Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 PM

994 posts, read 724,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There's a time and a place to make your political point.
The greatest moment of grief in someone's life isn't it.

That being said, how the hell did her sexuality even come up at a funeral?
If you live by Church rules, you can participate in Church sacraments.
If you openly defy Church rules, then you don't get Church sacraments.

There's nothing "political" about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 03:32 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
D.C. archdiocese: Denying Communion to lesbian at funeral was against ‘policy’ - The Washington Post

On the one hand, I can understand her grief. On the other, if this particular church does not agree with homosexuality, should they be forced to give someone communion?

Also, who put this funeral together? Why didn't they make sure they had a tolerant church/priest for this funeral?
This really makes no sense, especially considering that the vast majority of nuns are lesbians and many of the priests themselves are homosexual. The church has long been a haven for homosexuals who go into the priesthood or into the convent in order to not have to explain their lifestyles to family.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:34 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Where is this church policy so that we can all read it. Are you Catholic? Do you know the requirements for taking/accepting communion?
Why don't you just read the article? Geezus.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
If you live by Church rules, you can participate in Church sacraments.
If you openly defy Church rules, then you don't get Church sacraments.

There's nothing "political" about that.
Read. The. Article.

"Archdiocese officials at first issued a short statement saying that the priest’s actions were against “policy†and that they would look into it as a personnel issue."

Old 02-29-2012, 03:41 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
Quote:
Why don't you just read the article? Geezus.
I did....would only seem fair since I posted this thread. Did you also read my follow-up posts regarding communion?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
Quote:
Read. The. Article.

"Archdiocese officials at first issued a short statement saying that the priest’s actions were against “policy†and that they would look into it as a personnel issue."
Standard BS line when you don't want to get caught up in a media firestorm.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:46 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
That's religion for you. The sooner people get rid of it, the better.
I know some very relgious people so it seems. With religious people you never know. I also know a lot of people who view and share your same sentiments on relgion.

So many people i know feel that in religion there is so many hypocrites. That use relgion, to hide and escape what and who they are.
In certain religions there is so much hypocrisy, you have priests on one hand who for so long, were doing dirty little deeds, and there is pastors, on the other hand, doing their dirty little deeds.
How long were priests before their dirty little secrets aired, had gotten communion!
And i have many friends who feel that some of our world problems exist because of Religion.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:49 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,130 times
Quote:
Is this not a case of forcing a church to do something that is against their doctrine/belief system?

If religion shouldn't infringe on the rights of gays (a la the gay marriage debate), why should gays be allowed to infringe on the rights of preists/churches?

Exactly right!

Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 PM

I have no issue with religions and churches making their own rules and asking that people live by them in order to be part of the religion. Your club, your rules.

If this was so important to the priest/religion, the issue should have been addressed right away - not in the middle of the very sad ceremony. THAT is what makes it stupid and political. Making it public and ridiculous like that.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,491 times
Quote:
D.C. archdiocese: Denying Communion to lesbian at funeral was against ‘policy’ - The Washington Post

On the one hand, I can understand her grief. On the other, if this particular church does not agree with homosexuality, should they be forced to give someone communion?

Also, who put this funeral together? Why didn't they make sure they had a tolerant church/priest for this funeral?
It is the churches right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies