gov't for more intervention. No, you have it all wrong. They want people out of the rural areas and into the cities - they will designate what areas humans can inhabit. Do not trust the gov't, this monster feeds itself off of your slave labor, and you are content with the crumbs. You have been brainwashed.
Educate yourself.
Agenda 21, ICLEI and the Tenth Amendment – Tenth Amendment Center Blog

Old 02-28-2012, 01:00 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,240,840 times
It doesn't matter if it's Europe or not... the point is that this is not some sort of unique feature of American democracy. It is a feature of all liberal democracies -- you do not have absolute dominion over your land; it's that simple. You never will. You may not like the HD thing but there are plenty of other restrictions on the use of your property -- this is just one that you don't like. It's fine if you don't like it but since you accept the premise that government can control your activities on your own land, then I don't quite understand your moral indignation here. If you don't like this particular restriction, there are ways in a democracy to go about changing them. Your freedom is still quite intact, regardless of how angry you want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw1981 View Post
Yes but this is not Europe and that seems to be something people are forgetting. I can see basic zoning laws. I can even see some HD laws to prevent tear downs. My house sits about a 2 blocks away from a HD and you know what? My house is better looking then most in the HD nearby. Most of them have paint chipping, rotted windows etc.

Now some of you brought up "well don't live there". I don't live in a HD. My house will never get permission from me to be historic. In my city nearly every neighborhood around the midtown and downtown is designated historic. I am on a fringe group of houses that is not. So in order for someone to buy outside of a HD neighborhood they have to buy much much further out and travel longer to work. I am sorry that is not right.

It should have been stated "these are a few historic districts we are creating and the rest we are leaving". Like I said in the OP though this is not the case with preservationists. They want every house they can "save". They think they own the houses and you as a homeowner are just renting.

We are having this very same issue with healthcare in this country. Do gooders who believe that you should be mandated to carry health insurance because it is best for everyone. Well I don't need saving. I don't need to be told to have health insurance and my house is just that...my house. It also does not need saving. It is a house and not a museum.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,887,768 times
Quote:
You read the thread, it was a rhetorical question.
And was initially brought up by another poster, not me.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Same to you roy, welcome to this thread. People are so uninformed and compliant, we will all pay that price. We have a case locally where a landowner decided to build a chapel on his 2000 acres. The powers that be decided he didn't have the right permits. He is suing now. People that are willing to stand up for their rights need and deserve our support. They are us.
I'm sure there is more to the chapel story, probably some links available even.

Is this guy trying to avoid property taxes by "creating" a church? He wouldn't be the first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies