Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 03:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

There are lots of things that come into play.
So much today is laxed, so much is exposed to younger kids.
Tough love has flown out the window.

It's not the availability of guns because guns have always been available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
1 Killed, 4 Wounded In School Shooting At Chardon High School « CBS Cleveland

If the above article is accurate, then once again we have a bullied outcast shooter but this time witnesses report he specifically targeted a group of people at one table. If they were among those tormenting him I hope they'll reflect on how they've treated him and other classmates and stop such behavior. I was able to physically deal with my school bullies but this was a time when you fought one on one. Today's youth don't fight one on one anymore. It's the single bullied person versus all of the bullies at once. So out come the guns to even the odds by their reasoning. There's a girl I went to school with who was tormented by classmates from grade school to high school graduation. After school she joined the Army to get away from the area. Met her recently. When she introduced me to her husband, she told him I went to school with her but I wasn't one of those people (those meaning the ones who bullied her). I literally saw him tighten up like he was ready for a fight and then relax when she said I wasn't one of them. I asked her if she would ever go to a reunion. She said no because if she did, it would be with a rifle and a hand gun. Some here have no idea what such daily torment all through school years can do to a person. I feel sorry for the shooter and any shot who were not his tormentors. That is all.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I read that he wasn't going to that school but to their alternative school. So he already had problems.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Quote:
We all know how many more of this kind of school shootings there were then, compared to now.

(Hint: there were far FEWER.)
Actually, that doesn't appear to be the case - Wikipedia has a partial list of school shootings and murders in the US since the 1850's here:

History of School Shootings in the United States

The deadliest school massacre in US history took place in 1927, for example.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
I have scanned through the posts and I hope some you are not implying students should be "allowed" to carry guns in school, do you really want a bunch of hormone crazed teens running around with guns?

I think there is MUCH more to this story and the Governor "honoring" the dead student is a bit premature.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
No concern for the students on your part?
You know this incident will be used as fodder by the anti-gun crowd to push for more restrictions. It happens every time something like this occurs. They gleefully climb over the still warm bodies in order to use the tragedy, loss, and suffering of others to push their agenda. Why bash the OP for attempting to get in a preemptive strike in favor of gun rights?

I'm saddened by what happened to the kids. I'm realistic enough to realize that one more law wouldn't have prevented it.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
At the mall or at the high school...
All American high school kids across the country should carry guns to class. That way anyone who plans a shooting would have to think twice.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
1 Killed, 4 Wounded In School Shooting At Chardon High School « CBS Cleveland

If the above article is accurate, then once again we have a bullied outcast shooter but this time witnesses report he specifically targeted a group of people at one table. If they were among those tormenting him I hope they'll reflect on how they've treated him and other classmates and stop such behavior. I was able to physically deal with my school bullies but this was a time when you fought one on one. Today's youth don't fight one on one anymore. It's the single bullied person versus all of the bullies at once. So out come the guns to even the odds by their reasoning. There's a girl I went to school with who was tormented by classmates from grade school to high school graduation. After school she joined the Army to get away from the area. Met her recently. When she introduced me to her husband, she told him I went to school with her but I wasn't one of those people (those meaning the ones who bullied her). I literally saw him tighten up like he was ready for a fight and then relax when she said I wasn't one of them. I asked her if she would ever go to a reunion. She said no because if she did, it would be with a rifle and a hand gun. Some here have no idea what such daily torment all through school years can do to a person. I feel sorry for the shooter and any shot who were not his tormentors. That is all.
One report I read a student who was sitting with the group targeted and hit by a bullet said one of the students sitting there was dating the shooter's ex.

So he couldn't have been much of a "bullied outcast" if he had a girlfriend. Maybe he was simply a scorned ex-lover.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What I wonder about is the parents of these children that go to school and kill their classmates.

THAT is the root cause of these school shooting issues....
I could agree to a point. However i know some great parents, who have outdone themselves in the parenting department.

Hate to say this, even if the child has had everything, and come from a good family. I have seen parents devestated, because of children like this, or problem children or teens

I was told once by someone that a kid can have it all, if he is a bad seed, he will do bad. This is so sad, that kids who want an education these days, are not even safe in doing so.
I do agree however, that too many of todays parent's are much too busy, to even know what or where there children are.

Bullies is no new thing in our school systems. It is just that todays bullies, have taken bullying to all new level.

And schools also do have a responsibility, to do something when they are told certain kids are bullies. I have heard way too often, that the school's and or principle, shrug off the fact that they have bullies in their schools. Until it is much too late.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
At the mall or at the high school...
All American high school kids across the country should carry guns to class. That way anyone who plans a shooting would have to think twice.
You do understand situations like today would become a daily occurrence across the country?

Most school shooters plan on dying during their act of revenge anyway so they will get at least some of their victims before they are shot or shoot themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies