Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:18 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The concept is really a way to keep farmers in business and a safety net to prevent a repeat of the 1930's bread lines. But since the conservative economic policies of the last 30 years have put us in the current condition you need to come up with some new ideas that will work better then what the current crop of Repub. have
Then, there are the hidden savings found in health care costs due to malnutrition, increased crime as the hungry turn to stealing to survive, driving up law enforcement and incarceration costs, and a myriad of other effects of not having food stamps.

For those worrying about the cost of providing stamps (actually, it's a pre-loaded debit card these days) consider what it would cost you without them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
This illustrates precisely where we are as a nation. Everyone should stop to think about how low a country has to be when it starts talking in chorus that food stamps are good for the economy.

Fiscal, moral, and cultural decay has eaten us from the inside out and this is the mentality that results.

Welcome to Liberal Utopia! Grab a food stamp application and enjoy!

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Created? Yes. Treated? No.

Anyways, how is stealing money from Supermarkets the same? They get reimbursed for the food stamps. There are supermarket chains where food stamps are 25+% of their yearly sales and they make areas that are designated "Food Stamp" shopping areas for people so they know what they can and cannot buy.

Abusing the system is not good but apparently the cost of the food stamp program is less than the cost of taking care of the medical issues of starving families and cleaning up dead bodies all of the country.
Quite the combination of hyperbole and nonsense

Old 03-02-2012, 07:20 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Quite the combination of hyperbole and nonsense
This is a political thread and time of year. Nonsense is all there is

Besides....how often is the radical extreme the defense when it comes to other topics (not going to derail thread by listing those) but I figured I would jump in on the fun?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:21 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
The couple that live across the road from us are very, very liberal. Nice folks and we get along great. But, during a discussion about politics (which we try to avoid usually), she told me and I quote, "Our national debt is good, it's like credit card debit. And that's the best kind of debt. So we can keep paying for all our social programs, like food stamps."
Unbelievable. This is the kind mentality that forces me to burn lots of emotional energy trying to understand where these ignorant individuals come from.

The United States is circling the drain. I will not be convinced otherwise when there are idiots such as your neighbor walking the planet.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This illustrates precisely where we are as a nation. Everyone should stop to think about how low a country has to be when it starts talking in chorus that food stamps are good for the economy.

Fiscal, moral, and cultural decay has eaten us from the inside out and this is the mentality that results.

Welcome to Liberal Utopia! Grab a food stamp application and enjoy!

I'm really beginning to think that my family should just quit working and sign up ,because I really would like to do my part to stimulate the economy.... apparently, I missed the boat years ago and have been thinking the wrong way...

Old 03-02-2012, 07:41 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Unbelievable. This is the kind mentality that forces me to burn lots of emotional energy trying to understand where these ignorant individuals come from.

The United States is circling the drain. I will not be convinced otherwise when there are idiots such as your neighbor walking the planet.
And you want to know the SCARIER part... These two are college educated people...

Old 03-02-2012, 07:46 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
You hypocrites are freaking beleivable! If the president cut off the food stamp program would you be happy? Hell No, because than the businessmen would complain that the farmers are getting screwed and have to start laying off more workers. You do realize that the food stamp program falls under the Dept of Agriculture?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
I personally know of one person who has received food stamps, a single mom. She received $400/monthly and no other government assistance and the baby's father was non-compliaint regarding child support. She found work for a six month contract and benefits were reduced. Back to $400/monthly after the contract expiration and another stint of being unemployed. She found employment again a few months later ($10/hr and 40hr/week) and the benefits were reduced. I know this person obviously and laziness was not an issue. Child Support enforcement from the State was proceeding very slowly with no result. I did a budget for her once and noted there was a very thin margin of solvency without the food stamps. One year later, she improved her condition with a higher paying wages and food stamp provision has terminated due to increased income levels. That is a success story thus far.

Of course it could also be said there would be no need for food stamps and other tax payer investment if sound judgement or just plain precautions had been used in terms of relationships resulting in a child which could not be supported. It is a hell of thing to be 19, raising a child and no spouse/significant other and only a HS diploma.

I also have heard regarding food stamp abuses.

The program has merits but the safeguards and criteria need to be re-examined.

As a man and an adult I would ashamed to claim food stamps but would do so if it truly were needed to support my family. I would also try to escape being on charity-private or public by my own means. Both legal and ethical.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:49 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Mark Thompson on XM Radio stated it as "fact" and then went crazy on a caller who said that maybe everyone should be on Food Stamps.

nancy pelosi also stated that food stamps were "stimulative".

I mean, really!

To follow this assertion to its logical conclusion, wouldn't everyone being on food stamps be even better?

I hope you all see my sarcasm.

This is why liberalism is a mental disorder.
He's only repeating what the Secretary of Agriculture said last August.

"U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack backed a White House claim that food stamps, which the Department of Agriculture administers, actually constitute a stimulus program, describing it as “the most direct stimulus you can get into the economy during these tough times.” The reason the number of recipients has increased is that the federal government has been working more closely with local governments to get more Americans on food stamps, Vilsack said."

Ag Secretary Vilsack: Food Stamps Stimulate Jobs

What he really should have said is make more people dependent on the federal dole and it will stimulate Democrat voting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies