Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,308,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post

In addition, vegetables with that voucher. So, yes, it would make your statement incorrect because clearly the adult can consume said items.

Also, during the first few months where they are receiving formula....how active do you think mothers are postpartum trying to get off the dole??

They are in most instances, under my guess, going deep into the program to get the full range of consumables .
Okay but you said it was totally incorrect....you know what I'm not even going to do semantics with you because my stance is still the same; the children are the ones who benefit the most in this program. For me, making food available for the child is more important then worrying about if the irresponsible adult is going o make a grilled cheese sandwich.

So we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 12:08 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,905,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
For a retired guy you are one angry dude. I made a simple joke and you freak out. BTW "self-interests" is a form of selfishness.

You must be kidding. I could not be happier. Want to fly on a G4?
My statement of 'self-interests' is not really applicable to me, as I will give everything away to those I feel need it.

Without children the human race would die. So you propose no one has children and just let the human race disappear? Makes sense.

As I have stated in other posts, maintaining a constant population is a good idea. Exponential growth is not.

Charity starts at home IMO. Ever hear that quote? I don't contribute $$ to charity. I save it for my family, my child's education and as a just in case so if something does happen my family and I are not a burden on society.

I can (and often do) donate all my time to charitable organizations. Read my other posts. What were YOU doing on Thanksgiving Day, or Christmas Day? Come visit me then and let me serve you a free meal at a shelter.

If you are saving for your child's education, then you should fully (100%) fund his public (or private) school education. I hope you do. My taxes funded 3 students, yet I never utilized the school system. Can you write me a check?

'I save for my family'. Purely self-interest.

What I do give is my time. I volunteer. I coordinate. I help. Some people give money. Some people do the work. Writing a check is easy to do but it's still appreciated nonetheless.

I do both. My time (lots of it), and my resources. Let's not do tit-for-tat, as it wouldn't be fair to you.
Congrats. You have more money than me. That was your point in the 1st sentence right? You came off angry. I made a joke, you decided to rant about giving to charity and giving away your money. If not angry then easily offended I guess.

I never said I wasn't selfish. The whole point of this thread is to talk about people who are not responsible or prepared to have children having children and getting assistance. I find it hard to believe that you are now seeing someone taking care of their child and being responsible as a bad thing. Seems a little contradictory.

In order to maintain a population you need to replace those that die correct? How do you do that you ask? People have children. You chose not to. Your right. I chose to have a child. My right and my responsibility which I take very seriously.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,835,475 times
Actually I support WIC. It's not a welfare program, it's a nutrition program. It is critical that pregnant women eat properly to their fetus develops normally. It is essential that young children especially get proper nutrition. I wish the entire food stamp program was modeled after WIC so that only nutritious foods could be purchased with food stamps. Good nutrition is the foundation for good health.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,244,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Again, giving "free" birth control means you're taking MY money to give to someone else. If women truly wanted to "take control of their own bodies" they would make sure it included birth control.
and when they can't afford it, what then?

Old 02-28-2012, 03:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,082,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
That was my understanding after reading the OP.

I have a special needs child. I've been fortunate enough to find employment with a company who is understanding and allows me to work around his weekly therapies, go to frequent doctor visits, take him for blood work & EEG scans and attend short-notice IEP meetings. A lot of my acquaintances aren't. Many of them have been reduced to single income because they weren't able to schedule around those things or because their child needs around the clock care and their insurance doesn't cover that. And now A LOT of them are receiving WIC, food stamps, SSI, etc. One of my closest associates had to quit a six figure job because her son kept getting kicked out of schools due to aggressive behavior and their insurance does not cover placing him in a facility. So now she stays home with him. I doubt she sat down with her husband and said "now do we have enough money to have a non-verbal aggressive child who will get kicked out of every school we place him in?"

I haven't seen anyone on this thread advocating that you should keep having babies knowing you can't feed them but you can't always plan for life. It sometimes throws you a curve ball and it's nice to know that we're in a country that will help you maintain while you reposition yourself.
First I want to say that my heart goes out to both you and your friend.

Having a special needs child myself I feel I must address this. I think it is the best argument in the world for doing everything you can not to become a single parent, plan your family, choose wisely about who you marry and USE BIRTH CONTROL!!! No, you can't possibly know what is going to happen and that is really the whole point.

The single parent problem and the having more kids that affordable problem is not because of birth control failing, it is because way too often isn't used. Why do you think the problem is so widespread?

I think the biggest mistake people make is planning on living on two incomes. At any given time you may be reduced to one income, especially if you have children. Don't live within your means. I think you have to live under it.

Special needs people need government assistance. I believe in taking care of the helpless. The problem I have is with the clueless and 99 weeks of unemployment and food stamps and you name it. From what I can tell, they are the reason that my sons services are cut every time I turn around and he will never have the ability to take care of himself. I hope some of the cradle to grave people read this and feel like cr4p about themselves because they should.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,966,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
This thread isn't about food stamps. It's about WIC. We're not talking about school-age children. We're discussing infants and children younger than school-age.
It's the same thing.

Bad parents just don't care. All the money in the world won't solve it.

Do you think the ghetto minded people care about routine doctor and dentist visits for their children?

Hell no!

And, it's not about money. They're lazy. They rush to the ER when the kids ear ache gets too bad and the kid is annoying them, or out of fear of DHS or whatever. If they take the kid, they take the check.

There are plenty of "free" clinics around. It's too much of chore to do the right things though.

Our society of blame everyone else first made this mentality possible.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I readily donate to institutions helping people in need. Plus, about 1/4th of my gross income goes to social security alone here.
Life is all about the well-being of society, not about me or my bank account.
Translation....."I have absolutely no ambition."

Old 02-28-2012, 03:20 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,025,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
First I want to say that my heart goes out to both you and your friend.

Having a special needs child myself I feel I must address this. I think it is the best argument in the world for doing everything you can not to become a single parent, plan your family, choose wisely about who you marry and USE BIRTH CONTROL!!! No, you can't possibly know what is going to happen and that is really the whole point.

The single parent problem and the having more kids that affordable problem is not because of birth control failing, it is because way too often isn't used. Why do you think the problem is so widespread?

I think the biggest mistake people make is planning on living on two incomes. At any given time you may be reduced to one income, especially if you have children. Don't live within your means. I think you have to live under it.

Special needs people need government assistance. I believe in taking care of the helpless. The problem I have is with the clueless and 99 weeks of unemployment and food stamps and you name it. From what I can tell, they are the reason that my sons services are cut every time I turn around and he will never have the ability to take care of himself. I hope some of the cradle to grave people read this and feel like cr4p about themselves because they should.
I completely agree with the bolded statement (and the rest as well). Back in the day, I was 100% insistent that when we bought a house that ALL of our living expenses would covered by one salary (mine) and every penny of her salary would go into savings. Yes, every penny. At the time, that was more than $50,000 into savings annually. This strategy is what protected us from the unexpected.

I agree with you 100%

Old 02-28-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
try buying an aston martin with "the well being of society" and see how far that gets you.

/s
lol

Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why on earth would I even want to try that? I deliberately don't have a driver's license
I KNEW that was coming.

"I'm environmentally friendly!"

Translation.....

"I could never pass the drivers test....even if i did, I couldn't afford a car."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies