Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I dislike

-shopping malls
-foreign CSA's
-being jumped on by a salesperson as soon as I walk in the door
-store greeters
-receipt checkers
-tip jars
-baristas or cashiers who ask me my first name
-"Did you find everything you were looking for today?"
-"Can I ask you a question?"
-"Hey have you heard about our new promotion?"
-"What cell phone service do you use?"
-obnoxious saleswomen who demand to know why I don't want to open a store credit card account in order to save 10%
-five feet long receipts that say on the bottom "you saved $xxx amount" today
-being asked for my driver's license so they can scan it and send me junk mail I don't want
-being asked for my email address or phone number [I always give out fake info]

I long for the days when you could walk into a store without being harassed and were greeted with a simple "good afternoon" and then after you make a purchase, "thank you".
all the more reason to do it all online, except grocery shopping.

lol, they ask for your DL?????. ridiculous.

Its bad enough after spending 600.00 on groceries and people are outside asking for donations (except for Xmas when its to be expected).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 02:33 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
all the more reason to do it all online, except grocery shopping.

lol, they ask for your DL?????. ridiculous.

Its bad enough after spending 600.00 on groceries and people are outside asking for donations (except for Xmas when its to be expected).
These days you can even do grocery shopping online! We haven't tried it yet, though!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:37 PM

541 posts, read 860,875 times
One retail store practice that annoys me above all else is when I read a few days ago (it was on GMA this morning too) about Target spying on their customers. I believe the story originated from the NYT, but I read about it on Huffpost.

Makes me think twice about shopping at Target since those who use a credit card to make purchases are the ones they seek the info on.

Oh, and I also hate when the Target cashiers ask me if I want to open a Target credit card to save 10% (big whoop) today! One cashier wouldn't stop asking and withheld my receipt for what seemed like forever insisting I open an account. Should've called for a manager but didn't want to cause a scene!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
These days you can even do grocery shopping online! We haven't tried it yet, though!
Tried it with Peapod. Very expensive and the picks on the produce were upsetting. Good for those who never have time to shop though.

Last edited by Tantamount; 02-28-2012 at 02:57 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 02:52 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
I know Publix in S. Florida has this. Its a great idea. Saves on gas and hassle as well. i guess you pay a fee for delivery?. Its worth it.

You'd think in an economy like this stores would be kissing customers butt to sell more, but apparently customer service is a dead art in retail. I will never go to Kohl's again because of their begging for customers to open a charge account...its so tacky and tawdry.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Me: "I'll have a small black coffee, and that will be it."

Them: "Would you like room for cream?"

Me: "No thanks, just the coffee, black. That will do it."

Them: "How about something from the bakery to go with that?"

It's a game we play. I think they risk losing their job if they don't try and upsell.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,392,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Radio shack, who wants contact information even if you're buying a battery.
They track this at their corporate. I worked there 30 years ago and it was the same pain in the rear policy then.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:58 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,392,657 times
Lowe's, who promises "Free Delivery" and then you find out that you have to mail in the original receipt, and if they don't lose it (which happens in about 87% of the cases), in 8-12 weeks you might get a Visa card loaded with the delivery amount.

That, to me, isn't free delivery. It's a royal pain in the butt.

They may have changed this policy but I was burned by it once.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Receipt-checkers annoy me too.
receipt checkers don't bother me at all.

stopping theft helps keep prices down for the rest of us.

i realize that this isn't a retail store exactly, but i have noticed a lot of theft in the goodwill stores recently.

if i go into the dressing room to try something on, there are a lot of empty hangers in there. i have also seen odd things like 2 people leaving the dressing room, people " bulked up" when they leave (won't see that too much anymore in florida ), and people pushing their baby strollers and shopping carts into the dressing room.

i realize that you may find a very good deal at goodwill or other discount stores, but am getting increasingly annoyed that i am paying for my goods while many are just stealing theirs.

that annoys me.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:07 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Me: "I'll have a small black coffee, and that will be it."

Them: "Would you like room for cream?"

Me: "No thanks, just the coffee, black. That will do it."

Them: "How about something from the bakery to go with that?"

This is the point where you don't respond at all, look them right in the eye, blink a few times, and just don't speak.
Period.

They'll get on with the transaction. Guaranteed.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Checkout people who can't make change rates high on my pet peeve list. I owe you 5.06 and give you 10.01. And they look at me like I've got six heads...

Salespeople don't annoy me as much as telephone customer service and technical support. I can say "no" very easily to a salesperson... it's when I have to jump through hoops to talk to a live person, and then can't understand them that I get upset. They obviously can't understand me either because I end up repeating the problem 10 times before they finally get it wrong. I refuse to use several computer related products, like Netgear for just that reason.

And train your employees!!! I called for a loan payoff once, and ask the girl I was speaking to , "what's the daily per diem?" Her respone.... "what's that?" She also didn't have a clue what accrued interest was. She was trained to put in the name, spit out the payoff; yet couldn't decipher principal from interest... sad... just sad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies