Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:10 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post

The middle class gets screwed.
That I can agree with, some middle class more than others because of loopholes and using the tax code for social engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 07:33 PM

576 posts, read 586,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That I can agree with, some middle class more than others because of loopholes and using the tax code for social engineering.
Yep, unfortunately I am in the "some more than others" demographic.
16.3% fed, barely under 7% state, 6.2% SS (though that was down to 4.1% this year I think) and 1.45% Medicare.

= a total of >30% (>28% the last year or two with SS being less than normal)

I see some poor bitching about the rich not paying "enough" when they dont pay hardly anything and I see some rich bitching about the poor not paying "anything" when the extremely wealthy can hide/offset some of their income or are too rich to even notice.

Truth is that often its both that need to be paying more (super rich can afford it and super poor get subsidized).

The middle to upper-middle class could really use some of that money they are giving away (unlike the very wealthy) but also dont get the govt bennies (like the poor). They're screwed both ways.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The GOP certainly has used the rhetoric....i'm sure....although I can't think of a time in my lifetime whereas the Class Warfare rhetoric has ever been so great as it is under Barack Obama.
Lol... the only reason is this vitriolic is because the right wing media is saying is this vitriolic. nothing new is being said. the only change is who is being blamed. and you bit into that propaganda campaign hook line and sinker.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
There is class warfare, but it's not the way many people suppose. The so-called One Percent is divided, and may even favor, the Democrats. They certainly live in traditionally blue states like New York, Connecticut, California, etc. The Republican Party is become the party of working class whites and bankrolled a few thousand extraordinarily rich people at the very, very top.

Why is acceptable to decry class warfare while as the same time railing against "the elites"? It doesn't make any sense.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 543 times
Until everyone makes the same amount of money...everyone should NOT pay the same tax rates!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 PM

576 posts, read 586,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derosh View Post
Until everyone makes the same amount of money...everyone should NOT pay the same tax rates!
Until everyone pays the same tax rate, everyone's votes should not be equal!

See how easy that is?

Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 PM

994 posts, read 724,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Since the OWS started and Obama’s been pushing to end the Bush cuts for the top 1% and the public at large has been rallying against big banks, bonuses, and bailouts, the Right has taken to accusing the President of instigating class warfare.
No, since Obama has started instigating class warfare we've taken to pointing out that he's instigating class warfare. See, the way you phrased it, there's a question about whether he's doing it. That is incorrect. There's no question about it. He's doing it.

Quote:
The logic is that he’s blaming the woes of the middle class & the poor on the 1% not contributing their fair share. He’s been blaming the budget deficit and resulting fears about our economic stability on the 1% taking advantage of the system. He’s been blaming the 1% for being selfish and lazy and forcing the rest of the country to pick up the slack or go wanting.

Regardless of how true you think the above is, how is that any different than the “class warfare” that Republicans have waged against those on welfare for the last 30 years?
Well, the top 1% pay 40% of the taxes.

The welfare recipients pay nothing.

How's that for how they are different?

Quote:
If it’s class warfare to say one group isn’t contributing their fair share, then isn’t it also class warfare to say one group is taking more than their fair share?
No. Here's why:

It isn't true that the one group isn't contributing their fair share.

It is true that the other group is taking more than their fair share.

Quote:
If it’s class warfare to blame one group’s hoarding for hurting the country, then isn’t it also class warfare to blame one group’s abuse of the system for hurting the country?
No. Although a certain amount of government is unavoidable, as a general rule the best person to decide what to do with any given dollar is the person who earned that dollar.

So on one side you've got Obama telling people what they should do with with their money. On the other side you've got Republicans trying to allow people to do what they want with their money.

See the difference? One of those things ( we'll call it "free market") has been proven effective at wealth creation and the other one one ( that is "command" or "planned" economy) has historically failed every time.

Quote:
If it’s class warfare to throw out pejoratives like “fat cats” to illustrate the selfishness that’s stopping the country from fixing itself, then isn’t it also class warfare to throw out pejoratives like “welfare queen” to illustrate the same point?

Regardless if the claims are true, the rhetoric is there.
Finally something I can agree with. It does no good to demonize either the rich or the poor. There are good and bad people in both groups.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The GOP certainly has used the rhetoric....i'm sure....although I can't think of a time in my lifetime whereas the Class Warfare rhetoric has ever been so great as it is under Barack Obama.
Lol... the only reason it's this vitriolic is because the right wing media is saying it's this vitriolic. nothing new is being said. the only change is who is being blamed. and you bit into that propaganda campaign hook line and sinker.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:47 PM

308 posts, read 517,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derosh View Post
There is nothing wrong with tax rates that are the same as long as there is some equity for those making less income (credits to make up for necessities -- the way the FairTax would work).

Old 02-29-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
No, since Obama has started instigating class warfare we've taken to pointing out that he's instigating class warfare. See, the way you phrased it, there's a question about whether he's doing it. That is incorrect. There's no question about it. He's doing it.
Regardless if you think he is or isn't, the criteria that the Right has laid out for class warfare has applied to the Republican platform for the last 30 years. They're not accusing him of anything that Reagan & Co. haven't been doing since the 80s.

Quote:
Well, the top 1% pay 40% of the taxes.

The welfare recipients pay nothing.

How's that for how they are different?

No. Here's why:

It isn't true that the one group isn't contributing their fair share.

It is true that the other group is taking more than their fair share.

No. Although a certain amount of government is unavoidable, as a general rule the best person to decide what to do with any given dollar is the person who earned that dollar.

So on one side you've got Obama telling people what they should do with with their money. On the other side you've got Republicans trying to allow people to do what they want with their money.

See the difference? One of those things ( we'll call it "free market") has been proven effective at wealth creation and the other one one ( that is "command" or "planned" economy) has historically failed every time.
You see all those things that you wrote? It's all beside the point. We're talking about what constitutes "class warfare." It doesn't matter what you think is true b/c the side invoking the images believes that it's true. You think the rich are fine, and the poor are the problem. I think it's the opposite. So how does that change that our respective leaders use that knowledge to whip us into a furor?

Quote:
Finally something I can agree with. It does no good to demonize either the rich or the poor. There are good and bad people in both groups.
Then I hope that means you can put this red herring of class warfare to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies