U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM

5,685 posts, read 2,177,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Standard BS line when you don't want to get caught up in a media firestorm.
But there was more in the article:

Late Tuesday, Johnson received a letter of apology from the Rev. Barry Knestout, one of the archdiocese’s highest-ranking administrators, who said the lack of “kindness” she and her family received “is a cause of great concern and personal regret to me.”
“I am sorry that what should have been a celebration of your mother’s life, in light of her faith in Jesus Christ, was overshadowed by a lack of pastoral sensitivity,” Knestout wrote. “I hope that healing and reconciliation with the Church might be possible for you and any others who were affected by this experience. In the meantime, I will offer Mass for the happy repose of your mother’s soul. May God bring you and your family comfort in your grief and hope in the Resurrection"[end quote]

This priest understands humanity and compassion; the other priest puts himself before Christ, whose associates were considered sinners by the
Sanhedrin...gentiles, tax collectors, a temple priestess. The priest who judged Ms. Johnson unfit for consolation has no business dealing with the general Catholic body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 PM

29,990 posts, read 18,675,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm sure she has a civil rights attorney on speed dial.
Receiving communion is not a "civil right".

Old 02-29-2012, 04:16 PM

4,905 posts, read 1,726,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Receiving communion is not a "civil right".

That's right!

Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM

13,466 posts, read 4,973,862 times
Quote:
Also, who put this funeral together? Why didn't they make sure they had a tolerant church/priest for this funeral?
Do you realize how ridiculous that question is?

Why should a priest be "tolerant" of unrepentant sin, and offer communion? Do you understand anything at all about sin, redemption, and what it means to take communion?

Amazing. <shaking my head in amazement>

Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 PM

1,001 posts, read 247,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Read. The. Article.

"Archdiocese officials at first issued a short statement saying that the priest’s actions were against “policy” and that they would look into it as a personnel issue."
Uh...your quote is does not speak to "politics" in any way whatsoever.

Incorrectly following archdiocese rules is not equivalent to inserting politics into the situation. The one does not imply the other.

So before you take an attitude and tell people to "Read. The. Article" I suggest you follow your own advice, and this time actually try to read for comprehension.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM

13,466 posts, read 4,973,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There's a time and a place to make your political point.
The greatest moment of grief in someone's life isn't it.

That being said, how the hell did her sexuality even come up at a funeral?
It's possible that the priest already knew of this, and that she was unrepentant.

Can we quit using this trite phrase, please? "That being said ..." It doesn't make you sound more intelligent. That phrase is so overworked! It is not needed to make you point.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:31 PM

13,693 posts, read 4,456,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
If you live by Church rules, you can participate in Church sacraments.
If you openly defy Church rules, then you don't get Church sacraments.
There was a dude who said something to religious elders about standing on rules vs. being an agent of mercy and forgiveness. Jewish, long hair - what was that name again?

Old 02-29-2012, 05:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 6,633,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm sure she has a civil rights attorney on speed dial.
Yeah and her case will go nowhere.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:19 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,910,470 times
I'm sure there is no civil rights issue here and none will be brought up. It just isn't so.
I do wonder why anyone would want to take part in a church that has such an attitude about one's private life.
To the rest of us, it's just a cracker, right? Why would this sad daughter care what the church does or thinks about her soul regarding who she loves?
Perhaps she shouldn't have gone up for the cracker if she knew the church denies her soul. If it was simply a matter of choice for the priest, shame on him for cruelty.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:31 PM

4,319 posts, read 1,024,568 times
Quote:
Where is this church policy so that we can all read it. Are you Catholic? Do you know the requirements for taking/accepting communion?
From what I've read, Canon Law 915 is why the priest refused---

'Those who have been excommunicated or interdicted after the imposition or declaration of the penalty and others obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin are not to be admitted to holy communion.'

That's the same canon some Catholic leaders use who've called for refusing communion to politicians who support abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies