Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Interesting vid - even though I live it often.

At 6'4" - 250 lbs. and black, I get the treatment often - whether it's someone remembering to cut their car alarm on as I walk past their car in a parking lot - or if I am walking the track and gaining on someone, they suddenly get the urge to jog ahead before I get too close.

I don't like it, but I understand it for what it is. Groups of people are linked with certain behaviors. This is not necessarily racism - it's human nature.

Blacks get crime.
White people are racists to many black people.
Arabs get the terrorist tag.
Hispanics get the illegal tag.
Fat people get the greedy tag and they need to diet and exercise.
Rich people get the greedy tag and they need to pay more taxes.
Sagging pants get the ghetto tag.
Long braids that look unkept get the drug user tag.
Politicians all lie.

If a certain group is known for certain behavior - they are tagged - right, wrong, or indifferent - that's just what happens. Everybody does this. To some extent it's a protective mechanism. If I get on a plane and there are Islamists on it, I will be very alert. Sorry - it is what is is.

I don't like when it happens to me, but God made me who I am, I know I will generally not cause any harm - so I get over it.

MSNBC is using the video to keep the fear and divisiveness alive in the culture - which does not help at all.
As more and more Black people get it together; it will help the others and help weaken racist attitudes of white people as a group towards Blacks. Success feeds on success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
As more and more Black people get it together; it will help the others and help weaken racist attitudes of white people as a group towards Blacks. Success feeds on success.
Personally, I don't feel like black people have to change who they are just to pander to folks with ignorant mindsets.

For some people, nothing black people do will be right. Obama has risen to the highest level achievable in the US and even he is questioned about something as ridiculous as his college grades.

I have no problem with "urban wear" as long as it's not in a professional setting. Contrary to what many people want to believe, you shouldn't have to erase your identity to be accepted.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:00 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Yes. Look at how red headed white people "gingers" are sometimes treated in England by other white people. To me that borders of racism event though everyone involved is the same race.
WTF? Red hair is now a race

Old 02-29-2012, 10:24 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,172 times
I imagine racism has always worked about the same.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:21 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Many people have a horrible prejudices and stereotypes of black men, even black people and black women. I am a black woman and I see this and it disgusts me being that I have a black son who I adore. I don't like the fact that the majority of the world will see him as an idiotic, ****-ish, irresponsible, thug. It sickens me the lack of expectations that our black boys face in school and society in general and is something that really bothers me on a personal level.

Racial/Ethnic/Religious stereotyping is a social construct that will continue due to the media and human nature in our country. People want to be "better than." I have hope and even see evidence amongst the younger generations, my generation and younger that these views are diminishing but I doubt during my life time that they will completely disappear.
Thank you for your post.

My thoughts:

There are many successful black people in the business world. I personally know 3 men who are over the top intelligent. Harvard and Yale grads. I don't know if they were able to get their place in university through affirmative action, but they were deserving of it. On the other hand, I worked for a bi-racial lawyer who came from a very comfortable family who went through law school on affirmative action. She was totally incompetent and all I could think was that she took the place of someone who was more deserving. She confused the heck out of me - she was black when it was convenient, bi-racial when it was convenient - and Jewish when it was convenient. And the one thing I heard repeatedly from her was that the firm could not fire her because she was "black". Well, she found out differently.

The 3 men I speak of gave the business world 3 great minds. And in spite of their brillance they still felt the racism. As a result they relocated to where I am because there is a tremendous respect for their abilities.

I believe that black men and women who have succeeded should give back to their community/race. The history of black people who succeeded should not be the role models of todays youth, but let their role models be those who have succeeded today. Rather than black children being told what they can't do by whites and blacks alike, successful black people in the corporate world, as well as, local communities, doctors from local hospitals, local politicians, local business owners, should organize and take the show on the road and send the message to black children what they can do and to know that there will be struggles along the way, but to overcome those stuggles. Lead the youth by example. Teach them that changes have to be made from within themself, even if that means conforming to what is deemed as acceptable social behavior and dress. Make the children aware of what is available to them and use it. Black children but need to understand that there are role models within their own community who aren't famous, but succeeded. Success isn't measured in fame - being a rapper, a singer, an actor. The only cost to those who bring positive awareness to children is time.

I hope for your son that it is a better world when his time comes.

To the person who repped me with a comment: You are exactly what is wrong with the world today. Don't hide behind a message no one can see, be big enough of a person and put it out there for all to see.

Last edited by softblueyz; 03-01-2012 at 12:29 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
rich people dont steal bikes they got 3 in the garage. look at the way the 1st kid is dressed, he got money. poor people steal bikes.. u have colorized the event. u proved it's not racial by asking black people why they didnt turn in the 1st thief.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:37 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
to the person who repped me with a comment: You are exactly what is wrong with the world today.
lol. sweet

Old 03-01-2012, 12:38 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
could it be the fact that maybe the People themselves are the varible not the race?
That is a very valid point, but there really isn't a way to control for the variability that you've pointed out. Nonetheless as imperfect the experiment we can derive some idea of how conscious or even unconscious bias operates.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:29 AM

409 posts, read 254,356 times
"According to numerous sources African Americans are approximately six times more likely to spend time in prison or jail, and eight times more likely to commit violent crimes than whites (based on both arrest and conviction statistics and victim crime reports" Wikipedia

Why shouldn't we profile them?

Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
"According to numerous sources African Americans are approximately six times more likely to spend time in prison or jail, and eight times more likely to commit violent crimes than whites (based on both arrest and conviction statistics and victim crime reports" Wikipedia

Why shouldn't we profile them?
More than likely if white people grew up under the same circumstances you would get the same results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies