Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When you think of feminists or someone who calls themselves one, you think of:
Mostly good, pleasant person, a positive image 27 21.95%
Mostly bad, unpleasant person, a negative image 65 52.85%
neutral/no particular opinion or care about the word used or topic brought up 31 25.20%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:23 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times

Advertisements

I think of a neurotic women with a Type A personality when I hear feminist...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 04:24 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
I think there's something wrong with a man who claims to be a feminist, supports feminism, or is married to one.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I think there's something wrong with a man who claims to be a feminist, supports feminism, or is married to one.
I think theres something wrong with little boys that are obsessed with the subject of feminism.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:54 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
There is definitely something wrong with a 'man'() who doesn't believe a human should have equal rights as other humans do....who despises 50% of the population because they have a vagina rather than a penis,

who is terrified of a woman with an opinion...

who is terrified of women who object to being raped and beaten...

who believes, like you, that women are animals to be used as "men " see fit..

Old 03-01-2012, 04:55 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think the good balances the bad out. The backlash against what people PERCEIVE to be 'Feminism' is definitely growing among both men and women. Personally I agree with most of the original principles of feminism, but of course there is an undercurrent of misandry in the more extreme elements of the 'movement.' As a movement it's mostly dead and is otherwise used as a code-word for female supremacy and perceived male emasculation.

As for people who specifically identify as 'feminists.' I'm often suspicious of them. I don't think women need to specifically label themselves to eschew the values and principles of equality and women's rights.
I don't think you see how you personify radical right wing propaganda's agenda to discredit the true conservative (and liberal) principles defining true feminism. Hugh Hefner and Phylis Schlafly are not feminists, but they are cartoons of exploitation. So too is Patti Stanger. Anyone can twist a Bible around to make it read whatever they care to. Thing is-- who believes the gibberish they're spewing?

No doubt misandry does exist, but in the last place most ever think to look. The most conniving diabolical women holding mankind in utter contempt live and thrive in social conservative circles. They're the true believers in female supremacy. The common expression among them is-- the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world. It's incredibly desperate, but it is sadly the only space patriarchal dominated philosophy has permitted them to garner any sense of self esteem. If they have 20 babies they can't afford they're doing God's will. Their social/ cultural concept of "god" is... a pimp. Men taught them that (inadvertently, or intentionally- decide for yourself). The female role models in their lives reinforced it. They're highly susceptible to mental illness, which becomes further evidence why they ought to live as kept women/ perpetually infant state in a marriage contract.

True feminists do not embrace supremacy of either gender. That's not what equality, equal opportunity, or embracing free will to our utmost as human beings is about. Radical right has an agenda to maintain poverty, ignorance, and a divided nation pitting mankind against womankind. "Rights" are a thing that can be stolen from anyone at any time in an infernal sibling rivalry played out politically, in media, and in court rooms. If I don't hand my life savings over to the NRA, my second amendment right is at risk. "Rights" are the right to prey on all others. It's profitable for them to do so. Dead children and wives be damned. Daughters raped & murdered be damned. They failed to abide the male worshiping male standard and shall be persecuted.

False accusations of misandry are a smokescreen for dysfunctional males convinced that rights= the right to make a career avoiding accountability. See clearly how wh*re monger Rush points his bony finger of denial at "sl*ts" expecting birth control to be covered in insurance policies that reflect their needs.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:55 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I think of a neurotic women with a Type A personality when I hear feminist...
Your total lack of experience with members of the opposite sex has warped your view.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

I hate the word "feminist," I wish we were all equalists.
That would be the definition of humanist, would it not? Can't get there from here when human rights only apply to half the species.

Traditionally it's a 'man's job' to defend a woman's dignity, however, it's been a reliable pretext to coax womankind to abandon free will as a subordinate in religion, and yet incredulously, be legally held 100% libel holding the bag.

As women step up to defend their own dignity, faux republicans and faux religious shut them out of the courtroom. So, the very court, the very religions, are in utter contempt for the very citizens they claim to defend and serve. They're serving themselves as any other pig at a trough drunk on power & vainglory. In their minds, if women have rights, they 'lose' rights. The rights they're defending are the 'rights' to avoid accountability as men. It only makes them weaker and more desperate convinced feminists are doing it to them. Fact: It's all self inflicted.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Another issue: what would be the symmetrical equivalent of "feminist" in the male species? A chauvinist, maybe?

Isn't that a negative word?
No law is on the books prohibiting any male from buying tampax. If they really want to push their irrational extreme cartoon concept of equality, they're free to use tampax. I have no use for a jock, nor do I feel compelled to legally prohibit you or anyone from utilizing one as a legalized treatment redefining your gender as a 'defective female'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
LOL! The female equivalent of a chauvinist is a chauvinist, and the male equivalent of a feminist is a feminist (or perhaps an egalitarian). All egalitarians are essentially feminists by default anyway.
Pretty much true. Egalitarian describes the nature and quality of every healthy marriage I've ever witnessed in my lifetime. When a couple speaks softer with one another outsiders can delude themselves into the belief that strong personalities have been weakened into strange notions of mutual acquiescence. I don't know, what do you want to do? I don't know, whatever you prefer to do... in a never ending closed loop of dysfunctional inaction. This is a hollowed out churlish concept of what they are viewing similarly the way strong and silent men are believed weak for 'failure' to carry on male posturing contests with juvenile knaves in adult bodies.

The strength of their convictions remains true, their personal integrity as individuals remains intact, but their discipline over themselves is elevated. They do not wildly overreact like drama queen teenagers over a broken finger nail or a dinner that wasn't served at precisely 6pm. They do get angry with one another as human beings naturally do in the course of human relations, but they manage it far better than most, with truth having a higher priority than who wins/loses. The marriage itself is treated in a loving way as if it were their first born child.

1 Corinthians 13:4
It's interesting to see (@bible.com) how many ways/ versions these simple verses have been stretched and strained by theologians to justify it's opposite intent. Some even take an angry tone towards the concept of love itself displacing the word with SHE as if spitting on the ground and simultaneously pointing at jealousy.

Love is just that gosh darned scary.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
When someone says they're a feminist, I think they're female supremacists.
You're free to compete with femininity shaving your legs, painting your face, and wearing a ball gown. That's another way to 'own'/ 'compete' women that doesn't involve actual legal ownership of women. Knock yourself out. I'd thank you not to blame me how you lost your masculinity as you were crudely attempt to steal my femininity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I wanted to know social attitudes on the street (or in this case, an online forum), rather than a formal definition setting (ie. this poll is more like asking someone "on the street" do you find feminist as a positive or negative label) precisely because I came across inconsistent usage of the term (some people using it to describe egalitarian-thinking people, others to describe misandrists, others to describe say, hip college students etc.).
One definition installed in the minds of right wing: feminist= a divorced woman who failed to properly manipulate her mate into moral compliance.

Another interpretation among philosophically subtle conservative religious leaning
feminist= a 'failure' @ pacifism.

(I'm quite proud of the latter myself )
I think I'll step off of this thread unless called. It's everything I can do to keep from pointing and laughing.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
You're free to compete with femininity shaving your legs, painting your face, and wearing a ball gown. That's another way to 'own'/ 'compete' women that doesn't involve actual legal ownership of women. Knock yourself out. I'd thank you not to blame me how you lost your masculinity as you were crudely attempt to steal my femininity.

One definition installed in the minds of right wing: feminist= a divorced woman who failed to properly manipulate her mate into moral compliance.

Another interpretation among philosophically subtle conservative religious leaning
feminist= a 'failure' @ pacifism.

(I'm quite proud of the latter myself )
I think I'll step off of this thread unless called. It's everything I can do to keep from pointing and laughing.
I'll let you know if the usual suspects get out of line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies