Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 AM

50 posts, read 70,376 times

Advertisements

Excerpt.
Quote:
The Obama administration’s proposed defense budget calls for military families and retirees to pay sharply more for their healthcare, while leaving unionized civilian defense workers’ benefits untouched. The proposal is causing a major rift within the Pentagon, according to U.S. officials. Several congressional aides suggested the move is designed to increase the enrollment in Obamacare’s state-run insurance exchanges...
Significantly, the plan calls for increases between 30 percent to 78 percent in Tricare annual premiums for the first year. After that, the plan will impose five-year increases ranging from 94 percent to 345 percent—more than 3 times current levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 10:29 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
It is if you can't afford to pay the new premiums.
You mean like most of us?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Don't see anything in there that suggests cutting HC benefits.

Again, nothing....

Still nothing.

Ask any civilian if they would love to pay $170.00 per month. for healthcare for their entire family, and see what answer you're given. Military spending consists of 57% of the entire Govt. budget. 57%. If we're going to cut the budget, damn it. cut it, that means for everyone.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISH1973 View Post
Excerpt.

Read the entire article in context: It Says:

Under the new plan, the Pentagon would get the bulk of its savings by targeting under-65 and Medicare-eligible military retirees through a tiered increase in annual Tricare premiums that will be based on yearly retirement pay.

Significantly, the plan calls for increases between 30 percent to 78 percent in Tricare annual premiums for the first year. After that, the plan will impose five-year increases ranging from 94 percent to 345 percent—more than 3 times current levels.

According to congressional assessments, a retired Army colonel with a family currently paying $460 a year for health care will pay $2,048.

The new plan hits active duty personnel by increasing co-payments for pharmaceuticals and eliminating incentives for using generic drugs.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 AM

1,081 posts, read 915,934 times
I pay around $460 a year now, that's chump change. I'll pay more if required, so these dips can continue to hand out free medical to these illegals, criminals, and welfare bums. Gladly.
But I'm now going to abuse the hell out of the system, probably take a little time and get my VA disability rating bumped up another 20% or so.
If crooks, welfare cons and vermin illegals are going to slide by, I might as well get on board.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"The country is broke. The country is broke. The country is broke."

Anyway...

Joint Chiefs Support Rise in Health Care Fees for Military Retirees - NYTimes.com
Yet they continue to have lavish parties and extravert vacations at the tax payers expense!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Yet they continue to have lavish parties and extravert vacations at the tax payers expense!
As opposed to...introvert vacations?

So, no comments on the OP then.
Alrighty.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:37 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
STAY ON TOPIC.

Calling another member a "troll" or telling them they are trolling is considered a PERSONAL ATTACK.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:45 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Increasing pemiums is not the same as cutting benefits.
Exactly! I have a retired military friend (age 47, and doesn't work at all any more) who get Tri-Care. I asked him about it and whatever the raise in premiums would be was still very little money for healthcare. He still essentially has free healthcare compared to the rest of us, and it's for life. This is in no way "destroying" the military!

Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Exactly! I have a retired military friend (age 47, and doesn't work at all any more) who get Tri-Care. I asked him about it and whatever the raise in premiums would be was still very little money for healthcare. He still essentially has free healthcare compared to the rest of us, and it's for life. This is in no way "destroying" the military!

On the nose. I'll bet a whole lot of people in the private sector would love to pay $170.00/per month for family health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies