Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:56 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times

Advertisements

This is not news; it was pretty well covered when the Jefferson-Hemmings controversy was all over media a few years ago. The rumors of a theocracy, then as now were greatly exaggerated. The Maryland toleration act of 1649 established the tradition of religious freedom in America and we have been progressing towards that dream ever since.
Maryland Toleration Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I haven't heard anything from Mitt, Rick, Newt, or Ron to the contrary. It is only so-called liberals these days who wish to coerce others to submit to their beliefs. Case in point the effort to require Catholic institutions like Georgetown to pay for contraceptives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've been telling Atheists for 3 decades to go create their own Bible and see if they can get BILLIONS of followers worldwide to adhere to it and embrace it. I've yet to hear of an Atheist Bible that will transcend time and galvanize centuries of followers the way the Christian Bible has.

Until then, human attempts to "create a Bible" for the sake of being a Jesus Hater is just absurd. I don't care if it's Thomas Jefferson or Johnny Rotten or Bozo The Clown.
Point #1 - The post is more or less about the hijacking of an integral portion of American History by revisionists.

Point #2 - When a person does not take the Bible literally, it does not necessarily make them an Atheist...perfect example being the Founding Fathers

Point #3 - Most people do not "adhere" to the teachings of the Bible. If they did, there would not be the atrocities that have occurred all in the name of religion.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This is not news; it was pretty well covered when the Jefferson-Hemmings controversy was all over media a few years ago. The rumors of a theocracy, then as now were greatly exaggerated. The Maryland toleration act of 1649 established the tradition of religious freedom in America and we have been progressing towards that dream ever since.
Maryland Toleration Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I haven't heard anything from Mitt, Rick, Newt, or Ron to the contrary. It is only so-called liberals these days who wish to coerce others to submit to their beliefs. Case in point the effort to require Catholic institutions like Georgetown to pay for contraceptives.
Correct, the founders, even Hamilton, would find the power of the federal government today horrifying. To tell Catholic organizations they must promote sin is certainly a violation of seperation of church and state.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
As T.J. also said " the studious perusal of the Christian makes for a better (man)" Please dont go hating on Christians because some loud mouth mega preacher or politician.
Who exactly is this post addressing?

Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Correct, the founders, even Hamilton, would find the power of the federal government today horrifying. To tell Catholic organizations they must promote sin is certainly a violation of seperation of church and state.
A Catholic hospital is an employer and it should not have the right to pick an choose which labor laws to respect fully or partially. A university or medical center has a variety of employees and their goals extend beyond religious faith. For them , this isn't the church, it is an employer.

That being said...this is not the subject of the thread and if you wish to engage in one that is about the Catholic Church and contraception, there are 47,000 other ones on CD to choose from.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Point #2 - When a person does not take the Bible literally, it does not necessarily make them an Atheist...perfect example being the Founding Fathers
Quote:
from Monticello, under date of January 9, 1816, he says: "I, too, have made a wee little book from the same materials, which I call the Philosophy of Jesus; it is a paradigma of his doctrines, made by cutting the texts out of the book, and arranging them on the pages of a blank book, in a certain order of time or subject. A more beautiful or precious morsel of ethics I have never seen; it is a document in proof that I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus."
The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth: Extracted Textually from the Gospels Greek, Latin, French, and English

Old 02-28-2012, 06:40 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've been telling Atheists for 3 decades to go create their own Bible and see if they can get BILLIONS of followers worldwide to adhere to it and embrace it. I've yet to hear of an Atheist Bible that will transcend time and galvanize centuries of followers the way the Christian Bible has.

Until then, human attempts to "create a Bible" for the sake of being a Jesus Hater is just absurd. I don't care if it's Thomas Jefferson or Johnny Rotten or Bozo The Clown.
Scientology ain't doin' too bad and Christianity had a couple thousand years head start. Just sayin'.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:45 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,112 times
I cannot help but laugh whenever someone resurrects the "founding fathers" for some improbable thesis in a vain effort to rewrite our history. Our so-called founding fathers, when viewed candidly, were colorful enough characters without our adding varnish to them. Franklin, who is considered to be the "First American" came close to forsaking hearth and home for England. Even Jefferson, with all his slaves (he owned over 600 during his lifetime), was hardly the egalitarian we would have him be; and despite the efforts of modern-day Christians to convert him, in truth he was a deist, who had no qualms about revising the Bible to suit himself. See The Jefferson Bible: The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth (1820). The "times that try men’s souls" bring out firebrands like Paine; who, if he was not a founding father, was certainly the midwife of American independence, and abetter to the overthrow of the French monarchy as well. Like Jesus, we would not be able to stand him. (Indeed, Paine was such a pain in the arse that he managed to make himself persona non grata in England, America and France!) Our perception of these characters is clouded by the dark glass of history, and distorted by attributions that represent so much wishful (rather than critical) thinking. It is like crediting Rembrandt’s paintings with depth of hue when their darkness is due to his having used cheap paint.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 PM

Jefferson extracted what he felt was useful to him, as he so eloquently put it..."I have performed the operation for my own use," he continued, "by cutting verse by verse out of the printed book, and arranging the matter, which is evidently his and which is as easily distinguished as diamonds in a dunghill."

The Founding Fathers were examples of the intelligent thinking men of The Age of Enlightenment. Now we are now subject to candidates that spew nonsense about the devil taking over the public school system. Sorry, but if the public school system or any other system needs an overhaul, it is not the devil that is responsible. It is doing these founders a disservice when their logic is overlooked and claims are made that they founded the nation as a Christian one, when so clearly, they did not. I am not bashig Christians nor am I bashing their faith...I am calling them out on revising a history that should be preserved and not distorted.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:52 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
A Catholic hospital is an employer and it should not have the right to pick an choose which labor laws to respect fully or partially. A university or medical center has a variety of employees and their goals extend beyond religious faith. For them , this isn't the church, it is an employer.

That being said...this is not the subject of the thread and if you wish to engage in one that is about the Catholic Church and contraception, there are 47,000 other ones on CD to choose from.
Labor laws that are in violation of the First Amendment should not be upheld by the courts

It is certainly part of the thread when you are addressing the beliefs of the founding fathers. They believed that the federal government should not have the power to interfere with an individuals faith. The founding fathers were influenced by the concept of natural rights and did not seperate the property rights of a homeowner from those of a business owner. They both had property rights and property in their rights. The concept that individuals give up rights when they put an open for business sign on their door was foreign to our founding fathers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies