U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:51 PM

10,136 posts, read 13,287,751 times

Advertisements

ok,I'll reserve my comments for latter,for now plain and simple say your thoughts,explain your viewpoint.

Some think it is right that marijuana be illegal...why?And if you think it should stay illegal why do you think alchohol should remain legal.What's the difference?

We had a poll a while ago and overwhelmingly people voted for legalization.

So lets have a straight out debate so all views can be put on the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 07:57 PM

2,078 posts, read 153,090 times
Many people do not use marijuana because of the risk of arrest but once it is made legal more people would be stoned and behind the wheel of their cars.

Don't we have enough death at the hands of drunk drivers do we need to have everyone on the road stoned? I am actually for medical marijuana if there was a way to really control it....unfortunately I don't think so.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:59 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,908,411 times
I think the people that vote for legalization are only because they smoke it, generally speaking. It is logical to legalize though, more cops for other crimes, taxing it, regulation, controlling sources (such as getting heroin from places other than the Taliban/Afganistan), etc.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:59 PM

7,691 posts, read 9,188,615 times
What's the difference between alcohol and marijuana? Easy. Alcohol is a legal way to "escape reality."

Besides that. There's not too much different, except according to the media *movies, TV*

Those who smoke pot are lowlifes
Wine is sophisticated

Old 09-07-2007, 08:00 PM

14,724 posts, read 16,421,487 times
First let me say that I favor the legalization of marijuana for personal use, within one's home.

BUT, the key difference between alcohol and marijuana is that one can have a glass of wine without becoming "intoxicated" or mentally impaired. It might have a physiological effect on the body, but it's not to the point of impairment unless more and more is consumed.

The whole POINT of smoking marijuana, though, is to become "intoxicated" (high). Does anyone smoke marijuana casually with dinner, or isn't the whole point to impair or effect mental state of minds?

At any rate, I think people should be able to smoke it, so long as it's treated as being in an intoxicated state when that person DOES take it, which means no driving, no operating of heavy machinery, no babysitting children, etc.!!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Many people do not use marijuana because of the risk of arrest but once it is made legal more people would be stoned and behind the wheel of their cars.

Don't we have enough death at the hands of drunk drivers do we need to have everyone on the road stoned? I am actually for medical marijuana if there was a way to really control it....unfortunately I don't think so.
The risk of driving while high deaths or accidents will not be increased to anything above what it is now. That's because people who smoke marijuana do so regardless of its legal status.

Does anybody here SERIOUSLY know of ANYONE who doesn't smoke marijuana solely because it's "illegal," but would take it up tomorrow if made legal?

..... Anybody?

Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 PM

10,136 posts, read 13,287,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
I think the people that vote for legalization are only because they smoke it, generally speaking. It is logical to legalize though, more cops for other crimes, taxing it, regulation, controlling sources (such as getting heroin from places other than the Taliban/Afganistan), etc.
I won't comment much yet but let me say I do not smoke,I am for legalization.

carry on.....

Old 09-07-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The risk of driving while high deaths or accidents will not be increased to anything above what it is now. That's because people who smoke marijuana do so regardless of its legal status.

Does anybody here SERIOUSLY know of ANYONE who doesn't smoke marijuana solely because it's "illegal," but would take it up tomorrow if made legal?

..... Anybody?

My sister. She used to smoke but now that she has grown up and has a business the thought of being arrested for illegal possession scares her.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
First let me say that I favor the legalization of marijuana for personal use, within one's home.

BUT, the key difference between alcohol and marijuana is that one can have a glass of wine without becoming "intoxicated" or mentally impaired. It might have a physiological effect on the body, but it's not to the point of impairment unless more and more is consumed.

The whole POINT of smoking marijuana, though, is to become "intoxicated" (high). Does anyone smoke marijuana casually with dinner, or isn't the whole point to impair or effect mental state of minds?

At any rate, I think people should be able to smoke it, so long as it's treated as being in an intoxicated state when that person DOES take it, which means no driving, no operating of heavy machinery, no babysitting children, etc.!!

Excellent point! Many people have a drink just to relax without the intent to get high but like TriMT7 has pointed out that is the whole point with marijuana.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post

I've never touched the stuff in my life, yet I am for legalization because I recognize the lessons of Prohibition. How many murders and how much crime in this country is directly related to the "War on Drugs"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl
My sister. She used to smoke but now that she has grown up and has a business the thought of being arrested for illegal possession scares her.
Ok, but now wouldn't that SAME fear of losing everything because of possession ALSO work to stop her from "driving while high" and losing everything if caught doing so?

Law abiding people don't drink and drive. Any law abiding person that today doesn't do drugs ONLY because it's "illegal" would logically ALSO tend to obey laws prohibiting driving while high or under the influence, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies